New pool in SoCal

Apr 15, 2017
San Diego, CA
Hi,
I'm new here and have been reading other posts. Our pool has been shotcreted and our contractor is waiting on us to choose a pre-cast coping color. He gave us Pacific Stone samples to look at as well as Davis color concrete if we want poured in placed. He also wants us to choose our tile, stone and pebble sheen color. With all of these choices I need help. I appreciate all opinions.

Attachments

• IMG_3023.jpg
    IMG_3023.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_3029.jpg
    IMG_3029.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Pool Rendering.jpg
    Pool Rendering.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
Lovely view and lay out. I like the 3 glass tiles on the right. Did you decide against the Lightstream ones? Given your locations and open space, a lighter color plaster would be better as far as not getting too hot. The colors of everything really depend on personal preference and also the house and structures near the pool. Do you like more modern styles? Spanish? Cool tones? Warmer? The 3rd and 4th glass tiles would look lovely with tans and warmer tones and the last one looks more cool toned so I would do more greys. Where are you doing stone? Have you thought about decking? I believe concrete can be cooler and I think travertine, esp the silver, is stunning, but I have read mixed reviews as pool deck but know it stays very cool on the feet even in direct sunlight. It is just pricy.

What neat looking pool! I would love to see more pics of it!

My fav glass tile is the far right one. I like dark blue.

With any of that glass tile you will want to look at it with the different color mastic (stuff that holds it to the wall) and grout colors. Both will really influence the final color.

What do you want to pick next?

Kim:kim:

Lovely view and lay out. I like the 3 glass tiles on the right. Did you decide against the Lightstream ones? Given your locations and open space, a lighter color plaster would be better as far as not getting too hot. The colors of everything really depend on personal preference and also the house and structures near the pool. Do you like more modern styles? Spanish? Cool tones? Warmer? The 3rd and 4th glass tiles would look lovely with tans and warmer tones and the last one looks more cool toned so I would do more greys. Where are you doing stone? Have you thought about decking? I believe concrete can be cooler and I think travertine, esp the silver, is stunning, but I have read mixed reviews as pool deck but know it stays very cool on the feet even in direct sunlight. It is just pricy.

Good questions! I like the steel blue iridescent and bronze, silverado, blue steel blue iridescent from Lightstream, but since Brian said 4-5 weeks and you said it could take longer. Also, he quoted me $30 a square foot. (I also couldn't post more pictures?) The glass tiles in the pic I was able to post are $20-25 a square foot. The tile goes on the raised pool walls and the stone will go on the raised planter and spa wall. I've been told my style is "transitional. Our house is a new build and is a Spanish style exterior that's tan. My husband keeps telling me we need to match the house (that's my struggle) but I like grey. Did I read correctly that you paid $17.50 a Sq ft for the Lightstream tile?

- - - Updated - - -

What neat looking pool! I would love to see more pics of it!

My fav glass tile is the far right one. I like dark blue.

With any of that glass tile you will want to look at it with the different color mastic (stuff that holds it to the wall) and grout colors. Both will really influence the final color.

What do you want to pick next?

Kim:kim:

Good advice Kim. I thought the mastic or thin set is always a set color? I'm leaning toward the blue Glazzio tile, maybe with a grey grout color.

We paid $25 a sq ft for Lightstream tiles but paid $17.50 a linear foot for install (which is $25 a sq ft for install so same price as purchasing price). Did you look up the price sheet on Lightstreams website? 2x2 and 3x3 is $25 a sq ft in steel blue. Not sure about the mixed color pricing. Funny that he didn't mentioned the delay with the steel blue. Maybe he anticipates it being ready in a few weeks? Thr product we ultimately ended up with is 1.5" x 1.5" steel blue which is apparently a special order product and SHOULD have cost us $40 sq ft.

I am like you and I like the cool tones and the grey but can see where your husband is coming from. You could mix it and do the 3rd or 4th glass tile in that pic and mix some tan pavers or travertine or concrete and still get your cool tones but play off the house color.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.