mdshahan

Jun 29, 2021
Vacaville, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Thanks for providing such a great resource...learning a lot so far, and slowly getting our pool in order. I wanted to share the brief history of our pool since starting to use the TFP app to track and get any advice on how to proceed.

We moved into our house last September just as the California fires were in full swing. Pool looked good at the time, but was destroyed by all the ash. We also have quite a bit of leaves that fall into the pool (not so much right now). Pool looked ok during the winter, but we really didn't do testing and only tried to keep it clear of debris, keep the floater full of chlorine pucks (maybe why our cya was so high?), and wash the filters when the pressure went up. When temps hit 70+, the pool turned green immediately...we started a chem service in late April, but always struggled with it being a bit green/cloudy and algae seemed to grow overnight. I noticed that the pool seemed to turn a bit more green right after the service put chlorine in, and thought it might be high metals based on Google searches...the next time they came out they tested for that but told me my Total Dissolved Solids were 5000+ and we needed to drain the pool at least partially. After that I put our chem service on pause until I could get the water swapped...but also started getting tests from our local Leslies ( I know...get my own test kit)

Here's the live link to my pool log started about a week ago. As of right now, the pool has never looked better. The last two days after chlorinating at night I've noticed some patches of "dirt" which I assume is the remnants of the algae being killed off.

Two things to note:
The Leslies tests report "Free Chlorine" and "Total Chlorine", which if I understand correctly, I take "Total - Free = CC"...which is what I did to get my CC #'s on the TFP log
I wasn't tracking how much Cal Hypo I was adding until a few days ago, but I believe I was adding 3 lbs each night.

My TFP log
2021-07-01 13_26_55-PoolMath Logs.png

In the last week, I've been using HTH Shock bags (53% Cal-Hypo) for all chlorine, but picked up some %10 liquid chlorine today.
Leslies is selling us on the No Phos, and recommended 3 lbs of "Fresh 'N Clear" (Potassium peroxymonosulfate) after today's test but I'm holding off on adding those just yet.

I'm not positive what the pool is made of...seemed like fiberglass based on this pic (first draining) before we started getting the algae under control. The pool is older (15+ years?) and I know it had been recoated at some point before we moved in.
pool_wall.png

Seems like I still need to keep adding more chlorine at night at this point. I also don't know about continuing the use of the floater/pucks since I know they contain CYA and mine is still a bit high.
Anyway, thanks for reading and offering any advice.

So, you’re going to get your own test kit, right 😀? Either Taylor 2006c or TF100, right?😀
That's the plan...I only ran across this site a few days ago 😊
I was leaning towards the "TF-PRO WITH SPEEDSTIR"...seems to auto add the salt and pH meter to the options. Anyone use the pH meter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.