New Pool has started! Raleigh NC

Problem!! Our pool builder screwed up the steps and tanning ledge.
It looks like the crew who did the rebar made the first step where a measurement line was vs the actual first step line.
This has created a much smaller tanning ledge and the left area of the steps unusable as steps (because it’s too tall).
Can something like this be fixed at this stage?
Will they need to jack hammer it all up and put new rebar etc?
rmo2km.jpg

34etjyc.jpg

so733r.jpg

If you got back to page one, post 16 you will see a pic you took and shared that show there is no rebar for the steps (this is VERY normal) so they should be able to jack hammer them out and redo it. They may have to add rebar to "finish" up the shelf but they may be able to just shoot more gunite to reshape everything. As you can see there are a couple of ways the PB can go about this.

When you talk to him make sure you have a smile on your face even if you are on the phone as it will come through in your voice. A face to face would be better so you both can see what is what.

Now here is something to think about..........your PB may try to get you to keep it like it is by offering you money off. It is up to you what you want done. I just wanted to let you know he may try this so you will be ready with your answer.

Let us know what ends up happening.

Kim:kim:

What a nightmare.
After fixing the steps almost 2 months ago there’s been very little progress.
It doesn’t appear the builder was ever going to consider offering money off. Instead he made my contracted “oversized” steps into standard 12” steps.
They added some rebar and measured so hey could reduce the stair sizes to accommodate for the proper sun shelf and not have to steepen the bottom.
At the time I think it made sense but in retrospect... I want the original oversized steps we had. They would have made a great hang out area.
His sales pitch was that I am getting more pool by having smaller steps.
And since then I’ve been doing a lot of chasing.
Our plumbing isn’t finished. The pool has become a trash pit.
There’s concrete waste everywhere.
There’s about a 1 ton boulder of washout concrete in the area where they need to connect the pool plumbing to the equipment pad.
Electric hasn’t even started. The paver stairs and paver deck hasn’t started.
No low voltage lightin.
No drainage. My existing downspout drain and irrigation in the front yard have all been destroyed. It’s a real mess.
Lots of excuses.
For 5 weeks in a row it’s been a constant stream of “we’re going to get such and such wrapped up this week” to end up having absolutely nothing done.
Supposedly the new project manager starts tomorrow and we’ll get on track.
I’ll believe it when I see it.

Last edited:
That’s terrible [emoji17] I really feel for you. I can see why his solution made sense. I guess he was looking for the easiest way for him to remedy the problem. At the end of the day, you haven’t got what you were contacted to receive. There should definitely be some monetary compensation imo. I do think you will feel better once you see some action on site again. Hopefully this new supervisor should get things moving for you. We are four weeks delayed due to rain. It was horrible looking at the forecast and knowing that there was a good chance no one would show, week after week after week. I guess mine was out of anyone’s control, but still disheartening. Plus, people’s comments... your pool build is dragging on forever... yes, thank you, we know that. Not much t be done. In your case, there has been no excuse and after the dramas you have had, you would think they’d be bending over backwards to finish, and finish properly. I have my fingers crossed for you that things get moving. I can tell you that it will finish and you will love your pool, warts and all... says she who right now, is watching the tilers, thinking I really don’t like the colour of those 3 trav pavers, but they have just stuck them down, so too late. I will love my pool and you will too. Hang in there. Do you have any photos of the redo of the stairs/sunbathing area?

GUrrrrrrrrrr big time! Here is hoping the new person shows up tomorrow with a crew in tow! I would talk to them about the steps. It is in your contract so........push for what you want! Their fault so on them to fix!

Kim (NO cheering on this one :()

Has there been any progress Fooz? Really hope the new supervisor is on to things.

The pool was filled today!
And I am hopeful I can get some advice from the forum!! Would you believe the new supervisor (who was great!) called me this morning to let me know he quit last night! This is a guy with 30 years experience who pushed all of the crews to finish my pool, and he's been butting heads with the guy running this Raleigh office since he started because he's ethical, reasonable and a straight shooter - none of which are qualities of the gentleman I signed with.

There was no shortage of drama but I am so very thankful for David from Florida (the new super who just quit).
My plaster was done yesterday, and the pool filled today - but now that David's quit I have nobody to help me get the pool started.
Do I need to get the pumps on today? Do I let it sit?

I'll be calling the pool builder but... as I've mentioned he is completely unreliable and untrustworthy. I don't believe a word out of his mouth and I doubt he'll be around for a few days as he's out selling more pools that he won't be able to handle.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The pool was filled today!
And I am hopeful I can get some advice from the forum!! Would you believe the new supervisor (who was great!) called me this morning to let me know he quit last night! This is a guy with 30 years experience who pushed all of the crews to finish my pool, and he's been butting heads with the guy running this Raleigh office since he started because he's ethical, reasonable and a straight shooter - none of which are qualities of the gentleman I signed with.

There was no shortage of drama but I am so very thankful for David from Florida (the new super who just quit).
My plaster was done yesterday, and the pool filled today - but now that David's quit I have nobody to help me get the pool started.
Do I need to get the pumps on today? Do I let it sit?

I'll be calling the pool builder but... as I've mentioned he is completely unreliable and untrustworthy. I don't believe a word out of his mouth and I doubt he'll be around for a few days as he's out selling more pools that he won't be able to handle.

I am guessing everyone will chime in to help you (I know nothing!) but I do know you can go to the pool school tab and look under start up instructions. Also we need pics of your pool!!

Great to hear it was completed. I am debating whether or not to have my pool builder do my startup. The TFP gang is a wealth of knowledge.
This is a useful link to get you started.
Start-up Cards - National Plasterers Council

Paddle beat me to it!!! That is the card I was going to share with you! It is IT on plaster start up. You wan the back side of the card. Get that filter going and start brushing!

Thanks Paddle :hug:

Kim:kim:

Hi! It’s so great to hear your pool is finished and that supervisor came through for you. It sounds like he held on to leave until your job was finished. If you have to time you can absolutely do the start up yourself with the help of TFP. Those start up cards have a lot of good information.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.