New pool maintainer

youmyboyblue

Silver Supporter
Jul 12, 2019
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Hello!

We are relatively new homeowners and just got our pool repaired with a new liner and fresh fill of water about 5 days ago.

It's a nice 18'x36' inground pool, approx. 20,000 gallons (measured via water meter using the start and finish during the fill).
Water is clear, when I swim it's a tad cloudy to me.

I've been trying to keep up on the chlorine while waiting for my amateur chemistry set, errr, water test kit from Amazon. I got one recommended by TFP with the more precise FC test.

Anyways, here are my results from this morning:

FC: 0.8 ppm
CC: 0.2 ppm
CYA: <30 ppm
pH: 8.0
Calcium hardness: 80 ppm
Total alkalinity: 60 ppm

Based on this, I need to keep putting in liquid chlorine, increase CYA, and lower pH.
I'm going to head to the store and get stabilizer and muriatic acid.
Once the CYA and pH are stabilized (goal 30 and 7.5 respectively), and FC is hovering around 5, then I'll do the overnight test and see if a SLAM is necessary.
Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
Is it OK to add the stabilizer and muriatic acid at the same time, or should I do one at a time?

Thanks!
Stephen

Welcome to the forum!
Have you added any CYA/stabilizer? If not, add 30 ppm worth using the sock method.
Keep your FC in the target range for 30 ppm CYA - see FC/CYA Levels
You can do a OCLT. But with a fresh fill, you should not have any issues.
Lower your pH to 7.6.

You can add stabilizer and muriatic acid at the same time. Just do not add liquid chlorine and muriatic acid at the same time.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

For future FC testing, use 10 ml water sample, one scoop of powder, and each drop of reagent to clear equals 0.5 ppm FC.

Thank you, mknauss! You're very observant that I used the 0.2 ppm measurement for FC. Sounds good, will use less of the tester kit that way.

Added muriatic acid and pH is already down, about 7.8 Will add some more tomorrow.

I had not added CYA previously as I'm a complete newbie and wasn't sure if there was any in the city water. Testing showed there basically was none (black dot never disappeared). I went ahead and added it via the sock method, still has a ways to go to dissolve. FC is still low. Waited a few hours after adding the muriac, then put some more chlorine in.

Thanks again!

CYA is only in the water if you add it. It is not in city water nor does it occur naturally.

Reactions: Oly
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.