New Pool Owner Algae Disaster

I got my chlorine up to 28 lastnight when I was adding bleach. My CC was 1.

This morning:

FC 24
CC Chlorine

Overnight chlorine loss of 4 is still quite a bit, right? It's so strange bc the pool is so blue. Wondering if I have algae hiding somewhere that I am not hitting b/c I can't see the bottom. I am brushing several times a day and keep the robot going all day.

Thanks,

Jessica

A FC loss of 4 overnight does not meet the criteria for ending a SLAM.
You say you cannot see the bottom of the pool. There is no need to even do a OCLT until your water is crystal clear.

Reactions: Jessica1911
Hi - I have another quick question. So my pool has been cloudy for weeks. I drained close to half of the pool volume and the water remianed very cloudy after refill. There is no change in the appearance rhis morning.

When I refilled I had chlorine at 15ppm. The PH tested at 7.4. Is that too high to get an accurate PH? The water we refilled with ran from a softener and through a trap. The water from our softener has a normal ph of 8.

My thought was maybe I should let the chlorine drop to a normal level to get an accurate PH reading - then slam. Thanks!

Jessica

If your pH is testing at 7.4 now, with a FC of 15 ppm, and your TA is above 50 ppm, no reason to deviate from the SLAM. Keep filtering. Be sure you are cleaning your cartridge filter when the pressure is 25% greater than clean pressure.

I think we're making progress. Pictures from yesterday and today same time. First is yesterday second is today.

My chlorine levels have not dropped below slam since I started.

PSI goes up by 1psi each day. Clean filter psi is 9.

Attachments

• 20200510_115718.jpg
    20200510_115718.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 20200511_115226.jpg
    20200511_115226.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Casey

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
A few days ago your CYA was shown as 60 ppm,
I think we're making progress. Pictures from yesterday and today same time. First is yesterday second is today.

My chlorine levels have not dropped below slam since I started.

PSI goes up by 1psi each day. Clean filter psi is 9.
Looks like great progress!

I pulled a cup of water from the pool yesterday and added a little floc to it just to see what was cloudy. I drained the water out of the cup today - it left behind a grey/powdery/sand like substance.

I am wondering if this cloud is from the massive amount of shock granules I added or if it's juat dead algae the filter is having a hard time catching. I've not added floc to the pool just as FYI. I won't.

Just wondering though - is there a filtration aid I can add to the cartridge filter to help?

Cartridge filters are in the 5-20 micron range. More than sufficient to capture the materials making your pool cloudy. Just keep filtering.

@Jessica1911 You are doing great. The pool is changing and getting clearer from your pics. Just keep going. I have a feeling that you'll be able to see the bottom of your pool within 48 hrs. Keep brushing and SLAM'ing it. I'm not sure if I recall you took the steps out? If you haven't, I'd go ahead and do that n give them a good scrub.

I feel so frustrated like I am missing something. The wind was blowing yesterday and I think that helped to give it a better appearance. I took a picture today - and it isn't much different from when I started. I had the copper and iron rechecked at the pool store both are reading 0.

When I refilled the pool I brought the water level to the minimum. I raised the water level to the correct level and and am now getting 50 on the CYA. Before adding additional water the dot was disappearing between 60 and 50.

My reading today:

FC 25
CC 0
PH 7.2
TA 130
CH 90
CYA 50
I removed the stairs April 30th.

The pictures are from 30 April before I started the SLAM to today.

1st with ladder - before slam. 30 April
2nd first day of the slam. 4 May
3rd 10th day of slam. 12 May

My FC level has not fallen below 24.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• 45047.jpeg
    45047.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200504_103559.jpg
    20200504_103559.jpg
    259.6 KB · Views: 9
  • 20200512_111459.jpg
    20200512_111459.jpg
    271.3 KB · Views: 9
A few days ago your CYA was shown as 60 ppm,

Looks like great progress!
It was 60. When I refilled the pool after draining I brought the water up to the minimum water level to run the pump. Our well pump needed a break. I raised the water level fully yesterday (I think - days are running together) and am getting 50 on CYA since bringing the water level up. The dot was disappearing between the 60 and 50, so I went with 60 based on the guidance previously shared on this thread.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.