New pool owner converting from Baquacil to SW, water exchange prior to opening?

Jun 19, 2015
Rochester/NH
We purchased a house this winter with a pool, we contacted the local company that closed the pool for the previous owners & found out it’s a Baquacil pool. They also mentioned that the pool was filled with leaves when they closed it & the previous owners didn’t care so the pool company point blankly said good luck with the mess! Regardless we’ve decided that we’re going to have the local company open the pool for us to at least go over what they did & the history of the pool as they know it.

A few years ago we had an Intex pool for the kids that used their SWG, thats how I found this incredible group. Since that last pool was so successful I decided to convert this pool to salt & purchased the Edge 40 SWG but have to get through the conversion first. It’s still cold here in New Hampshire & the pool company is scheduled to open the pool the first week in May. At this point I haven’t peeked under the cover so I have no idea what to expect but I’m thinking this weekend is the weekend to at least remove the cover to access the situation.

Since were in the North East I’m wondering if it makes sense to exchange the water before the pool company shows up & start with a clean slate so to speak. The filter isn’t hooked up yet so maybe we start the exchange, change out the sand & do anything else so necessary for the conversion so when they do get here it’s almost like opening a new pool. Does that make sense? Any issues to be aware of with my plan? Any pointers appreciated!

A complete water exchange will definitely help your conversion go faster but u must remove all the debris as well. Also since you will be doing a conversion let them know they won’t be doing much in the way of chems/ cleaning - just removing plugs /opening valves etc so be sure to watch so you know what everything does & you can close/open on your own next time. You don’t want them dumping things in that would affect your conversion.

We purchased a house this winter with a pool, we contacted the local company that closed the pool for the previous owners & found out it’s a Baquacil pool. They also mentioned that the pool was filled with leaves when they closed it & the previous owners didn’t care so the pool company point blankly said good luck with the mess! Regardless we’ve decided that we’re going to have the local company open the pool for us to at least go over what they did & the history of the pool as they know it.

A few years ago we had an Intex pool for the kids that used their SWG, thats how I found this incredible group. Since that last pool was so successful I decided to convert this pool to salt & purchased the Edge 40 SWG but have to get through the conversion first. It’s still cold here in New Hampshire & the pool company is scheduled to open the pool the first week in May. At this point I haven’t peeked under the cover so I have no idea what to expect but I’m thinking this weekend is the weekend to at least remove the cover to access the situation.

Since were in the North East I’m wondering if it makes sense to exchange the water before the pool company shows up & start with a clean slate so to speak. The filter isn’t hooked up yet so maybe we start the exchange, change out the sand & do anything else so necessary for the conversion so when they do get here it’s almost like opening a new pool. Does that make sense? Any issues to be aware of with my plan? Any pointers appreciated!

id for sure get any leaves and junk out of the pool. My pool place said they charged by the hour on cleanup. Anything you can do to clean it will make less for them to do later.

I’m thinking of buying one of those leaf vacuums on Amazon for this major cleanup & purchasing a robot for regular cleanings after, good plan or is there a better way to get the leaves?

How many leaves? Can you see the bottom of the pool or is it a swamp? I’d just get a leaf net and use that if you can see the bottom. If it’s in swamp mode, a Home Depot bucket tied to a rope may be your best best.

How many leaves? Can you see the bottom of the pool or is it a swamp? I’d just get a leaf net and use that if you can see the bottom. If it’s in swamp mode, a Home Depot bucket tied to a rope may be your best best.

And a soft plastic scoop

I’m not sure how bad the leaves are yet since we haven’t removed the cover, the pool store pre-warned me on the fact that the previous owners left them there before closing the pool for the season.

I really could use some help in the order of operations....

The cover is still on, no idea what’s under the cover but it’s filled with leaves according to the place that closed it, google earth pics don’t look good, there’s a mess under there I’m sure.

No idea when the last time chemicals were added but have a brand new TF Pro test kit ready to go.

The pool is winterized, lines are plugged/not connected.

Do I uncover the pool & start scooping leaves out now while the pool is still winterized, is it Ok being uncovered for a week or so without the pump running?
Do I wait for the pool store to open it up & then deal with the leaves? Once they open it what do I do about the conversion? Start it immediately by adding liquid chlorine? Start it once the leaves are cleaned without the pump? I’m really lost on what to do first to help the conversion as the end goal is to have a SWG pool.

Removing debris is paramount.
It is the 1st step.

If you are planning on a water exchange to reduce baqua etc I wouldn’t waste any bleach until that happened. It’s already a swamp cover or no cover. Is this a vinyl lined pool?

Removing debris is paramount.
It is the 1st step.

If you are planning on a water exchange to reduce baqua etc I wouldn’t waste any bleach until that happened. It’s already a swamp cover or no cover. Is this a vinyl lined pool?

It is a vinyl liner from what I was told. So uncovering now to start the clean up process is ok even without the pump running? Due to work schedules I really either have this weekend to get it uncovered & start cleaning it or next weekend to do the same, in between that the pool company is scheduled to come out during the week to “open the pool”

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You don’t need the pump running unless u are trying to clear the swamp without exchanging water. (This will take copious amounts of bleach)
You need to know that the equipment is operable but it will not be used for a water exchange- a submersible pump is the tool u would use.
You have a choice to make - to exchange water or not. While you make that decision you can scoop debris whether the pump runs of not. Have them come whenever it’s convenient for you so long as u have water in the pool & can verify everything works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.