New pool need help....cloudy water

We need a little more info to help:
- Please update your signature with all of your pool and equipment info
- Taylor kit ... which one? K-2005, K-2006? It make a big difference.
- Where in Texas are you? Best to update profile location as well.
- Can you post a pic of the water?

How new of a pool? When was plaster completed and water added?

What type of filter? What is your filter pressure?

What are you using to chlorinate your pool?

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test and see if you have signs of algae.

Very good. So a little cloudy but not the worse. Looks like you need to perform a TFP SLAM to clear the algae. It's important to follow all the instructions on that page carefully. I've heard of a K-2005, but not 2007. Hummm. Regardless, you'll want to ensure you have the FAS-DPD to test FC accurately at higher levels.

In my sig is the Chlorine/CYA Chart, so once you know your CYA level, use the correspnding FC (SLAM) level and you're good to maintain it. Make sure to lower the pH to 7.2 before starting the SLAM. Good luck!

PS - Allen has a point about the age of the pool. If it's very new, a SLAM is not ideal. But if the pool is over 30 days old, it looks like a SLAM is needed. You can do the OCLT to confirm unless you know more about the water's history that may have caused the cloudiness.

Plaster is about 2 weeks old
Taylor kit K-2006
Cya 70
The pool company put chlorine tabs in but I’ve been using the BBB METHOD. I use to be a chemist. I was thinking of cleaning the filter then adding some clarifier.

Definatley don't SLAM then. The plaster is too new. Plaster dust might be the issue and not algae. What type of filter do you have?

Continue with the break-in period, brush, and filter (rinse/backwash) as best as you can.

Taylor kit K-2006
Cya 70
The pool company put chlorine tabs in but I’ve been using the BBB METHOD. I use to be a chemist. I was thinking of cleaning the filter then adding some clarifier.

You really do not want to SLAM Process new plaster that is curing.

I hope you have stopped using tablets as your CYA is higher then it should be with 2 week old plaster.

Please use PoolMath and calculate your CSI. For best plaster curing your CSI should be between 0 and +0.5 for the first 30 days. As a chemist you might want to read The CSI is Reliable for Plaster-based Pools

Are you running your pump 24/7 and brushing the pool a few times a day?

DO NOT ADD CLARIFIER!

I would maintain a FC level of 8-10 with liquid chlorine and not worry about any cloudiness until your pool has cured for over 30 days. Let's see where it is in a few weeks.

What are you using for liquid chlorine?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks for all the advice the pool company startup guy added those tablets and suggested clarifier. I want to stick to the basics ( Baking Soda, Bleach and Borax)

I’m using 6% Chlorox. I basically got tired of this pool company guesstimating with there chemicals. I’m using the troublefree pool calculator to keep track of results and additions.

Clorox may be part of your problem. Do not use Clorox bleach. Just about all of it today says it contains Cloromax Technology. That is polymers that should not be in your pool. Find another liquid chlorine source.

What type of filter do you have?

Have you cleaned your filter since your pool was started?

Yes I’m brushing the pool 2x a day but the pool company cut back the pump schedule. How many days should I run the pump 24/7?

How much are you running the pump now?

I would run the pump 24/7 until you clear the cloudiness. At least the first 30 days.

Do you have any suggestions on the type of bleach to use?

Bleach and liquid chlorine types depend on local area. Check Target, Walmart, HD, Lowes. There are threads in the Chemistry section with jug dumpers sharing where they get their liquid chlorine.

Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Filter. No, I have not clean the filter since startup.

What size?

I would clean the filter. You don't know how much plaster dust has clogged it during the startup.

Note the filter pressure before cleaning and the filter pressure after. You should clean the filter anytime the filter pressure increases by 20% from clean pressure.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.