New Pool in South Florida

Jul 6, 2017
South Florida
Hello Everyone,

After owning several Intex above ground pool, I've decided to build a pool for my family. I have several quotes from different contractors. Most of the quotes came in at 35K. The pool size quoted is 13x26. The pool will be fitted with a Jandy flopro 1.5 HP dual speed and a Jandy Truclear11k salt system for 35k. The pool is going to have 3 color Led lights. The finish of the pool is going to be Diamond Brite. We have a 6x6 spa included in the design. I have several questions for members of this forum.

1. How useful is to have a spa?

2. Undecided if we want to keep the Diamond Brite or upgrade to River Rok.

3. filter pump or sand pump?

4. Salt water corrosion issues?

Thank you in advance,

Charles

Attachments

• C58F2D54-CC2E-49C6-9B2A-6345AC8F3080.jpeg
    C58F2D54-CC2E-49C6-9B2A-6345AC8F3080.jpeg
    796 KB · Views: 28
Hello! Welcome to TFP :handwave:
How'd you settle on 13x26? Is your yard small? I'm concerned that that is a limiting size.... not a lot of room for actual swimming. Do you have a water depth picked out?

Sand filters are easiest to manage, IMO. You can even tweak them with a bit of pool DE powder to make them faster at catching the tiniest of debris.

I find built in spas to be uncomfortable compared to stand alone hot tubs. They don't have the features hot tubs have and the seating is hard and flat.

No salt water corrosion on my pool with the expensive autocover in 9 years that I can see? Salt water is ideal for pool chlorination- especially since *all* pools build up salt over time as each chemical breaks down and leaves a bit of salt behind. You don't have to worry about going out to buy chlorine time and again. You can even go away on vacation and know your pool is getting its daily dose.... great freedom!

Maddie :flower:

Hello! Welcome to TFP :handwave:
How'd you settle on 13x26? Is your yard small? I'm concerned that that is a limiting size.... not a lot of room for actual swimming. Do you have a water depth picked out?

Sand filters are easiest to manage, IMO. You can even tweak them with a bit of pool DE powder to make them faster at catching the tiniest of debris.

I find built in spas to be uncomfortable compared to stand alone hot tubs. They don't have the features hot tubs have and the seating is hard and flat.

No salt water corrosion on my pool with the expensive autocover in 9 years that I can see? Salt water is ideal for pool chlorination- especially since *all* pools build up salt over time as each chemical breaks down and leaves a bit of salt behind. You don't have to worry about going out to buy chlorine time and again. You can even go away on vacation and know your pool is getting its daily dose.... great freedom!

Maddie :flower:

Hi Maddie,

Thank you for your advice.

The reason we chose this size is because we want to save space for a pergola or a sitting area for the family. I can fit a 15x30, but this will use my whole space. Any advise regarding the finish of the pool? My friend tells me the River Rok last longer.

Last edited:

Some people use a spa more than others. I like to work out, so I tend to use it a lot. Remember that this kind of spa will be more similar to a spa at a hotel than a stand alone hot tub with tons of jets.

I had a sand filter (assuming you meant filter, not pump) in the past and maintenance was easy. I would backwash once a week and that was it. My next pool will have a cartridge filter, which is supposed to filter smaller particles. Most people seem to be happy with cartridge filters on here. They don’t need to be backwashed weekly but do need to be cleaned periodically.

Thank you in advance,

Charles
[/QUOTE]

Also, great price on the pool! I am about to start a pool build in Central Florida and my quotes started at about 2x that. My pool will be bigger and has a number of features, but that is still a great price in today’s market!

After owning several Intex above ground pool, I've decided to build a pool for my family. I have several quotes from different contractors. Most of the quotes came in at 35K. The pool size quoted is 13x26. The pool will be fitted with a Jandy flopro 1.5 HP dual speed and a Jandy Truclear11k salt system for 35k. The pool is going to have 3 color Led lights. The finish of the pool is going to be Diamond Brite. We have a 6x6 spa included in the design. I have several questions for members of this forum.

Congrat's on the decision to build a pool! That seems like a great price.

If you want to have a spa, and recline on a contoured, smooth fiberglass lounger while enjoying therapy massage goodness, with jets all over your feet, neck and body, get a stand-alone. If you want to sit on a hard, concrete, flat bench and fight over who gets one of the six jets that only drills into the middle of your back, then you're good. Seems like your pool could use all the sq ft it can get for swimming. Do you have another spot in your yard for a stand-alone?

Sorry, can't help much with that. If this is your forever house, get the longest lasting finish you can afford.

I clean my cartridge filter once a year. Depends on the environment. Mine is relatively clean, though my pool area and yard are fully landscaped. Even at once a year my filter is not very dirty.

None. You'll be happiest with an SWG. As Maddie explains you're going to have a saltwater pool no matter what. Might as well let it make chlorine for you.!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.