New Pool Owner - Constantly High PH

If you make a signature with your pool and equipment details it will help us give better answers to your questions. What make/model swcg do you have? What is your pool volume?

Check out the PoolMath app, it makes pool maintenance a bit easier.

Hi,

My signature is already updated, is it not visible?
My SWG is Kchlor Digital 25, it's an Australian brand and not in the list to select. It's produces 25gms an hour.

always better to have a little extra fc
a dead bird. a child has a pee, even a sweaty adult, anything could drop you under if you sit too close
Thanks mate, I will target 6PPM in that case. Would that be good enough or do you want to target more? I don't want to play too much as it's hard to get SWG to the right level and once I get to that level, I want to leave it alone.

Also, at high PPM of chlorine, would it smell chlorine in pool?

My signature is already updated, is it not visible
Half of it is by your profile on your posts. To get the one under your post to add specific details like model #s, click the hamburger menu in the upper left corner. Click on the person icon and then click signature. (y)

List em all there. Specs, models, test method, etc.

my fc floats anywhere between 5 and 8
i only adjust every few months
if it goes below 5 or loses that sparkle
or if it goes over 10
fc does not smell, cc is that horrible chlorine smell
This morning it have jumped even higher, sitting at 9.5. This was after reducing the % to 66 as per pool math. Should I reduce it further or reduce the pump time as it still seems to be climbing?

Half of it is by your profile on your posts. To get the one under your post to add specific details like model #s, click the hamburger menu in the upper left corner. Click on the person icon and then click signature. (y)

List em all there. Specs, models, test method, etc.
I have added signature now I believe, is it okay now mate?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Any suggestions for my adjustments to bring FC down or just leave it on higher side?
Lol. Funny you should ask me as I targeted 10. It gave me a few days wiggle room. You can go all the way to Slam level without harm. You have 1 day or less wiggle room below target, which is how it was designed……. To lose today’s daily FC loss and have one more in reserve to stay above minimum. It’s the minimalist approach but just like building codes, there is no harm in doing more than the bare minimum. (y)

I don’t like the term minimum FC. It does not give the situation the gravity it deserves. It isn’t an OK level. It’s not even close to OK. Minimum is a DEFCON 5, all hands on deck situation.

Some folks like the thrill of dancing that line as close as they can. I salute them. Me ? I’m lazy and don’t want to watch it like a Hawk.

You need to run your pump long enough to keep the water filtered/clean. You could reduce pump run time till you think it's not filtering enough. I would probably just try using the cell percentage for now. You could drop it to 55% and watch the FC drop til you get to your target (9? 10? ??) Then start increasing the percentage till you find the spot where FC is barely (or not) changing. Once you find that add some liquid chlorine to get to the right ppm.

Lol. Funny you should ask me as I targeted 10. It gave me a few days wiggle room. You can go all the way to Slam level without harm. You have 1 day or less wiggle room below target, which is how it was designed……. To lose today’s daily FC loss and have one more in reserve to stay above minimum. It’s the minimalist approach but just like building codes, there is no harm in doing more than the bare minimum. (y)

I don’t like the term minimum FC. It does not give the situation the gravity it deserves. It isn’t an OK level. It’s not even close to OK. Minimum is a DEFCON 5, all hands on deck situation.

Some folks like the thrill of dancing that line as close as they can. I salute them. Me ? I’m lazy and don’t want to watch it like a Hawk.
I am not a big fan of checking it daily either, lazy as well. So I will try and find that sweet spot between 8-9PPM and let it settle. I get what you're saying with wiggle room, that makes sense

Reactions: Newdude
You need to run your pump long enough to keep the water filtered/clean. You could reduce pump run time till you think it's not filtering enough. I would probably just try using the cell percentage for now. You could drop it to 55% and watch the FC drop til you get to your target (9? 10? ??) Then start increasing the percentage till you find the spot where FC is barely (or not) changing. Once you find that add some liquid chlorine to get to the right ppm.
Thanks, yes I have reduce it to 58% today and will test again for next few days until I find that spot between 8-9 thanks.

Question - can high PH give false chlorine reading?

If you are running your pump 11 hours per day PoolMath says 12% will generate 1ppm of chlorine. It's summer down under? 48% is probably a bit too much. You are using 1.32 pounds per day in PoolMath.

If you are running your pump 11 hours per day PoolMath says 12% will generate 1ppm of chlorine. It's summer down under? 48% is probably a bit too much. You are using 1.32 pounds per day in PoolMath.
I was gonna say take it down to 30% and see how it does.

Reactions: ccbill
Yes it's summer here plus Brisbane weather further warm. Now that % chlorine I am generating with pool math, that will be on top of what I currently have plus losses right?

For example: my current reading this morning was 9.5 and if I set SWG to 38% that would be additional 3PPM on top of 9.5 per day minus my daily loss right? Am I correct here?

For example: my current reading this morning was 9.5 and if I set SWG to 38% that would be additional 3PPM on top of 9.5 per day minus my daily loss right? Am I correct here?
Exactly. And with frequent testing you will know what to expect with daily losses. It changes some day to day if one day is particularly sunny / hot, but overall at any point in the season it's pretty consistent week to week. So if you've been averaging a daily loss of 3(?) All week, you can expect it to continue for the next week.

Reactions: sumy08 and aussieta
Exactly. And with frequent testing you will know what to expect with daily losses. It changes some day to day if one day is particularly sunny / hot, but overall at any point in the season it's pretty consistent week to week. So if you've been averaging a daily loss of 3(?) All week, you can expect it to continue for the next week.
Thank you. Been trying to find that sweet spot by adjusting SWG and I have been constant 6.0 at 45% cell running. I am going to increase a bit more so that I can sit around 7.0.

Question should I move my testing to evening to see how much daily loss is?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.