New Pool Owner - Dead bird

nimish

Sep 17, 2018
San Ramon, CA
Hello,

I recently bought a house with a pool, we found a dead baby falcon in our pool. It was not decomposed so it was taken out and thrown in the garbage. Leslies said that fresh n' clear should be enough to sanitize/shock the water, is that true? Could the community help me out in recommending what I should do?

My water test:

FAC: 4PPM
TAC: 4PPM
Salt: 2600PPM
CH: 300
CYA: 60
TA: 110
pH: 8.0
Acid Demand: 2
copper: 0
iron: 0
Pho: 0

My pool setup is as follows:

Pool type: concrete/plaster/marcite

Pumps:
pool pump: Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pool Pump 011018
spa pump: pentair pump - not sure about the model number

Pool heater: pentair master temp 400

Filter: pentair clean and clear plus 520

SWG: Hayward goldline Aquarite - t15 cell

Jandy Aqualink RS

Cleaner: polaris cleaner bot with booster pump

Howdy!

1. Stop letting the pool store test your water and invest in one of the Recommended Test Kits if you want to take control of your pool
2. I find dead things in my pool all the time (mice, frogs, lizards, etc). I do not add anything special. You just need to maintain the correctly FC as a function of your CYA level according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

70-80ppm is the recommended CYA for a SWG to better protect the FC from the sun, but since the season is winding down, no worries with the CYA a little low.

I would certainly raise it up to 80ppm at the start of next season (after you confirm there is nothing growing in the water that would warrant the SLAM Process process to clear up).

got it, so according to that fc/cya chart I would still need to increase my cya levels for my swcg pool from 60 to 70?

Depends on your pool. My pool does not see a lot of sun, so min CYA of 60ppm works fine for me. Once the pool is open in the spring I’ll raise to 70ppm. I check my CYA every couple of weeks in the summer, if I get two 60ppm in a row, I add 10ppm.

What’s your daily FC loss?

Depends on your pool. My pool does not see a lot of sun, so min CYA of 60ppm works fine for me. Once the pool is open in the spring I’ll raise to 70ppm. I check my CYA every couple of weeks in the summer, if I get two 60ppm in a row, I add 10ppm.

What’s your daily FC loss?

Not sure what my daily FC loss is yet, just bought the house and I'm new to pool maint. haven't even gone in my pool yet as we have a 2 year old and a new born coming at the end of Oct. and I wanted to make sure everything was squared away. I'm in San Ramon, CA and we get a good amount of sun through out the day. Here are a few pictures of the pool

IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3843.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Need to also get rid of all that calcium build up on the walls.

You can minimize the calcium build up by managing your CSI (Pool School - Calcium Saturation Index (CSI)). You will need your own proper test kit and the use of PoolMath to manage that.

Order a TF100 test kit
The only other real option for a test kit is a Taylor K-2006-C. Be careful comparing prices because the K-2006 comes in sizes, designated by a letter. The basic K-2006 has .75oz bottles. You need to get the K-2006-C to get the larger bottles that you want.
I also have the SpeedStir. It makes testing much easier.

Please add a signature. Read Pool School - Read This BEFORE You Post
Information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

I'll get my signature filled in with all the info once I get back to the house and look at all the model info etc.

But back to my original question, do I have to do anything after finding that dead baby falcon in the pool? Would the fresh n clear take care of things or do I need to use something else to clean/sanitize the pool water?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We generally do not recommend any solid forms of chlorine as they all add something that you may not need. Hard to know without valid test results.

If you feel the need to add something, then just add some plain old bleach ... maybe a couple extra ppm of FC (use PoolMath).
But, there is really no need to add anything extra if you are maintaining the FC above the minimum for your CYA in the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA].

I'll get my signature filled in with all the info once I get back to the house and look at all the model info etc.

But back to my original question, do I have to do anything after finding that dead baby falcon in the pool? Would the fresh n clear take care of things or do I need to use something else to clean/sanitize the pool water?

Nimish if it wouldn’t bother you too much —you could put the baby falcon in a zip lock bag and freeze it, your state wildlife agency might like to come and pick it up. To check it out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.