New pool is full and pump pieces missing

Thebybeebunch

May 9, 2020
Ft Mitchell Alabama
We just installed a 24x52 hard sided above ground pool. We installed the pump when the pool was just below the return jet. Get the pump hooked up and realized it was missing a piece. The manufacturer is sending the missing piece but I am unsure how long it will take. I haven’t added anything to the pool. What can/should I do to keep the pool water clean enough until the pump is in operations?

We just installed a 24x52 hard sided above ground pool. We installed the pump when the pool was just below the return jet. Get the pump hooked up and realized it was missing a piece. The manufacturer is sending the missing piece but I am unsure how long it will take. I haven’t added anything to the pool. What can/should I do to keep the pool water clean enough until the pump is in operations?
Welcome! :wave:

I hope you have a pole and a brush. Add some bleach and mix it by brushing. You know the diameter and it's easy enough to measure the current depth so poolmath can calculate volume and give you the dose. Figure 3 FC per day.

Another option is to buy a floater and some trichlor tablets and drop that in. Just keep track of how many you've added, so you don't overdo it with the CYA.

If you haven't read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry do so. Then these acronyms will make sense.
PoolMath can do the math for you. There are also some useful links at the top of that page. Try not to overdo the reading here such that you end up befuddled and :crazy: It's really not difficult. It just needs some doing to make sense.

Welcome! :wave:

I hope you have a pole and a brush. Add some bleach and mix it by brushing. You know the diameter and it's easy enough to measure the current depth so poolmath can calculate volume and give you the dose. Figure 3 FC per day.

Another option is to buy a floater and some trichlor tablets and drop that in. Just keep track of how many you've added, so you don't overdo it with the CYA.

If you haven't read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry do so. Then these acronyms will make sense.
PoolMath can do the math for you. There are also some useful links at the top of that page. Try not to overdo the reading here such that you end up befuddled and :crazy: It's really not difficult. It just needs some doing to make sense.
So bleach is hard to come by, thanks Rona, I picked up a couple jugs of chlorine can I just use that? Not a new pool owner but new to this method and it’s been about 4 years and that was a horrible small intex pool. Thanks for your help. I am learning lots of new things here.

Almost a week later and still no pump piece. Pool seems ok but It getting tons of things floating and dirt at the bottom. The pump is missing the trap assembly. Can I run it without that piece? We are planning a pool party for Memorial day and I need to keep it from turning green. I've tried to find a used pump to use until the part comes in but I can't find one. This was a brand new pool and pump so I don't want to go purchase anything else.

Ok that is what I call the pump filter basket. I though that is what you were talking about.

So this was recommended to me by @jimmythegreek. Get a submersible sump pump and toss it in without the discharge hose to circulate the water. It should keep things nice and clear for you.

Call the company tomorrow and ask for a tracking number to see when it is expected.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can keep water circulating with a submersible pump but you won't get any skimming or filtration. If you can afford it I would try to find a pump locally since they don't seem to be in any big hurry to ship that part. I would be real tempted to return the pump. If they won't take it back you can try to sell it or keep it as a back up pump.

Dose it heavy with chlorine and use a sump pump to spin the water. I keep pool builds clear for weeks on end like this. Anything dead falls to the floor clean up when parts come. I've even slammed a green pool like that and got it clear in days just a layer of dead stuff on the floor in the end

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.