New Pool Owner // Central FL // SWG

@mknauss Okay, sounds good. I've turned it off.

Since I got it off, I pulled it and it definitely needs to be cleaned. Huge build up (pics attached). I tried to hose it off but that's not working, so I put it in a muriatic acid bath of 14% acid to water (all the acid I had left).

I also went ahead and cleaned out the cartridge filter, which was super dirty.

Is it okay to use the acid from cleaning the SWG to balance my pH afterwards? Or no because the build up would be bad to introduce into the pool? What is the build up? Calcium?

Attachments

• IMG_2461.jpg
    IMG_2461.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_2462.jpg
    IMG_2462.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Your SWCG should not get build up in it. Track CSI in the app. Keep it between 0 and -0.3 by managing pH, TA, and CH.

The build up is calcium. Just dispose of that liquid in a dirt area.

Good job on the testing.
I would suggest turning off the SWCG for a day or two to get your FC below 10 ppm. Once there, set it to create 1.5 to 2 ppm FC per day and see how that maintains your FC. With FC below 10 ppm, your pH test is then valid.
So the pH test is invalid with FC over 10ppm? That's very interesting.
Do not worry about pump run time to 'turnover' the water. That is a myth. Just run the pump to create enough chlorine each day and skim the surface. Whichever of those are longer. That time should be more than sufficient to filter the water, under normal circumstances.
Thank you, this is great.
You can add salt whenever you need to. Have the SWCG off while the salt is mixing in.
Okay, and how long should I run the pump alone before flipping the SWG back on? Any old pool salt is okay?
You can check the cell if you wish. Do NOT use acid to clean it unless it is very full of scale. The acid reduces the life of the cell. I believe your system puts that 'Inspect Cell' light on every so many hours. You will find you can ignore it or clear it and use your testing to be sure the cell is operating properly.
yes it is
I used a little acid to clean it because it would not come off with the hose alone. It was 68oz acid to 416oz water. It's all cleaned up nice and back together now. I'm assuming last owners hadn't done this in a long time. So in the future, I should be able to just hose it off?

Attachments

• IMG_2463.jpg
    IMG_2463.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2464.jpg
    IMG_2464.jpg
    189.3 KB · Views: 6
Okay, and how long should I run the pump alone before flipping the SWG back on? Any old pool salt is okay?
Best to run the pump for a few hours or brush the pool really well prior to turning the SWCG back on.
I use plain water softener salt when I need salt.

So in the future, I should be able to just hose it off?
Yes - or better yet there will be no scale in the cell at all.

Best to run the pump for a few hours or brush the pool really well prior to turning the SWCG back on.
I use plain water softener salt when I need salt.

Yes - or better yet there will be no scale in the cell at all.
I got a bag of Morton's softener salt that is 99.8% salt and used that. Thank you for the tip.

As I was brushing it all in, I noticed a yellow-brown staining on the pebble finish. Is this old algae coming off? It's gotten better and seems to maybe be coming off bit by bit as I brush every week. But I'd love a more knowledgeable opinion on what this is and what I should do. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_2509.jpg
    IMG_2509.jpg
    706.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2511.jpg
    IMG_2511.jpg
    862.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2513.jpeg
    IMG_2513.jpeg
    441 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2512.jpeg
    IMG_2512.jpeg
    409.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_2510.jpeg
    IMG_2510.jpeg
    636.2 KB · Views: 6
As you are in Florida, your fill water may have iron in it. That can stain the pool surfaces. Try taking a handful of vitamin c tablets, put them in a thin sock, crush them a bit, and set on the stains.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As you are in Florida, your fill water may have iron in it. That can stain the pool surfaces. Try taking a handful of vitamin c tablets, put them in a thin sock, crush them a bit, and set on the stains.
Are you on a well? Your source of water is one of the items that some people put in their signature since it gets asked a lot based on what issues people are having.
Okay I'll try this. Is there a test for iron? There's a well here, but I don't think it's actually working right now and seems to only feed the sprinklers. I had tested my fill water (hose) for CH and it was below the minimum read (25ppm). But that's all I had tested it for.

I did this and it definitely cleaned the stains up. What does this mean? :oops: Before and after pic attached.

Attachments

• IMG_2514.jpeg
    IMG_2514.jpeg
    601.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2519.jpeg
    IMG_2519.jpeg
    581.1 KB · Views: 7
I used a little acid to clean it because it would not come off with the hose alone……….So in the future, I should be able to just hose it off?
Sorry to backtrack Tiz, but if the need arises again you can knock most of it out with a popsicle stick or plastic spoon handle from the ice cream store. It’s ok if you use that as your excuse to get ice cream that day. (y)

Then if there is still some buildup do your acid bath but stop once the fizzing stops and rinse thoroughly.

• Haha
Reactions: TampaKathy
Sorry to backtrack Tiz, but if the need arises again you can knock most of it out with a popsicle stick or plastic spoon handle from the ice cream store. It’s ok if you use that as your excuse to get ice cream that day. (y)

Then if there is still some buildup do your acid bath but stop once the fizzing stops and rinse thoroughly.
Popsicle stick is a great suggestion, thank you! And I can always use an excuse to go for ice cream!

Reactions: Newdude
It is iron staining.

Once you determine the source of the iron, you can follow Ascorbic Treatment to rid Pool of metal stains. It is best to then to drain the pool and fill with non-iron water, or water you have filtered the iron out of.
I've got all the elements to do the AA treatment and have read up on it a lot here. What is better forum etiquette -- to post it in this thread as I go along or swap over to another one?

I haven't determined the source of the iron, but imagine it's the fill water. I've got poly-fil in the pump skimmer basket, so let's see if that takes any out of the existing pool water.

It's taking a long time to drop my chlorine levels. Yesterday I was still above 5 PPM. I do notice the staining seems less as the chlorine level drops, which is all in line with what I've read on iron staining.

The one thing I haven't really been able to answer is if I should use a sequestrant or not and if I do if I should take the poly-fil out of the pump skimmer basket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.