New Pool Heater, what to expect / is something wrong?

swammer3809

Apr 30, 2023
Columbus OH
I’m in my second full year of having a pool. We just had to replace our pool heater due to a leak, although it had a hard time doing anything at all last year anyways. It was on its last leg regardless.

New heater was just installed. Installer said to expect a degree increase every hour, but that has not happened. With my bad experience last year, I am already worried and I just want to know what to expect from it and how it should operate correctly (or if I’m doing anything wrong!) since this should be my first year of having a properly functioning heated pool.
Trying to gauge when the pool will be a swimmable temp or at least how fast it can get there when temps outside allow.

The details:
In ground
10K gallons
Heater is 103K BTU
Heater is a Hayward 5450ti heat pump
Running pump 2700-3000 rpm
Starting pool temp 61 degrees when heater was installed
I set the target temperature to 80 degrees
It was ~65 degrees air temp for about 10 hours following the install
Solar cover is on the pool
No blockage in returns/they feel like they are on full blast or close to it; baskets are clean of debris
Temperature after 10 hours of running heater - 63 degrees.

With weather in the 50-60s upcoming, I’m not expecting to swim for a couple weeks. However, I just want to have confidence that this thing is actually going to work this summer - it should it is brand new! But the temp only rose 2 degrees and couldn’t even reach to match the ambient temperature in 10 hours of running. If it jumped a few degrees more, I would feel good about it and then power it off until temps get warmer. But my test has not given me much confidence!

Am I getting worried over nothing? Or is there a problem?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
65 degree air temp that heater is not going to do much, if anything. If you got even a degree per day I would be surprised. A degree per hour is for a gas heater, not a heat pump. Also if you don't put the solar cover on when the pool is not in use you will not even maintain what that heater puts out in a day. Generally heat pumps are best for in-season use not shoulder months like we are in now. Gas heaters will heat very well in shoulder months.

Our pool sizes are similar, but my heater is 400k BTU, roughly 4x as large as your heater. I get about a degree per hour, so I would assume you would get 1 degree every 4 hours.
That seems in line with what you are experiencing, with the wild card being the air temp and any heat loss.

Our pool sizes are similar, but my heater is 400k BTU, roughly 4x as large as your heater. I get about a degree per hour, so I would assume you would get 1 degree every 4 hours.
That seems in line with what you are experiencing, with the wild card being the air temp and any heat loss.

Your heater is gas, his is a heat pump. Heat pumps are dependant on ambient air temps whereas gas is not.

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.