Cedar Park, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Truclear / Ei
Been reading a lot but I think this is my first post. Great search engine here and the thread suggestions are good too. I see a lot of people going with Pentair but our builder uses Jandy. Both wife and I have had pools as a kid but not as adults. First build. Renderings do not include final tile or material selections. Back wall will have coping, designer suggested this false infinity edge but we went against it.

We are getting a 19x34' pool with 7' Diameter spa. Basic clearing has already happened and excavation is going to start next week.
3.5' on shallow end and 6.5' deep end
I had a pool with DE filter as a teen and I think that is the right option for me. The image shows the limestone in contact with the water but that will be tile. We may go with stacked travertine on the pillars and walls depending on the price difference. The back of the pool will be raised about 4-5' above the yard. We have a pretty significant slope. The flagstone patio is existing but we are adding more cool deck. The coping will be travertine, probably Walnut.

Water features include:
  • 3 deck jets,
  • 36" Sheer waterfall,
  • and a tanning ledge bubbler

Equipment updated 2/26:
  • Jandy Stealth VS 2.7hp w/ 8 speeds
  • Jandy 2Hhp booster for Spa
  • Jandy Cartridge
  • Jandy JXI 400K BTU heater (Natural Gas)
  • Chlorine Tablet feeder with mineral cell
  • Jandy SWCG (TruClear is spec'd)
  • 2 Standard Skimmers
  • Autofill
  • Polaris 9650 Sport robot
  • Jandy iAqualink automation and wifi link
PB is Jandy affiliated so that is not going to change.

Included surface is NPT StoneScapes mini pebbles but concerned about the rough texture. We like a friend's new pool with Aqua Blue with the abalone mixed in. Kids don't like the mini pebble or PebbleTec surfaces in their friends' pools.

Attachments

• pool1.png
    pool1.png
    385 KB · Views: 160
  • pool2.png
    pool2.png
    166.1 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!
If you have read much here, you will know we will recommend eliminating the tablet feeder and under all circumstances eliminate the mineral thing. Add a SWCG. Or make sure they leave you room to add one later as you will want it.
The Venturi skimmer require higher pump rates to operate. No need for it. Basic skimmers work just fine.
Jandy is not very pool owner friendly for maintenance or system adjustments. So be prepared to call and pay a Jandy rep each time anything needs to be done.
I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry.

Thanks for the response. I looked into Salt Water but don't think it is for us. We have too much limestone and will use Travertine coping. If it did not eat the stone I would be all in.

As far as the skimmer we have a lot of trees. One Heritage Live Oak will be within range of it and several other trees. Getting the leaves before they sink is a priority here. So I am interested in what can be done to help that. I understand that tuning your skimmer is necessary.

We looked at inground cleaning but turned it down because of price and engineering lead time. We have only seen one pool with that feature at a VRBO.

Quality stone is unaffected by the low level of salt in the pool water. All pools have salt in them. A pool chlorinated with liquid chlorine (which you will have) will have nearly the level of salt that a SWCG pool has in a little over a year.

Good call on passing on the in floor cleaner. A robot (most of us have Maytronics robots) is by far the best choice.

OK, we do have one friend with a SWG pool and Lueder stone that was affected by the salt and disintegrated in 5 places around his pool. He still endorses the SWG and replaced and sealed most of the coping affected.

I also read this thread on SWG with Travertine.

I am now leaning towards going with SWG and Cartridge filter.
Will keep reading.

Last edited:
Howdy fellow Texan,
Your design is awesome. I really like the curvature on the far wall and the water feature on the right side.

One option is to consider having your water feature on a separate circulation system - suction, pump and return. This provides a backup circulation system if your main pump would go down and cannot repair immediately. Also you can control it separately of your pool circulation needs. Obviously your main pool pump can handle it but something to consider.

I hear mix reviews on deck jets, I do not personally have it so cannot speak from experience but you may want to research that more on the forum. Although it does look nice in your graphic and I like how they are positioned for your pool design. Just ensure you have individual control for each deck jet in case one breaks or you do not want to run all 3 at the same time.

I would definitely support the implementation of a SWCG. I think even with Travertine, people have been successful with the longevity. Again a lot of mix reviews but from a long-term maintenance for chlorination, SWCG is definitely the right product.
Good Luck and keep us posted.

The deck jets are not that expensive and will be built into the wall supports on the back side of the pool. We'll be able to leave them off if we don't like them.

I'm curious about the secondary pump. I read about whisper quiet pumps for water features I guess this is to be able to run them without the noise of the main pump. Does the water bypass the filter for that? We have a booster pump for the hot tub in the plans and a remote controlled 8 speed pump for everything else.

I'm curious about the secondary pump. I read about whisper quiet pumps for water features I guess this is to be able to run them without the noise of the main pump. Does the water bypass the filter for that? We have a booster pump for the hot tub in the plans and a remote controlled 8 speed pump for everything else.
If you put in a pump just for the water feature it will not need to go through the filter or the chlorination system. Since its suction is from the pool and return is also back to the pool, you will be circulating chlorinated water. Just remember if you do not use your water feature for a while, the water will be less chlorinated so just run it occasionally - weekly for example, in the winter -non pool use time.

The deck jets are not that expensive and will be built into the wall supports on the back side of the pool. We'll be able to leave them off if we don't like them.

We had deck jets in our last pool and used them a little. They can cool the water and are a little fun to swim through. In the worst case we felt that we could put water scultures or pots over them and make ad hoc waterfalls or statues spitting water. In our new pool we didnt bother to put any in.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We've been stuck at the rebar phase a few weeks and the Texas snowstorm added to it. I hope to have plumbers this week but all the broken pipes in existing pools may have them elsewhere.

1614099490351.png

Reactions: Nikilyn
The VS FloPro 1.85 HP is fine.

The Truclear system is rated for a 30K pool and should only be used for pools up to around 15K. For a 24K pool it is undersized. You should get the Aquapure 1400 rated for 40K.
I have some questions on this, if I need a new thread let me know.
The specs here say it is rated at 35K Jandy | TruClear Saltwater Chlorinator
but it also has a lower minimum flow rate at 20 GPM vs 30 GPM.

My PB says we will be at around 18K gallons. I would prefer to go with the TruClear because of the lower replacement cost on the cell.
We will have an attached Spa.

I have some questions on this, if I need a new thread let me know.
The specs here say it is rated at 35K Jandy | TruClear Saltwater Chlorinator
but it also has a lower minimum flow rate at 20 GPM vs 30 GPM.

You know what puffery is? Jandy can claim whatever they want. But the science does not lie.

Jandy says the TruClear produces 18 grams per hour, that is 432 grams in 24 hours or .95 /lbs.

Compare that to the Aquapure 1400 that produces 1.25 lbs/24 hours and is rated for a 40,000 gallon pool.

If you need 1.25 lbs for 40,000 gallons then .95 lbs is suitable for 30,000 gallons. Jandy can claim what they want but the math does not work for 35,000 gallons.

And consider that the Pentair IC40 rated for 40,000 gallons puts out 1.4 lbs in 24 hours. Beware of Jandys marketing claims.

My PB says we will be at around 18K gallons. I would prefer to go with the TruClear because of the lower replacement cost on the cell.
We will have an attached Spa.

You get what you pay for. The TruClear will work ok for you with 18,000 gallons. The Aquapure 1400 will work better. And the Aquapure is higher quality in my opinion with less problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: TexasEd

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.