New pool...now what?

Iron Mike

Oct 19, 2021
Panama City, Florida
Greetings from Panama City, Florida.

Retired last year after 40 years in the Air Force (28 Active Duty +12 as DoD Civilian Strategic Planner) and finally have the time to build and enjoy a pool in retirement. The last pool we had was an above ground pool years ago when the kids were small and frankly, that was a PIA to maintain. Now we have a nice inground gunite pool, with spa and waterfall and tropical landscape for us and the grandkids. The pool is surrounded by paver decking, covered patio, and outdoor kitchen (in progress) protected by a screen enclosure to minimize leaves and our state bird---the mosquito. The pool is setup for salt and ozone to minimize maintenance. But the last thing the pool builder gave me was a warning that my lifetime Pebble Sheen plaster warranty depends on my ability to document monthly chemical testing and report it annually, for the rest of my life. Oh swell! So I'm looking to get smart on water chemistry and minimize the Rear pain of pool maintenance. Thanks!

Iron Mike

IM, welcome to TFP! :wave: Congrats on your retirement. :cheers: As a fellow AF vet and current DoD Civilian myself, thank you for your service. Curious, with a nickname of Iron Mike, and being a strategic planner, do you happen to be familiar with the acronym, "IYAAYAS"? It's a maintenance thing. :)

Hey Mike and Welcome !!
that my lifetime Pebble Sheen plaster warranty depends on my ability to document monthly chemical testing and report it annually, for the rest of my life. Oh swell!
Many finishes have a similar requirement. It’s kinda like an auto warranty from the factory. It’s on you to prove you changed the oil at regular intervals along with the 25k / 50k servicing.

All you have to do is go get the tests. No biggie reallly because you can always use something small that they sell at the pool store…. A thermometer or a tube of Jacks Magic lube, maybe a new float too. Each and every time they give you a printout of what you need, Wouldn’t you know it ??? How fortunate !!! You just so happen to have exactly that much of XYZ at home leftover from last time. You’ll go home and add it right away. *wink wink*. Thanks Mr Pool store guy !!! I couldn’t do this without you !!

If the time ever comes that you need those printouts, you have them and you did exactly what they said to do. *wink wink*. 😁

For documentation ask your PB if consistent PoolMath logs will suffice for the documentation
Our specs are typically different from theirs. The manufacturer uses the industry standards (which haven’t been updated since the 80s) and don’t recognize the CYA/FC relationship. They also target a specific TA and PH when we allow more room to wiggle.