New Pool Owner - 1st Test

Dieffenbach

Apr 21, 2024
Phoenix, AZ
Good afternoon TFP,
Good news. I just received my new TF-Pro test kit and it’s glorious.

Bad news. Pool chemistry not ideal. Just completed my first round of results (not sure if they’ve uploaded to my signature).
  1. FC: Did not register pink with addition of R-0870. I added a second scoop. Still no pink. Safe to assume I have no chlorine. Pool Math recommends I add 92oz 10% NaOCl.
  2. pH: ~8.0. Pool Math recommends I add 38oz 31.45% muriatic acid (to get to 7.6).
  3. CYA: Black dot never faded, CYA < 30, maybe 0? Solution did get cloudy.
  4. TA: 160. Need to lower pH.
  5. CH: 150. Only need 67 pounds of calcium chloride 😂 We have hard water here; I don’t intend to freak out until the community says I should.
Other useful information: Pool was recently drained and acid washed (~2 weeks ago). I’ve had 3” trichlor tablets in a floater continuously. Pool LOOKS beautiful; I.e. no obvious biological growth (but I’m sure some must be present). I’ve been reading lots here on the forums and the site.

My plan is to add recommended 10% NaOCl, 31.45% MA, and 5# cyanuric acid (sock method). Does this sound reasonable? Retest again tomorrow and adjust chlorine and acid accordingly? Appreciate the community’s support and patience. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Newdude
Keep your pH and TA on the high side until your CH rises. You likely can get away without adding calcium if you manage those other two on the high end for awhile.

Reactions: Dieffenbach
Good news. I just received my new TF-Pro test kit and it’s glorious.

Bad news. Pool chemistry not ideal. Just completed my first round of results

.......... Good news. We can fix it with the glorious test kit. (y)

........... Bad news. The pool store needs to find a replacement sucker. You are *off* their turnip truck.

no obvious biological growth (but I’m sure some must be present).
anytime you suspect the *possibility* of algae, Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.
I’ve been reading lots here on the forums and the site.
Here's more:

Pool Care Basics
FC/CYA Levels
TFP Wiki

Brief update. After NaOCl and CA additions yesterday evening, I retested FC and CYA this afternoon. FC @ 3ppm and CYA ~30. This is consistent with what Pool Math predicted based on my additions (it works 🤣).

Plan moving forward is to retest pH and TA tomorrow, add MA as recommended by Pool Math. I’ll continue to test FC every other day until i get a feel for my pool’s consumption. I inherited a bucket of 3” trichlor tabs that I will continue to use until my CYA creeps up a bit higher (~45?). I do have ~1# of dry CA but I don’t see any reason to use it for now.

Any other thoughts or recommendations?

Dose FC with p l e n t y of wiggle room while you get to know how the pool responds. You are safe for swimmers and equipment up to SLAM level. Notice how much leeway there is above target level. Now notice how little leeway there is below target level.

If you have to guess wrong, foul up high and not low.

lc_chart.jpg

Sorry if I repeat myself, alot can go sideways before it all sinks in. Having FC wiggle room gives us the freedom to take our sweet time discussing the theorys of it all. :)

Once you have a good feel for your pool, you're free to dance the minimum line as close as you wish. Mine worked so well, with so little effort running hot, I never stopped once I had the ability to dial it in real close. Why would I want to have to pay attention all the time ? I got other stuff to do. :ROFLMAO: