Atlanta, GA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone, long-time lurker, first-time poster here. Great, great forum with tonnes of info that I've been combing through in preparation for our pool build in North Atlanta, GA. I'll share a little bit about our family and intended pool use as that will help with decision making as we continue. We are a 3.5 unit family with a 9 year old boy. 9 and a half if you ask him, and a little girl on the way this September. Two very high energy German Shorthaired Pointers who will no doubt be in the pool, and a southeasterly-facing back garden. This will be a mostly leisure pool but I wanted a longish section that could act as a swim lane should I get the urge. It will be a short swimlane but if I just count laps then I should end up with a nice, high number ;-). We do have a buffer that we can't build in that covers the last 20ft of our back garden, and we already have an outside fireplace and retaining wall/slope that will be the perimeter for the other side of the pool. I've attached a photo of the plan so you can see the current setup and better understand why the decking doesn't surround the spa. The spa butts right up against the no-build perimeter.

The pool will be about 36.5' long and 19' at it's widest point. Shallow end water depth is 3.5' and deep end is 7'. No sun deck but we will have a few bench seats including one under the spa overflow. Some other equipment notes:
-The sun travels from around the top leftish corner to the bottom rightish corner of the attached plan with the pool being in the sun probably from 9:30am until about 4pm before some tree shadows crawl across the pool from the bottom of the page up
-(edit) we we’re thinking about a UV system but I just couldn’t find much info about how to maintain it, and with all of the great info on this site I decidEd to switch to a salt system. Pass me that coolaid please
-Pool surface will be pebblesheen although we're still working through colours (edit: we like ocean blue)
-Coping will likely be Pennsylvania blue stone and decking will be a brown/tan stone to match other decking we have. That's not mentioned on the attached plan but the builder is working on the quote. We'll likely expand the decking area to the left and right of the pool too
-2 skimmers, 3 returns, and currently 2 lights in the pool and 1 in the spa although I'm reading in this forum we may need to add one more light to the pool for a 523sqft pool
-Pentair equipment but I don't have model numbers yet
-Easy touch a d screen logic automation although I read we should upgrade to the Intellicenter system and possibly even buy the version specifically for the SWCG so we can be ready if we need to be
-I removed the pool vac and will spend the savings on a robot cleaner
-We're also adding a sauna cabin to the gravel section you see on the left. The pool then becomes the plunge pool for those who dare in the winter!
-399BTU gas heater
-The ground the pool will be dug into is probably 4-5 feet about our home, hence the steps leading down to our home at the top of the pool
-We removed probably 12-13 pines and other trees to make space for the pool. There are still trees around so we're expecting pine needles and leaf fall
-We signed the agreement back in Feb and dig day is going to be in the next week or two - we have sun for the next few days

So, what do you think? What else can I tell you? Thanks all, Daniel.

Attachments

• Pool 21-04-21.JPG
    Pool 21-04-21.JPG
    192.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
Reactions: Jmerges
Welcome to TFP! :wave: About this comment:
I'll get this out right off the bat - we're planning for a UV/Ozone system right now. I know the consensus is SWCG cell but my thoughts are that a salt water system would be difficult to change from without replacing all the water too. If we have the UV/Ozone system to start and don't like it then it's easier to switch over to the SWCG so long as we ensure the plumbing can account for it and we can pay for the cell
I don't understand the part about exchanging water. :scratch: If you had a salt pool, the only difference between salt and non-salt pools is just that - the salt level. Which by the way most people say feels better anyways. Both use chlorine (liquid or gas form) for sanitation which is the preferred method of sanitation for outdoor pools. The GA sun will give you all the UV you need for oxidizing combined chlorines, and the ozone will not sanitize your water effectively. You might want to review the link below for some very good info. Have a great weekend. :swim:

I probably wasn’t clear enough about the salt water note. if we start we a swcg/salt water then thats all we‘d ever have unless we drained the pool, scrubbed it, then refilled it again. But by starting with UV/ozone sanitation for a year or two then we can compare effort, cost, and cleanliness with that of our friends who have salt water pools, then make a determination which method is right for us. Extra cost? Yup. But maybe peace of mind too? yes.

we‘re in Roswell so not far from Marietta. Did you choose a finish yet? we want to view as many as possible before we make our final choice.

if we start we a swcg/salt water then thats all we‘d ever have unless we drained the pool, scrubbed it, then refilled it again.
Even if you did start with salt and decided later you wanted to go another route, there's no need to drain, scrub, and start over. But if you wish to invest in the UV/Ozone that is certainly your option.

