New Pool, or Site Improvement

May 15, 2016
EUGENE
This is going to be year 3 for us. The last 2 years we had an intex 12'*30" and it worked fine.

We used it enough even in Oregon to justify something better.

I'd like some input for the new project. I see two options... Get the good pool now and diy it, my budget is about 2k plus install materials.

Option 1: 15' round and 54" with some bells and whistles.

Option 2: Pour a reinforced concrete pad, and a cheap 15'*48". Then next year get the good pool.

I'm leaning to option 2. Also with the slab option I wouldn't use sand, just pad and closed cell foam. Im worried that the beaded liners expect sand and I'd have a inch or two of slop.

Any thoughts?

I'd like some input for the new project. I see two options... Get the good pool now and diy it, my budget is about 2k plus install materials.

Option 1: 15' round and 54" with some bells and whistles.

Option 2: Pour a reinforced concrete pad, and a cheap 15'*48". Then next year get the good pool.

I'm leaning to option 2. Also with the slab option I wouldn't use sand, just pad and closed cell foam. I'm worried that the beaded liners expect sand and I'd have a inch or two of slop.

Question: What is the benefit of waiting a year to buy the desired pool? It seems like more expense invested to buy another temp pool and pour a slab, just to have to tear both out and throw away next year. You could use those funds to put towards or offset the cost of the desired pool and get it installed this year. The base prep methods of both option 1 and option 2 are virtually the same**. I suppose you could skimp on the install of the temp pool, but that's not my style.:D

**As for the concrete slab, what is the purpose of this? most pools are installed on a level, sand base. Usually there isn't a need for a slab. I would consider 1"-2" slope over 15' to be excessive and you would want to control better than that. You would need to dig into the high side to level. Then place sand and compact it for a good base. This is irrespective of either option, especially if you know you are going to option 1 within a year anyway

The inch or two of slop *not slope* is something that I was worried about. Like do liners expect sand to be present and tamped flush to the bottom rails or an inch or two of sand inside the walls? I could see a problem with a beaded liner there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.