New pool. Open to feedback

Jepjep13

In The Industry
Feb 19, 2020
Central Valley CA
Hello

I have been lurking and reading here for a while. I am amazed at all the help and community knowledge available. We have decided to pull the trigger on a pool and are looking for the best bang for our buck sorta speak. The attached shows what we are currently considering. 102’ perimeter, 570 sqft pool with a 7’ deep end. Open to any comments or suggestions. We are being quoted the following:

Construction plans, building permits, structural engineering (Structural Steel Schedule is for expansive soil), Zodiac MX6 suction pool cleaner, automatic fill, Jandy 1.65hsp VS FloPro filter pump with iqpump technology, Jandy 340 Cartridge Filter, 1 Standard White Light, Standard White Plaster, 2 Pool Guard Door Alarms, Maintenance kit, lifetime structural warranty on pool gunite shell, Jandy Qualified Pool Pro 3 year Pro-Edge extended warranty

Attachments

• 32946CF9-9780-4BDE-A27B-98887E4F1E59.jpeg
    32946CF9-9780-4BDE-A27B-98887E4F1E59.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: damon5683
Also -- you will want a robot for cleaning. The suction side will require high pump speeds with high electrical use.

Get the robot yourself, not through the pool builder.

I'll pitch in a couple of things. If you have future plans for a BBQ island, have a gas stub, electrical, and drain pre-plumbed. If you go the robot route, have an electrical outlet placed close to the pool for power. A salt water chlorine generator now or later would be a must-have for me.

Reactions: damon5683
In looking at the image of your proposed pool (gorgeous, by the way!) I note at the top left a possible area to the side of the house? Have you considered putting the pool equipment pad over there out of view? It doesn't look any farther than where the drawing has it.

Just a thought.

Maddie :flower:

Thank you!

My experience with water has mostly centered around small potable water treatment plants and managing a commercial/public pool. In both cases the chlorine is fed automatically. With water treatment we use a dosing pump to a liquid chlorine solution and with the pool we use briquettes water get water sprayed against them and that gets drafted into the pool. I was thinking of dosing my pool manually with 12.5% liquid chlorine, at least initially, maybe a liquid auto doser later.

Didn’t know that about the Jandy equipment, good to know. The PB said he would install Pentair if I wanted, not sure about a price difference, although he knows I have access to direct pricing since we have a wholesale pool account at SCP through work.

I was considering a robot sweeper already so I will look into that more. I think we use a dolphin on the public pool.

Our neighbor has a pool and their pump equipment is just on the other side of the fence there so we thought the noise was already there so it just made since to put ours there. Around that side of the house is the dog run and the master bedroom so we would prefer not to put it there with the noise. It will be out of site once I put a small fence/vegetation in front of it.

Thank you for all the info. Keep it coming.

I like your pool layout, its relationship to your house.

The one thing I dont like is that little flower bed where the 2 patios meet.
Assuming there is not an elevation difference, removing that small flowerbed would give you a lot more options for seating, etc. Plus I would imagine anything planted there would get pretty baked in July/Aug being surrounded by all of that concrete.

If you have them, post your depths, light placement, skimmers, etc.

Good luck with your build.

Yeah there is an elevation drop on the existing concrete between the walkway that comes from the side of the house to the corner of the patio closest to the fence. We already scrapped the little planter and they will have to figure it out with sloping the concrete they pour and add some drains where they meet.

The skimmer will be at the south/southwest end near the love seat at the deep end as that is the way the wind blows. There will be two returns on the tanning bench and others around the perimeter pushing everything towards the skimmer. Bench will have 18” of water, shallow end will be 3.5’ to deep end of 7’. Thinking 4-5 hydrocool nicheless led lights on the house side wall of pool. 6w on the bench and 12w for the rest, maybe a 24w on the deep end.

Last edited:
The layout has changed slightly to make the walkway on the two sides along the fence to 42” to match the existing walkways on the property and come 24” off the existing concrete along the back of the house with some extra near the love seat and around 4’ off the patio

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would think about shifting the shelf over more towards the house so you can have an open swim lane. I can use my poor photo shop skills to draw if out for you if you can not "see" what I mean.

Kim:kim:
We considered that, but that end of the pool is fairly narrow. I think the bench was spec’d at like 7x11, plus the steps. To move it over by the steps I don’t know how usable in size it could be and then the swim lane would still be very narrow too, idk, plus we think the bench where it is is more of an extension on the patio but we don’t know because we haven’t owned a pool nor have we any real experience with a tanning bench. We were raised with 4-5’deep half sunk doughboys as kids and later at a private community pool. Open to suggestions though so thank you.

Both of our kids swim competitively and do water polo so they spend a lot of time at practice swimming laps so we don’t know how much it is or isn’t needed.

At least 5 returns with one of them being on the shelf in such a placement to "push" any stuff off of the shelf then another placed to push that stuff to the skimmer.

I will play with your pool and shelf when I have a chance later. You DO what the bench and shelf in that area for the very reason you stated.

Kim:kim:

Any comments on what we are getting for the price? I know is somewhat geographical
A PB would laugh at you around here if you asked for a gunite/pebble pool like yours for under $50k, so from my perspective that is an amazing price, especially in CA.
I see you are "In the Industry". Are you doing some of the work yourself to keep the costs down?

A PB would laugh at you around here if you asked for a gunite/pebble pool like yours for under $50k, so from my perspective that is an amazing price, especially in CA.
I see you are "In the Industry". Are you doing some of the work yourself to keep the costs down?
We are looking at a modified plaster that would mimic the Altima from Wetedge, pebble would be another 3300. At the 43k price I’m not doing any of the work other than installing a low voltage transformer and terminating the led lights which the PB will install and run to the junction box. We are capable and experienced enough in general construction to probably pull off an owner build but don’t really have the time. Although I will do my best to be here for the major parts of the install to make sure I don’t see issues. I consider being in the industry due to managing the budget, operations and maintenance of a local gov owned public pool and I have guys cert as pool operators working for me and have an account at a wholesale type pool store. One of my guys also used to work for a pool builder and owner built his last pool.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.