But if you wish to invest in the UV/Ozone that is certainly your option.
I am not sure I would refer to a UV/Ozone system as an "investment" but I do see your point. Despite countless testimonials or even real life experiences, some are just going to listen to the PB or a Reddit forum and are convinced the magic UV system is the way to go. In reality, what you will really end up with is a liquid chlorine pool because ultimately, those things do little for sanitization and the only way to get the chlorine levels right is to add LC. But to your point, it is the OP's money ultimately and has to chose where to invest, and where not to.

I read we should upgrade to the Intellicenter system and possibly even buy the version specifically for the SWCG
That would be a great investment IMHO. While the older EasyTouch systems work fine, getting the latest technology for your automation just sounds like a great idea. Pentair does update the Intellicenter as opposed to the Easy Touch and a lot more you can do with it.

2 skimmers, 3 returns, and currently 2 lights in the pool and 1 in the spa although I'm reading in this forum we may need to add one more light to the pool for a 523sqft pool
Like the extra skimmers and returns, but you may consider at least one more light. My pool is 30' long and have three Microbrites in there and think its just about the right light. Two would have been passable, but I do like the three. Two may just not be enough light in that long of a span. Do you know what kind of lights they are using? Try and avoid Globrites. They use a proprietary housing that is difficult to replace in the future when those will inevitably fail. The Microbrite is Pentair's newest light, and has an industry standard installation fitting so one day it will be easy to replace in kind, or even a different, compatible with one.

Looking forward to more updates.

I probably wasn’t clear enough about the salt water note. if we start we a swcg/salt water then thats all we‘d ever have unless we drained the pool, scrubbed it, then refilled it again. But by starting with UV/ozone sanitation for a year or two then we can compare effort, cost, and cleanliness with that of our friends who have salt water pools, then make a determination which method is right for us. Extra cost? Yup. But maybe peace of mind too? yes.

we‘re in Roswell so not far from Marietta. Did you choose a finish yet? we want to view as many as possible before we make our final choice.
We looked into Pebbletec, Wetedge, and Stonescapes. We actually like Stonescapes because they seem to have more blue tone options for no upcharge and their mini felt the smoothest.

Progress report! the hole has been dugged, digged, duggen? We have a hole!
Before-Land cleared.jpg

This is the area for the pool - you can see the back of our outside fireplace on the right and so can tell the ground is raised probably 4 feet or so.

Hole Dug.jpg

And there she is! The spa is on the left, the shallow end is towards the bottom and the deep end is towards the top. We'll have to add material to the right so we have a decent walkway around the pool on that side. We have a building buffer on the left so couldn't shift the pool any further that way. It just means we'll have nice landscaping there. The sauna cabin will be between the spa and the swing set in the background, and the equipment pad will go behind the cabin.

Hole dug aerial.jpg

The aerial shot shows the layout better. The additional hole on the left is a local drainage requirement. Very exciting!

Here's our equipment list as it stands right now:
Pump – Pentair 2.7HP Variable Speed Intelliflo Pump
Lights – Pentair 5G Intellibrite Color LED Lights - 3 in the pool and 1 in the spa based on recommendations I've read on this forum (thank you!)
Salt System – Pentair Intellichlor - I was pretty interested in a UV system but I just couldn't find online info anywhere on monitoring chemicals/pool addition levels. There was nothing. So based on that and the wealth of info on this forum we decided to switch to a salt system. Thank you again.
Spa Blower – I don't have that yet
Heater - gas powered and 399k BTU - I don't have the model yet
Automation – Right now it states Easy touch with screen logic app. I know the recommendation is for Intellitouch so I need to check into this further
Filter – Pentair Clean and Clear Cartridge Filter 420sqft

Please feel free to comment on the above. The pool is going to be about 36x20' with a 3.5 shallow end and a 7' deep end. The spa is 7' in diameter. The total volume is estimated at about 20k gallons

It's been raining off and on for the past week or so but the PB is intending to get plumbing done this week.

Thanks,
Daniel.

Very exciting for sure. Also love the arial shots!

I know the recommendation is for Intellitouch so I need to check into this further
Actually the recommendation would be for the Intellicenter. You would want the package with the load center with the SWCG power built in. Something like this...

Don't quote me on that exact system, but something like that, but also be aware there is a shortage on theses systems so see what you want to do and what your PB or you can actually get.

