new pool in tucson az

Looks awesome! Congrats!

Pretty sure I've settled on using the same plaster company as you, just talked to them yesterday about their schedule. I've still got a lot to get done before they can start, but hoping for plaster mid June.

Looks awesome! Congrats!

Pretty sure I've settled on using the same plaster company as you, just talked to them yesterday about their schedule. I've still got a lot to get done before they can start, but hoping for plaster mid June.

Thank you

- - - Updated - - -

Here is my meter reading. 2F171A32-15D8-46F4-B30C-3B8D776BDACC.jpgC187BCFC-D892-4D67-A562-6723C516B327.jpgE8B6014C-C70C-4752-B48C-31604F108DE2.jpg
My pool is 29x15 with an average depth of 3.5+6+5.5=15/3=5
all the calculators say 16k
what am I messing

Sorry, I've been bouncing around threads. Was it your pool in which they started the fill before you snapped your meter? If not, trust the meter.

Did you do any dimension calc's for the steps and benches and landings. They could be 3K easy.

If you snapped pic one when empty and pic two when full, you're good to go. House usage might be a couple hundred if you weren't skimping during your fill.

There's nothing wrong with your number. This is a testament to why I harp on this to everyone. It works, and can be thousands of gallons closer to actual than any dimensional math, which doesn't account for compound curves, slopes angles, benches, steps, etc.

Without the meter trick, you would have been over-dosing your new pool with too much of everything. And stumbling around for months until you figured that out.

If you're really unconvinced, go fill a gallon jug 10 times while you're watching the meter.

Sorry, I've been bouncing around threads. Was it your pool in which they started the fill before you snapped your meter? If not, trust the meter.

Did you do any dimension calc's for the steps and benches and landings. They could be 3K easy.

If you snapped pic one when empty and pic two when full, you're good to go. House usage might be a couple hundred if you weren't skimping during your fill.

There's nothing wrong with your number. This is a testament to why I harp on this to everyone. It works, and can be thousands of gallons closer to actual than any dimensional math, which doesn't account for compound curves, slopes angles, benches, steps, etc.

Without the meter trick, you would have been over-dosing your new pool with too much of everything. And stumbling around for months until you figured that out.

If you're really unconvinced, go fill a gallon jug 10 times while you're watching the meter.

i never considered the benches/lagoon. There was very little when I started, I am going to trade what was in there for the shower and toilet flushes

i never considered the benches/lagoon. There was very little when I started, I am going to trade what was in there for the shower and toilet flushes

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner!

- - - Updated - - -

So maybe it was riley that had the extra water in the bottom before he recorded the meter? I wish you would have told me. I would have had you measure width, length, depth of the puddle. I found a site that can calculate volume from the dimensions of a slice of a sphere...

Here is my meter reading.
My pool is 29x15 with an average depth of 3.5+6+5.5=15/3=5
all the calculators say 16k
what am I messing

Which calculators were you using? A rectangular pool with those dimensions would be ~16k gal, but yours isn't rectangular. I've only found a couple pool volume calculators with an option for freeform/kidney shaped pools like yours, and the first one I found gave me 13,947 for the dimensions above, which doesn't account for the benches or lagoon. And as Dirk mentioned, the calculators are all very rough estimates, as every pool has a lot of compound curves that aren't accounted for.

Winner, winner. Chicken dinner!

- - - Updated - - -

So maybe it was riley that had the extra water in the bottom before he recorded the meter? I wish you would have told me. I would have had you measure width, length, depth of the puddle. I found a site that can calculate volume from the dimensions of a slice of a sphere...

[emoji23] I can show you a photo if you’d like to estimate? The slope of the pool floor might throw you off a bit. They were scheduled to start acid wash around 10.30am. At 10am no one was there yet. By 12pm there was a medium puddle and by 12.42pm there was a large puddle as per backyard camera. My estimate is based on them turning up on time, acid washing them starting the fill around 11-11.30am.

Mine is the 29 foot long, one piece of kidney is 16 feet wide and the other is 14 feet wide, so I estimated. I really am happy with the 13,000, my SWG is Ichori 30, so I cover the 2x’s easily

ps test kit came! Time to play chemist

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
[emoji23] I can show you a photo if you’d like to estimate? The slope of the pool floor might throw you off a bit. They were scheduled to start acid wash around 10.30am. At 10am no one was there yet. By 12pm there was a medium puddle and by 12.42pm there was a large puddle as per backyard camera. My estimate is based on them turning up on time, acid washing them starting the fill around 11-11.30am.

Sorry Justin, we're going to borrow your thread...

If they put in the same hoses, and used the same bibs, and you didn't change any of that for your portion of the fill, and you're sure of the time they started, and you kept track of start and stop times for your portion of the fill, then you could calculate what was there before you took your first meter read using gallons per hour. That's a lot of "ands."

