New pool next week, whats next?

Thanks guys for all the responses.

1- I have been unable to find anyone willing to truck in water, most of the places I called work for the oil field, and don't deal with water for swimming/drinking, might be a Oklahoma thing lol.

2- I have been able to get the copper down to 2. I have been using/testing the back yard water spigot, which is the last on the line for the house. So I moved to the front spigot, which is the first on the line to my house, one new test later i'm at a .2 for copper now. I did even test my neighbor water and his was a .3 for copper. I'm trying everything I can think of to make this work, or get better somehow lol.

3- I called and talked to a nice person at Culator. ( Home-CuLator Metal Eliminator and Stain Preventer for Pools and Spas - CuLator Metal Eliminator and Stain Preventer ) he said I need a good "Metal sequestering agent" I can use theirs or even one that my pool store sells, and that will make sure nothing sticks to my liner, and then if I was to get two of theirs Ultra 4.0 kits it would take care of the metal in my water, but since this is my fill water I would need to buy one of the smaller kits each year and use it to keep the copper down to 0.

I did place a order on Amazon for Two Ultra 4.0 kits, and two bottles of Jack's magic the blue stuff. (I will get the Ultra kits Friday, but The blue stuff wont come till Monday.) My local pool stores only had BioGuard Pool Magnet Plus, and Metal Free, which both don't seem to have a good review on this forum.

If it were me, I would wait until you hear from TFP's resident metal expert before taking pool store, or even manufacturer advice. Those folks are trying to sell you something, TFP experts recommend only what's right for your pool. Mixing and matching TFP advice with other resources, like retailers, is a sure-fire way to mess up your water. The TFP advice might very well match that of these other sources, but if it doesn't, I'd go with TFP advice before others. Just sayin'... you might be getting a bit ahead of yourself.

Dirk, I 100% agree with you, and would follow the forum advice before a pool store or a manufacturer. When I was pool shopping, I was told so many different things that I knew I had to find a forum or something to cut out all the junk. You guys have been so awesome its unreal. It's one of the reason I became a supporter, I might not have any knowledge to offer yet, but at least I can do that lol.

I was off today and did a lot of searching and calling around, and if there is a chance I might need it, then I figure get it on order so I can have it quicker. Good/bad news is, right now it's flooding in OKC so my pool install might not happen tomorrow, so I might have more time to figure it out. Kids wont be happy, but I want to get it right the first time.

Tested my fill water again, it's starting to get a lot easier.

FC - 0
CC - 0 (Got a 0 at last lol )
TC - 0 (I did run a total chlorine test with the k-1000 kit, just to make sure and it came up with a 0 as well )
TA - 50
PH - 7.0
CH - 150

Lookin' good. I think you'll appreciate this extra practice. A lot of new owners wait until their pool is filling before they even think to order a kit. You're going to be way ahead of the curve. Nice job!

Dirk, you are 100% right on that, just doing the 4 or 5 tests have helped me so much its unreal. When the kit first showed up I was over overwhelmed with all the little bottles lol, now its only taking me 3-5mins to do it. We did not get started on the pool today, but we are trying for tomorrow morning.

Next questions are.
1- I still need to figure out what the best way for dealing with the copper, if anyone has any thoughts on it I'm all ears.

2- its going to be Monday or Tuesday till I can get a electrician out to wire up a 240 for my pump, while the water is filling would it be wise to add any chemicals ? I won't know the total gallons right away, but it will be for sure over 19,000 gallons.

Tested my water again. (Going to be my last test of the fill water, since I'm understanding how to test now, thanks again everyone for helping me get the hang of it)

CL - 1
PH - 6.8
FC - .5
CC - 1
CH - 150
TA - 50

You can wait until the pool is full before you add chemicals. Refer to post #19 above for tips about calculating your volume in gallons. Plug that number into PoolMath, in the Size field. Set the popup menus in the last row "Suggested Goal Levels. Put zero into the Now field of the FC row and your target FC into the Target field. Set the weight and jug size in that same row, in the rightmost column. Then read the amount of chlorine to add.

Distribute the chlorine around the edge of the pool, and then brush the pool to mix it in. Or you can use a broom or paddle and walk it around the pool to mix up the water. Or you could rent a sump pump from Home Depot to circulate the water.

I'm checking with our AG Expert if you can leave the pool empty until after the pump is wired, as that would simplify the mixing. It's unfortunate it won't be ready to go tomorrow. Stand by on that.

Have plenty of chlorine on hand. And buy some CYA, that'll go in soon.

It does need water in it asap. Any kind of wind or knock from a critter or person could do some major damage. You can also get in the pool and walk around and around and around to mix the water up. Sure is a lot funner that way!

You can also put the CYA in a sock and let the hose water flow over it to help get it into the water. I would start that when the water is over the top of YOUR foot (couple of inches I guess).

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi human, I’m late getting here butjust wanted to add that if you’re getting .2 as opposed to 2 from your spigot you should be fine on the copper front.

I wasn’t confident in your pool store test reporting 4.0 on copper from your tap...that’s virtually impossible even with very old copper piping. Something was amiss there.

Apart from sequestrant on startup, I wouldn’t worry too much about .2 from your tap. If it builds up over time, you can dilute it with more tap water and catch as much rain as you can.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.