New Pool - Orlando Florida

I just tested the CYA and it's ZERO or close to it..
That is most likely why the Chlorine was gone in one day.

Will have to do the OCLT test tomorrow night.

Turned the Chlorinator back on to get some CYA from the tablets and left the pump go overnight.

Wondering what the white pail of granules were if not stabilizer. Maybe they were calcium. I told the PB I did not want any Calcium put in and he said it was stabilizer.

Will do some testing with the TF-100 in the morning. Also will clean the filter. The stabilizer granules might all be in there.

The PB left for 2 week vacation. That is probably why he loaded up the acid and chlorine. I had a big discussion with him about the stabilizer. I told him not to put CYA 60 in the pool as I wanted to build it up with the tablets but he didn't listen and I actually got no stabilizer!!!!

I need a vacation from this pool build. :)

Look at those bubblers! Man they are up there! I bet they sound neat!

The watersheers are awesome as well. Can you have the bubblers and sheers on at different times? Which one do you like the sound of best?

Kim:cat:

Bubblers and Sheers both sound great. Sheers are the only thing right now on the feature pump. I have the Intermatic Multiwave Remote Control and I got it working without any problems. Can select 4 speeds but lowest speed doesn't have enough power. I think the pictures I took were on the highest speed.

The Bubblers are on the circulation pump. Only one VS pump can be controlled by the Intermatic so I will have to set the pump's built in digital timer. The bubblers are very tiny on the low speed. The pictures were probably on the highest speed. The pump will probably run most of the day at low speed but I can manually select higher speeds on the keypad which has been wired with a remote keypad on the wall in the lanai.

What you haven't seen are the 4 deck jets. The PB tested them but they have an actuator that hasn't been connected yet by the electrician. So they can't be turned on easily by me. Also, these deck jets were supposed to be connected to the feature pump but PB put them on the circulation pump and does not want to change the plumbing. He says the sheers need all the power which is not true.

That has to be frustrating! And then he goes on vacation? I'd call the plaster company if it were me and ask what is best for the plaster. Then you have it documented that you called and did what they recommended. Then if PB has a problem with it after he abandoned you he can't really take issue or threaten your warranty if the plaster company approves it. At least that sounds reasonable. [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As you know those bubblers and deck jets NEED to be on the feature pump or at least have a way to turn them off so you can just run the circulation pump when that is what you want to do-clean the pool!

I like the idea of cleaning the filter to see if that is where the CYA or what ever he put in is. With your CYA being 0 that is why you are losing so much FC.

Just think of the poor people who have not found TFP :( They are following his directions and their pools are not safe to swim in and they could be growing an algae farm.

Kim, Irwin mentioned granules. I'm wondering if the PB put calcium in. Down here, CYA is a powder. All sources that I've bought have been a somewhat fine powder, maybe cornmeal sort of consistency, a bit finer than table salt, but not as fine as flour. Is it the same over there? Calcium is bigger chunks, though I don't know what everyone calls granules by any means, but just wondering if that's a clue.

If there's no CYA at all, I'd buy enough to get to 10 or 20, and continue using the pucks per your plan, but I think it's important to have some sun protection out of the gate.

John, different brands of CYA are slightly different sizes.....the brand (Clorox) I found and used this year was bigger but more round and "clumpy" than brands in years past. Last year it was more like you say. I cannot remember the brand but know I bought it from Walmart or Lowes LOL. All they have now is Clorox.

That is a clue for sure. I wonder if you call the office if they will be able to tell you what he added as he should have written it down to keep track of his inventory. (not likely but worth a try)

I agree with John in getting the CYA up to at least 10 or 20 to help with FC sticking around.

Can't get through to PB they are on vacation and as a "Ma & Pa" company no one there. As I mentioned a while back I was told in an email "Don't you ever call any of my subs" I won't be able to get through anyway as PB's wife tried all day when I was waiting for acid wash and they didn't answer her or call back. She said they were overloaded finishing jobs and probably also going on vacation.

Anyway I cleaned the filter this morning and didn't find anything except sand & dirt that was in the pool from the plumbing start-up & plaster. Strainer baskets had some plaster/pebbles.

Didn't do a full set of tests yet but will do this evening and the OCLT.

This morning tested CH with the TF-100 and it's 150 now. Note: Tap Water was 75 so it increased from plaster or something was added.
Also TC was 5 PH was 6 - same as last evening.

Note: just tested again TC 5 PH 6

Thanks Kim. I don't know if the CH increased from the plaster or he added calcium.
But glad it's at 150 which is the minimum WetEdge startup requires. 200 is Max.

The Chlorinator has been on highest setting and should have added some CYA by now. I'll be doing another CYA test soon while there is daylight. Not too much sun today. You once said you had a tip for me to get a good reading.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for reminding me! Here we go!

CYA Kim's way:

-mix up the CYA regent and pool water as directed. Let is sit for a few.....I let it sit while I do the other tests.

