New Pool Opening Trouble...Maybe?

whitneylbowles

Apr 16, 2020
virginia
We just bought a home that has a saltwater pool. Apparently, was taken care of pretty well but the owner died and it hasn't been opened for 2 seasons. It has a cover on it, has lots of debris in it, is full of water and is dark green, brown colored. I have contacted multiple pool services in my area with little to no luck. They have us on the list but it sounds like everyone is so busy that we aren't a priority. We have heard anything from "sounds like we need to drain the pool, acid wash, bring in a water truck to fill and re-setup the pool" to "never drain a pool......we have chemicals that can get it back to normal". However, after 4 weeks of speaking to companies no one has come out to look at it. We were so excited to purchase a home with a pool and now we may not get it opened for the summer. We are very "handy" when it comes to building, technology, etc. but just don't know where to start. Is it even an option to take this on? Any help appreciated. We are willing to put in the work but there is so much info out there that conflicts we don't know what's right or wrong. Here is what we know:
Gunite surface
Has a cover that has been on it for the 2 seasons it's been closed
Regular professional maintenance when the previous owner had it opened
Looks in good condition from what I can tell??
Heated with electric heat pump
Pump (???) is currently running and it says "winterize mode"?????

That's about all I have....thanks in advance for anyone who takes the time to help. Hope everyone is staying healthy and safe. Cheers.

Hello and welcome. Its a tad late and quiet tonight, but people here love a challange and will be all over this in the morning. They'll have you up and running by the time it gets warm. First things first is a proper way to test your water. Test Kits Compared If you go with the most recommended TF-100, get the XL version because you will be testing alot in order to clear the swamp. Don't worry though, by the time its clear you will be a pro and it won't go back.

Second is the basics. ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry read it. Reread it. Ask questions. Read it some more. Anyway you should really read it.

The gunk and debris in the pool has to come out. It will greatly slow your process if it stays i the pool. I don't envy you. Its probably gonna be gross. A leaf rake or net will do the trick and once that is done you will be well on your way to SLAM Process

It seems like alot but the wonderful folks here will walk you through it like they have done literally thousands of times. If you post pics, somehow people can smell it and it brings even more of them to help. You could probably trade pics for TP here. Friendly heads up.

Pictures also let you see you are making progress! You can look and say yup better than yesterday and way better than a week ago.

Depending on manpower and diligence slamming, brushing and cleaning it may take a week or two or more to have sparkling water.

Hi Whitney,
Sounds like opening will not be that hard. I opened a pool that had been closed for over 2 years. The pool had been
closed by a company but no other maintenance. Just clean everything you can off the can off of the cover. Remove
the water off of the cover. Then you can start the process of taking the cover off.

As noted provide pictures of everything like the pool cover and all equipment. From your description this is within your ability.
You can post pictures before you even start if you need reassurance.

Before I bought my house I spent three months of research and asking alot of questions from those that have pools. During that
time I found this site and it was also a great reference.

Thank you to everyone already! Here is the only pic I have...I will certainly take more and post. The cloth looking thing to the side is just the cover folded over. In the meantime we are going to remove the cover and try an start getting the debris out. We have ordered the test kit and will keep reading up to learn the basics about ABC's of Water Chemistry! Thanks again!

Start.jpeg

Reactions: Msch99
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.