New Pool, Old Deck - Height Mismatch

critter783

Silver Supporter
Jul 26, 2017
Melbourne, KY
Hey all,
I previously had a 24' round, 48" deep above-ground pool with a deck along 1/4 of the circumference. The old pool was severely rusted and some supports had buckled, so I opted to have the entire thing replaced with a new pool. Our new pool is a 52" deep model, and was built in the same location. Before the pool was installed, I stripped off the deck boards to replace them. The new pool is in, and I want to put down the new deck boards, but I'm concerned that my new pool is too tall for my old deck frame. The attached pic shows the new pool height above an existing deckboard - I added the brick to the shot to show the height difference.

I can't raise the joists because the 4x4s in the back corners are too short, so if that height difference is too much, I'll have to do some serious demolition and rebuilding on my deck. What do you all think? Does that height difference create an unacceptable tripping hazard, or does it just look unacceptably bad? Opinions appreciated!

Attachments

• deck by new pool.jpg
    deck by new pool.jpg
    474.3 KB · Views: 42
I would want the deck to be flush. Generally, any elevation change that isnt a common step height will be a tripping hazard. 7"-8" typically constitutes a step.
You could "sister" the joists to raise them, or "pack" them up with lumber, and extend the 4x4's with lap joints, or scarf cut joints.

I considered cribbing new joists onto the old ones, but I would have to use 2x10s to get enough lift and enough surface to bolt them and give them the strength they need to support the floor. The height difference seems to be 6-7" but I can measure tomorrow to be sure.

If it’s low enough you may be able to ramp the deck to the pool vs a too small step… start a bit farther back

I would not worry about it. So long as you have steps/ladder to get in and out it is all good. No one should be allowed to jump on the side of the pool to get out to keep the pool walls safe.

If you want it to be more "finished" looking you could put up boards like the brick is to fill in that area. Me? I would not worry about it.

I wouldn't go this wide, I would do a single step with a covered riser, but you could do a platform like this if you liked it.

Screenshot_20230524_074735_Gallery.jpg

I like the raised step idea. I went out with a level and a tape measure tonight to get a clear idea of the height difference, and according to the tape, the height difference from the top of the existing deckboards to the top of the top rail is 5 inches exactly, and from the top of the deckboards to the bottom of the top rail joint caps is only 3 inches, so I think I'm just going to put the new decking down and leave the gap there. If I were to try and raise it, I'd only raise it by 2 inches max, which seems pretty insignificant. Thanks for all the feedback and ideas!

Reactions: kimkats and Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.