Or if your puddle was mostly a round bowl shape, like the slice of a sphere, you can use the "Spherical Cap" portion of this set of calculators to estimate volume, then a separate calculator (google it) to convert volume to gallons:

Spherical cap sector and segment calculator

That Spherical Cap calculator has a half dozen fields, but you only need to fill in any two, and it'll figure out the rest. Your volume will be in the "Cap volume (V)" field. You'll use the "Cap height (h)" and "Cap base radius (r)" fields.

h = the depth of your puddle
r = the average of height and width of the puddle, divided by 2 (the radius of your puddle)

You might get closer with either method than a guess... Let me know if you need any help with the calculations, or just send me the three dimensions (h, w, d)...

You both need to update your siggies. If you ask for help with your startup chemistry, TFP experts will look straight to your signature for the pool's volume. And now you both have the real deal number!

OK, I need a nap... :sleep:

Sorry Justin, we're going to borrow your thread...

Spherical cap sector and segment calculator

That Spherical Cap calculator has a half dozen fields, but you only need to fill in any two, and it'll figure out the rest. Your volume will be in the "Cap volume (V)" field. You'll use the "Cap height (h)" and "Cap base radius (r)" fields.

h = the depth of your puddle
r = the average of height and width of the puddle, divided by 2 (the radius of your puddle)

Possibly any other day I might actually attempt to understand that but today my brain hurts! I think I’m good with my rough calculations. I think it’s fairly spot on as I calculated hourly fill rate and worked backwards to find approx. start reading. I didn’t touch the tap or add another hose. Little to no water was used inside. Thanks for your help though.

Back to Justin’s pool!

I think I’m good with my rough calculations.

You both absolutely are.

The ultimate confirmation is the testing/dosing (and all that really matters anyway). Say you measure FC of 4. And your target FC is 6. So you plug that into Pool Math, along with your volume, and it'll tell you to add X amount of chlorine. So you do. If you circulate well for a bit, and then re-measure FC, and get 6, then your volume is correct!

NICE! That is looking great! SO close!

Did you use grass seed for slope? That is coming in fast!

The grass on the left, I dug up before I put dirt down for patio area. Then I bought 12 rolls of sod, covered/ leveled with top soil. It is growing well! I think it will be full in a couple of weeks. Rain would help, but that won’t come for 6 weeks
KIm:kim:

the grass on the left, I dug up before I put the dirt down for the patio area. Then I bought 12 rolls of sod, covered/leveled with top soil. It is growing fast, I think it will be full in a couple of weeks. Rain would help, but that isn’t coming for 6 weeks

Hello!
Sorry I have been absent, right when pool is done, two people have emergency work leave and the rest of us have to cover!

A quick question....it has been well established that a robot cleaner is the way to go, reading the new pool instructions says, no wheeled cleaners for a month. I will attach a picture of what I have, from my above ground pool. It doesn’t seem to work very well.

My question. Do I have to wait a month? I am either going to go with a dolphin or a suction side “pool cleaner”, what do I get if I have to wait another 2 weeks. Also, the pebble guy said to get the pool cleaner right away?

Help please
8A10518D-1059-4EA5-A596-BC51CDF41823.jpg

Hello!
Sorry I have been absent, right when pool is done, two people have emergency work leave and the rest of us have to cover!

A quick question....it has been well established that a robot cleaner is the way to go, reading the new pool instructions says, no wheeled cleaners for a month. I will attach a picture of what I have, from my above ground pool. It doesn’t seem to work very well.

My question. Do I have to wait a month? I am either going to go with a dolphin or a suction side “pool cleaner”, what do I get if I have to wait another 2 weeks. Also, the pebble guy said to get the pool cleaner right away?

Help please

Warranty trumps all else. Not sure what you mean by "pool instructions." I remember you're the PB, are you referring to a TFP article? If you have a warranted surface and you have instructions from the supplier or installer, I'd follow those instructions to the letter.

No matter. It's not clear to me what's driving that 30 day number, nor for what type of surfaces it can be applied. I can only share my experience:

I have a Rebel Suction cleaner, I had it rolling around on my brand new pebble about 2 weeks in. Got written "permission" from the pebble installer (who is also the material supplier) to do just that. No ill effects. Your mileage may vary. I have a pebble surface. I had zero plaster dust. My surface was acid washed on its day 2. I think (educated guess) that all those things are factors. In other words, I wouldn't run wheels over 30-day-old plaster (without pebble), I might wait 60 days or more for that type of surface. If I was seeing a lot of plaster dust, I'd suspect a surface that was still in the throws of forming itself. And if I had a cleaner that had less-soft wheels, I'd also think twice. Etc.

The best I can advise (along with "warranty trumps"): brushing and vacuuming manually for 30 days is nothing compared to living with nasty scars along the bottom of your pool for the next 15 to 20 years. When in doubt, play it safe...

Our pb threw our dolphin in the day of start up so only 2 days after fill. Pebble was hard as rock only several hours after being applied so I can’t imagine it would damage the surface and I haven’t noticed anything. Of course it’s up to your pb. They’re all different.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.