New pool in SoCal

Sep 6, 2020
Los Angeles
Hi there,
l am getting ready to pick a contractor and would love to know your thoughts on this bid. I want a simple, good quality 14 x 26 rectangular pool with spa built into the rectangle.

Initially the plan was no spa but I was told that for resale it’s better to have both, so we had to make some concessions in other places (like hardscaping, fencing upgrade and equipment). We already have a bunch of square and rectangular shaped pavers, so the plan is to repurpose those around the pool.

I’m taking my time to decide because I heard horror stories from friends who got burned (they had a lien put on their house because PB was taking payments but not paying his subcontractor). I’m a total pool newbie so I really appreciate this resource.

We got 8 different bids and this one was right in the middle. From reading this site I see that Pentair equipment seems to get the highest marks, but Hayward is in this bid. I brought it up and PB basically said that he gets a great deal for this equipment, which he can then pass onto me as per my request. Budget is a concern but does anyone have experience with Hayward?

I’m leaning towards this contractor because he‘s the brother of the contractor who renovated my home last year and did an awesome job for us. Also, my good friend is a major client (of PB’s brother) so I assume PB would want to do his best work for us.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide,
Dave

Attachments

• 2C1D8126-3F0E-46EF-9B73-3269BF0D5370.jpeg
    2C1D8126-3F0E-46EF-9B73-3269BF0D5370.jpeg
    222.5 KB · Views: 43
  • CB84B37F-3345-4F4F-930B-26921B49F08C.jpeg
    CB84B37F-3345-4F4F-930B-26921B49F08C.jpeg
    213.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 7C30E8A5-5BA7-47E3-B547-25C3B2FE2076.jpeg
    7C30E8A5-5BA7-47E3-B547-25C3B2FE2076.jpeg
    227.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 56C0F0EB-4311-4DE0-9E30-99A1AEB245F5.jpeg
    56C0F0EB-4311-4DE0-9E30-99A1AEB245F5.jpeg
    177.5 KB · Views: 39
Welcome to the forum!
Scrap the UV/Ozone thing and add a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. You will have a much nicer and more manageable pool experience.
Hayward equipment is fine. Many members have that brand and overall no significant issues are reported.
Have you ever sat in and used an integrated spa? They are more of a water feature than spa.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Welcome to the forum!
Scrap the UV/Ozone thing and add a SaltWater Chlorine Generator. You will have a much nicer and more manageable pool experience.
Hayward equipment is fine. Many members have that brand and overall no significant issues are reported.
Have you ever sat in and used an integrated spa? They are more of a water feature than spa.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.
Thanks so much, I really appreciate the feedback! Okay sounds good about the saltwater chlorine generator. I have used an integrated spa and enjoyed it, although standalone spas that I’ve tried definitely seem to have better jets. I definitely don’t plan to stay at this house for more than 5 years and even though I want to enjoy it, building a pool that will appeal to buyers for resale is important to me. I was told that buyers seem to prefer integrated because it’s permanent. I‘ve seen above ground pools that are built into the ground, is that possible with a standalone spa?

I have seen some threads on putting a spa in that looks built into the ground. You have to have access to the equipment so that side needs to not be in ground. A deck built up around a standalone spa looks good and you get a real spa.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.