New Pool, odd results?

Your SWCG will create 0.4 ppm FC per hour if set at 100%. You will need to run the pump more like 10 hours per day, at least, to generate the chlorine you need.

Why do you want to run at such high flow rates?

Your SWCG will create 0.4 ppm FC per hour if set at 100%. You will need to run the pump more like 10 hours per day, at least, to generate the chlorine you need.

Why do you want to run at such high flow rates?

Good question, I've correlated the higher flow rates with stronger suction to keep the bottom/surface of the pool cleaner? If I can get away with less GPM then I'd definately look towards that. Unfortunately, I don't know the pool well enough to know what I can get away with in keeping the pool physically clean and at what GPM...yet.

You're right of course, if the SWG is only creating 0.4 ppm FC per hour, then I am way off in terms of run time. I had not know the specific amount of FC the SWG was capable of creating.

At 9 hours of run time, most of that at high speed, I was stabilish FC at around 5 ppm. Four hours is likely going to miss that mark. I guess I need to figure what the minimum of high speed I need to keep the bottom/surface of the pool clean, and then the remaining of the time can be set to 40 GPM or less just to generate the FC I'll need.

I was playing with the pump flow rate today, when a thunderstorm rolled by, but I was able to confirm that the SWG was ok with being under 40 GPM. This is also coupled with the local electric company that has significantly higher rates between 3-8 pm during the weekdays. Of course this is also during the most intensive sunlight, but if possible I'd like to stop the pumps during that 5 hour period.

I see you have a suction side cleaner, so that will require higher flow rates.

You can easily not run the pump during the high electric rates. Just be sure you are creating enough chlorine each day.

I see you have a suction side cleaner, so that will require higher flow rates.

You can easily not run the pump during the high electric rates. Just be sure you are creating enough chlorine each day.

I can see why electric cleaners are getting popular, but I figure for now since the suction side cleaner is working we'll keep running it. Without the suction side cleaner I could likely just run the pump at a the lowest GPM that would provide FC.

Since the pumps were running a combined time of 9 hours and maintaining a FC of 5ish, I'll likely have to keep it around that run time. Just need to figure out how much of that will need to be high GPM for the suction side cleaner, and how much remaining I can run at =<40 GPM. Thinking probably something along the lines of 2 hours at high, 7 hours at as low as I can get the truclear to register.

Reactions: mknauss
So this is embarrassing but if someone learns from this it's worth it. So this pool has a waterfall, and a dedicated pump for it. This pump pulls water from an infinity trough.

Some of you will have already realized what I did...but for everyone else...just wait for it.

So new to me pool, ehhh it's a water feature, no reason to run that as part of the cleaning cycle. We'll just run the other pump that pulls from the skimmer, vacuum pump and SWG.

So today I get to the pool with the intention of testing the water of the pool for FC, and adding bleach to get up to 6-7 ppm fc. And I'm startled by a infinity trough that has a bit of green in it. But that's not possible...oh wait...

Well lets turn on the pump and get some of that water going, and I'll pull a sample from the waterfall.

ZERO FC, completely ZERO.

In hindsight I probably could just "shocked" the small trough at that point. The pool as an overall is still at 4 ppm FC. I added what the pool math was telling me to in terms of bleach to raise the FC from 4 to 7, and I added it mainly to the trough to be circulated. Before leaving and after running the pump for roughly 30 minutes there was some improvement in clarity, but likely am in for it at this point.

It would be nice to not have to shock the entire pool, but that is definitely very likely in my very near future.

So that looks like I'll have to partially drain the pool to get the CYA levels down, and then SLAM the pool, which sounds....fun.

It'll likely depend on what the FC of the entire pool looks like tomorrow. If it's essentially zero tomorrow, or near zero then I get to start the fun. If it's green then again fun. If it's 4,5,6,7 then perhaps it's been saved...

Last edited:
Interestingly enough the trough maintained fc of 1.5, and the pool stayed at 4.5. I went ahead and calculated what the shock value would be for the trough and added that to the trough only. I figure it will eventually be added back to the pool, the volume of the trough shouldn't have a huge impact on the overall pool, and in the end I do need to raise the fc in the main pool. And if I can kill most of the algae in the trough perhaps I can limit the exposure. It appears to be clearing up, continued fingers crossed...

Managed to get pretty sick for a few days. But I'll conclude this thread with this. I was able to shock the trough, and once the FC stayed at a high level sustained for a few days I went ahead and got the pump running across both the pool and the trough.

Everything thus far is pretty routine. SWG is still at 80% with the aforementioned schedule. Readings are maintaining at fc 4.5-5, pH around 8.0, and Ta at 120. Working on dropping the pH to reduce Ta, and just watching FC for the most part.

I'll go ahead and let this thread go, and make a new post when a new issue arises.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.