If EasyTouch is the only option because of availability, you can't go wrong, it is a tried and true system, but the Intellicenter is the newest and best system. Just stay away from the "Lite" version. The Intelitouch is a very simple system and probably not what you are looking at based on your build.

Pentair 5G Intellibrite Color LED Lights - 3 in the pool and 1 in the spa based on recommendations I've read on this forum (thank you!)
Also if you are looking for Pentair's newest lights, those would be the Microbrites. You should be ok with the Intellibrite lights, but whatever you do, stay away from the Globrites, those require a special niche, are not as reliable, and would be a pain in the future for any upgrades or changes.

Looking forward to the progress here!

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Congrats on breaking ground! I'm over in Alpharetta, and just going through the consultation process now, so will definitely be following your thread. Good call on switching to salt! Even though I'm looking to build my first pool, I spent a number of years in HS and college as a lifeguard at commercial pools, so know water chemistry pretty well. I've also had a saltwater hot tub for the last 11 years. UV/ozone, unless something has changed significantly in the last couple years can be helpful as a secondary sanitizer, but is not effective enough to be the primary sanitizer, especially in something as large as a pool. Even in my 500 gallon hot tub, I previously had ozone (now removed) in addition to the salt, and it alone wasn't enough for our usage. As others have said, the salt levels in a pool are significantly lower than the ocean, and even lower than the natural saline in the human eye. As long as pH and calcium are kept in check, you should have no problems with short or long term corrosion. You'll also want to maintain an appropriate amount of cyanuric acid (CYA) as a stabilizer to keep chlorine levels stable for a longer period. Once you work out those things though, salt tends to be less maintenance, less harsh, and overall more enjoyable!

The plumbers showed up today and ran the pipes between some new equipment they brought with them and the pool and spa
IMG_5080.jpg
IMG_5081.jpg
IMG_5082.jpgIMG_5083.jpg
I also see 3 very large light sockets and one smaller one for the spa and 2 Hayward branded skimmer boxes. I do have a question about the filter though: it states “for freshwater pool only” - are all pools considered freshwater or will this need to be swapped?
thanks, Daniel.

We had a team install the steel today. Looks like a nice, tidy job with the cross bars becoming more dense in the deep end. Hopefully we get some gunite soon! Happy 4th everyone!IMG_5098.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_5097.jpg
    IMG_5097.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5096.jpg
    IMG_5096.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5095.jpg
    IMG_5095.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Love
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
We’re calling it Sputnik.

european space agency GIF

BLAST OFF!!
does anyone in the Atlanta area have either pebble sheen ocean blue plaster, bluestone coping, and/or natural stone decking? Our PB said they‘d find some examples for us but we’ve been waiting a while…

Gunite done - now it really looks like we have a pool!

Gunite.jpgGunite OH ii.jpg

You can see the 3 returns nicely spaced in the pool, and two of the 3 lights are clear to see. The third light is at about the 7 o'clock position in the lower left side. We were expecting rain all day but instead had overcast skies so probably ideal for gunite installation. And now the watering begins...

Gunite done - now it really looks like we have a pool!

View attachment 354728View attachment 354729

You can see the 3 returns nicely spaced in the pool, and two of the 3 lights are clear to see. The third light is at about the 7 o'clock position in the lower left side. We were expecting rain all day but instead had overcast skies so probably ideal for gunite installation. And now the watering begins...
Your pool design is beautiful! I'm impressed you got the shotcrete done that close to the rebar! We are in the N. Atlanta area as well and have been waiting for a couple of weeks after the rebar for the shotcrete. We will use Bluestone Marble - pm me if you want the source - beautiful texture and color. Exciting - bet you'll be swimming soon!

We're excited! We just measured the interior and are almost bang-on what we were hoping for. We've got 36' length, 21' at the widest point, just about 3'7" in the very shallow corner and right on 7' in the deep end assuming the water level is half way up the skimmers. We'll lose a teeny bit to pebblesheen coating but it won't be much.
We went to see an example of Blue Ocean the PB installed at another pool near by last year and it's just what we're looking for - that glacier, mountain lake slate blue colour. It looked great in the sunlight and when the sun disappeared behind some clouds so we're all set with it.
Yeah the PB doesn't necessarily stick to a schedule - we get calls to say xxx will happen on Tuesday, or YYY will be onsite tomorrow. We just bend and flex as much as possible to accommodate - I want to be swimming this year!!

It really looks great, and the aerial pic really does put things in perspective. You're going to have an amazing backyard when it's all done! If you get a chance, can you PM me your PB name? I'm still going through the bid process and looking for at least one more quote.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.