jumpinj

Sep 3, 2020
pa
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi everyone, We built our own pool from concrete block, with a vinyl liner and it has been up and running for a week now. The water is crystal clear. We are currently using a Pentair chlorine puck dispenser with trichlor pucks. In the morning my (and I hesitate to say this) test strip numbers look good 2/3, afternoon in sun, obviously the chlorine is being eaten down to a 1 with little to no cya. I hesitate to start off adding cya. Do I have to or can I wait until they raise on their own from the pucks. I'm so afraid to add unneeded chemicals to the pool and plan on using liquid chlorine when needed. This paranoid newbee would love some advice, and I know I need to get a good test kit.

Attachments

• pool.jpg
    pool.jpg
    539.7 KB · Views: 5
First, a proper test kit is needed. You invested a lot of time, treasure, and energy in your pool. Why trust its care to a cheaply made and inaccurate test strip??

You can use the pucks if you like. You will need to add liquid chlorine every day, maybe twice a day with the low CYA, to maintain enough FC to keep from getting algae and to make the pool water sanitary for swimmers. It would be easier to add 30 ppm of CYA and stop using the trichlor, but that is up to you.

To give you an idea of the time it will take to get to 30ppm cya with trichlor tabs, it would take about 14 tabs fully dissolved to reach 30ppm of cya in a 15,000 gallon pool. You'll get there but why fight the sun and use lots of liquid chlorine daily until you get to that point?

I just went to the pool store and it says my Stabilizer is already at 12. We only filled the pool 10 days ago. I have 9 pucks in the chlorinator and it is set at 4 (1-5 are the setting options) the TC is 2.9, free chlorine is 0.9. TA 70, PH is 7.3.

First, a proper test kit is needed. You invested a lot of time, treasure, and energy in your pool. Why trust its care to a cheaply made and inaccurate test strip??

You can use the pucks if you like. You will need to add liquid chlorine every day, maybe twice a day with the low CYA, to maintain enough FC to keep from getting algae and to make the pool water sanitary for swimmers. It would be easier to add 30 ppm of CYA and stop using the trichlor, but that is up to you.
Thank you, I am just concerned if my CYA is already at 12 with the pucks after only having water in the pool for 10 days, in 15 more days it might already be close to 30. I don't plan on always using these pucks, my goal is to just use the liquid chlorine and follow TFP

I don't plan on always using these pucks, my goal is to just use the liquid chlorine and follow TFP

Great. Get a good test kit as suggested and switch to liquid once your cya gets in the recommended range.

I would order the kit now so you know for sure what your cya is. Pool store tests are notoriously unreliable. Be a bummer to have to drain some because you overshot cya. Or need to slam because FC/CYA ratio wrong. My 2cents

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.