New Pool , New Water what do you try to do 1st

mac1911

Bronze Supporter
Jul 31, 2019
plymouth
So I picked up the taylor 2006 kit , have plenty of chems and pool is filling .
What do you correct first?
PH, Stabilzer, im filling with tap water so basically only thing close to levels needed is pH currently ar 7.2

Chlorine, FC of 3 ppm. CYA, start at 30 ppm dissolving. Check pH, adjust to the 7's, if necessary. Test TA, you need the value if you need to add acid.

Add more CYA if pool has issues holding FC. Follow the FC/CYA Levels

A fresh fill doe not need to follow the SLAM Process
Chlorine and CYA.

Reactions: mac1911
Thank you,
maybe Im not wording my question correctly.
New pool , water fill fresh out of the tap. Can you list the order of chemical correction, wait times for testing.

I might have missed it or juzt did not find it looking around

Do I fill the pool , do my tests, enter data into TFP app and dump all the corrections in at once or do o do it in steps?
On the app do you correct in the order given?
FC, PH , TA, CH, CYA?
Pool is about 3/4 full now. 6k g.
FC 0
PH 7.0
TA 80ppm
CH 120ppm
CYA less than 30 - less than 30 as thats the mim on the test tube its as clear as can be so assume 0

Last edited:
A fresh fill doe not need to follow the SLAM Process
Chlorine and CYA.
Thank you,
I think most people would think they need to slam or super shock their new fill pools.
I used the pool math app to get my suggested corrections and so far so good. As for Data log , ughh messed it all up. Went back to pencil and note book.

Tried again today 6000g summer waves seasonal pool
water was very warm 90'F with the floating thermometer Kids like that "hot" water the firest few inches then the cooler layer under.

Taylor test kit
FC 3.6
PH 7.6
TA 80
CH 80- only thing that the app says I should bring up , well it comes up with 300 in the "target" input. Can I use ANY type of sodium chloride like "ice melt" I have plenty left over from last winter?
CYA 40

No need for calcium in your pool. It is a vinyl liner. Should not show it is needed in Poolmath if you have the pool setup as Vinyl.

Never put tablets in the skimmer. They are very acidic. The acidic water is being pulled through your pump and doing it no favors along with the skimmer body.

Get a floating chlorinator if you are going to use tablets. I suggest you simply add CYA and liquid chlorine. But up to you.
would pre dissolving the tablets be better. My wife bought a large bucket of them. I have been using 12.5% Chlorine as I bought a case a while back.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
No, tablets are meant to dissolve slowly. And the chlorine gas generated by trying to dissolve them would be very irritating and potentially dangerous.

Reactions: mac1911
No, tablets are meant to dissolve slowly. And the chlorine gas generated by trying to dissolve them would be very irritating and potentially dangerous.
Thank you, figured as much
Every time I see or use any of the pool chems I,think of how badly things could go.
I will check my pool math I'm pretty sure I picked vinyl but I did erase and reset , but though that was just chem data ?

CFE96443-03FC-4AEC-99F1-59082256596A.jpeg
just want to say thank you for helping me get on track, once I figured out how to use the taylor test kit and followed the TFP tips pool has been clean and clear. Looking forward to getting to the end of the season with out the swamp.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.