New Pool New House

Mar 23, 2017
Tallhassee, FL
Hi Guys, I recently moved into a new house with a pool. I have never had a pool so I started doing some research on pool care and came upon this site and it seems to be the best method. The pool is 18 x 36 3 ft to 8 ft deep with a vinyl linear and is using a 1.1 hp and Hayward sand filter with the pump running for 12 hours a day. So the previous owner had a pool service come out and they had it until the end of April so while I was moving in I let them do it for a few weeks until I got my bearings. I tested the water out with the TF-100 April 29th and got the following readings.

TC 3.5
CYA 20
TA 90
CH 225
PH 7.8

I thought it was pretty in line so I let the pool guy do his final cleaning the next week and now I am the one in charge of the pool. I tested my water the other day 5/2/2017 and got the following.

FC 1.5
CC .5
TA 110
CH 225
CYA 30

The pool guy had a floater and was adding chlorine with that method, I added what I thought would be enough liquid chlorine according to pool math and it seemed to bump it up enough just by checking with the taylor test.

I tried doing a cleaning the other day after testing and got most of the debris out of the pool but i did notice that I am getting some brown staining in the deep end of the pool on the sides. Water looks good and as far as I can tell the readings i'm getting seem to be in line. Any idea what the staining could be from? Also is 12 hours of the pump running during the summer long enough or should I go more or less? Ill keep testing the water every day or so and adding what I think is enough chlorine until I get a feel for how much chlorine i should add everyday. We have really enjoyed the pool so far but now I just need to get my bearings and figure some things out. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Also a note the pool guy was back washing the pump every week, After looking around here and talking to people in the pool store it seems I should let that build up longer than that the gauge on my pump doesn't show anything on the gauge right now.

Welcome and congrats on the house.
First off, are you familiar with the [fc/cya][/FC/cya] chart? Please check it out to maintain your FC at the correct level. When dosing, you need to go high enough to not dip under the lowest point on the chart before your next dose. This is the most important takeaway from TFP.

As to your discoloration/staining, can you please post pictures?
Are you on a well, or municipal water?
Ask the former pool guy if he ever tested the metals or used algaecide with copper in it.

Its possible that it is metal staining, but also possible its something else. More info will help us help you and getting the FC up is the first order of business either way ;)

He did use an algecide, I spoke with him while he was cleaning one time and I saw him put it in it so I imagine he has been adding it for a while. I was kinda wondering if that might be the issue, I know that has copper in it. Ill try and get some pictures tonight of the algae.

Ill retest the water tonight and make sure I can get the FC level up on the higher end to see how much it is using everyday.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.