-back to sun, tube at tummy in the shade of your body. Tube held at the top by thumb and forefinger.

-pour the mixed up water to the first line (100), GLANCE in. IF you see the dot at a GLANCE, pour to the next line. GLANCE in, if you see the dot, pour to the next line. Do this until you do not see the dot at a GLANCE. If you stare you will see it LOL.

The reason I do it this way is we will have you round up to the next line for testing and levels so might as well make it easy and just line by line. This has helped me stop hating this test quite as much LOL

Tablets will add CYA but slowly. The powder CYA is faster. Well the liquid gold CYA is fastest but at a price :shock:

Use Pool Math to learn how much CYA each tablet add once it is dissolved all of the way (that is the trick there).

Does this help?

Yes Thanks Kim.

A few minutes ago I did the CYA test with the "Standard Pool Water" that now comes with the TF-100. It was 50 indoors. Outside I could faintly see the dot if I stared at it. At 45 could not see it unless I really kept staring.
Did the test again with the same mixed solution using your method of glancing and it is right on at 50!!!!:)

Thanks so much. I'm all calibrated now and ready to test the pool water CYA.
Only problem is the trichlor tablets only add 2.2 CYA each so there won't be much to read for a while.

As you know those bubblers and deck jets NEED to be on the feature pump or at least have a way to turn them off so you can just run the circulation pump when that is what you want to do-clean the pool!

I have a lot of valves. PB actually labeled the plumbing with his marking pen during the "start-up"
The bubblers are ok on the circulation pump. At slow speed just barely noticable but can be turned up with the pump speed or valve.
It's the deck jets that I want him to move to the feature pump. It will be the last battle with him at the end to make him do this. The signed plumbing diagram shows it that way but diagram is marked "subject to change in the field." There are other things to fix too like a U Loop after the chlorinator. He said that's to catch the chlorine from the chlorinator over night. I told him I would be removing the Chlorinator and to remove the U Loop he said it is needed for a SWG too. This is absolutely wrong as the SWG does not build up chlorine in the plumbing over night. If pump is off the SWG is off. This needs to be discussed on my Pumping Station Thread.

By yesterday evening I lost all the Chlorine again. I've postponed the OCLT as I believe the loss of Chlorine is from low CYA.

I've had the Chlorinator running for 4 days but to speed things up I temporarily added some tablets to the skimmer basket. I'm running the pump 24 hrs. per day to prevent the potential problems of tablets in the skimmer.
At the fast rate the skimmer is dissolving them I should be close to CYA 15 in the morning, but till too low for the CYA test.

My PH has been 6 and my TA is 0. The tablets are lowering PH even more so I am going add some A&H Soda Ash tomorrow.

I've been aerating with the sheers and bubblers all day which should be helping.

You need to read this link, especially acid start-up Pool School - Start-up New Plaster

Hopefully Kim's plaster contact comes along. I think that would be helpful.

Thanks. I've already read the New Plaster/Acid Startup plus everything I could find in old threads and online about Acid Startup.

I've concluded what I got was the Acid Startup after the pool sat with water for 4 days, but the PB tried to do everything in less than 2 hrs. He dumped the acid right out of the bottle around the perimeter followed immediately by liquid chlorine the same way and then what he called stabilizer which was probably a Sequestrant or Calcium. He then started the pump, put 3 tabs in the chlorinator and brushed the pool and cleaned the filter. Told me to brush every day and clean the filter after 2 days and then when pressure rose 10 psi. When I asked about the low PH he said it would rise in a week and I should keep it at about 7.2 with muriatic acid. Then he left for his vacation.

By yesterday evening I lost all the Chlorine again. I've postponed the OCLT as I believe the loss of Chlorine is from low CYA.

I've had the Chlorinator running for 4 days but to speed things up I temporarily added some tablets to the skimmer basket. I'm running the pump 24 hrs. per day to prevent the potential problems of tablets in the skimmer.
At the fast rate the skimmer is dissolving them I should be close to CYA 15 in the morning, but till too low for the CYA test.

My PH has been 6 and my TA is 0. The tablets are lowering PH even more so I am going add some A&H Soda Ash tomorrow.

I've been aerating with the sheers and bubblers all day which should be helping.

When I started up my pool, I tried to use the pucks as well since I had no CYA but they dissolve too slow. After 2-3 days, I quit, bought some CYA conditioner and started adding bleach daily.

Yeh, I understand. Everything you're doing makes sense. It would be nice to make it swimmable!

I think I got it under control. Just have to get the PH down to 7.2 - 7.8 with some Muriatic Acid and I'll be:
Swimming today :swim:

Posted details here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/124011-Balancing-Pool-after-Acid-Startup

When I started up my pool, I tried to use the pucks as well since I had no CYA but they dissolve too slow. After 2-3 days, I quit, bought some CYA conditioner and started adding bleach daily.

I got the CYA up to 20 with the pucks. I'll use them for a while to get CYA higher but bought 4 gallons of 10% Liquid Chlorine at Walmart.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.