New Pool owner and I am struggling

I'm interested to hear the experts take on the metal issue. I don't have a bit of experience in that area. I would be inclined to say if we can get that PH up and your pool holding chlorine and clear, that it would be safe to wait, but again, I have no experience.

And I agree, this forum is great!!

[emoji176] Lisa P.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hold on for a minute, folks. I do NOT like the looks of that pH test.

Brian could you have used the wrong reagent for that test? It should be in a red cap bottle labeled R-0014.

Even if you are sure, please rinse completely and run that test again. report back.

That's true Dave, the color loks the same as the chlorine side.

Did you use the bottle with the red cap for the PH test?

What does your water look like? Can you post a pic?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for re-doing that pH test. I have never seen that color in that test.

the colors going from low pH to high pH are....
yellow 6.8 and lower
yellow orange 7.0
orange 7.2
orange red 7.4-7.5
red 7.6-7.8
red violet 8.0
violet 8.2 and higher

I guess your camera is turning a deep yellow into a greenish color. I think you should focus on getting your pH up to around 7.4 before anything else. I can't remember how much and what you have put in so far but you need to get that pH up.

EDIT: I see your second test now looking yellow......that's better but it indicates a very low pH......you should get started raising it. I use 20 Mule Team Borax.

That's true Dave, the color loks the same as the chlorine side.

Did you use the bottle with the red cap for the PH test?

What does your water look like? Can you post a pic?

Hi, just want to make sure you know the copper is not going to go away on its own. You will either have to drain and replace with copper free water or use sequestrant. As for how the copper got there, copper based algaecide is one source, some 3-way chlorine pucks contain copper also. Check the label on the package for active ingredients. Degradation of copper pipes and heat exchangers caused by prolonged exposure to low pH is a much less likely source of copper in the water.

You can wait until the off season to change the water if you like, just be sure you use the sequestrant regularly to keep the copper in solution so it doesn't cause stains and green hair. For more information about metals in the water read Pool School - Metals in the Water and Metal Stains

Sorry I haven't updated yall. After many boxes of soda ash I finally got it. Sunday morning my ph was between 7.2 and 7.5, my TA was 90. The kids were able to swim and had a blast, other than the fact that the pool water was very hot. I checked it again this morning and it was right at 7.5. Once again I would like to thank you all for the help!! I am going to start a new thread to discuss the metal issue.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support