DFW TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
Wanted to share some pictures with everyone and see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

Pool was completed in July. Had many areas of inconsistent exposed pebble on our pebble tech finish. The pebble tech rep came out with the plaster company and inspected everything. The plaster company agreed to redo everything. Great.

Now, we are in week 3 or 4 and I’m still sweeping daily or every 36 hours. Like the pebble tech start up procedures call for. Well, on day 2 or so, I was sweeping the pool and drug the brush sideways (not the typical up and down motion) and noticed I was able to work off a fair amount of build up on the floor. This cause it to streak a little, but I didn’t think much of it. Figured it was some build up and it would be able to get worked off later with a stiffer brush. Seemed to only be in the deep end.

Well, now this week I have noticed even more areas of discoloration. It’s been very overcast, so I’m able to see things a little better.

Any idea what’s going on here?
All my levels are acceptable and within range of the pebble tech specification for me pebble. 96E040E8-9AAC-4B12-9B37-00F788507246.jpegA7CB0C62-2B75-480E-9BD1-9869FB084970.jpegF345F873-8BCD-4551-BFEB-CC12EC250255.jpeg35B89770-80CA-4F76-B701-E2FA5585F9A8.jpeg

Looks like typical mottling of a blue plaster pool.

Thanks for the info. I’ll have to read all through that. Is there any “easy” fix? Or do I need to fight this with my PB?

That is perfectly normal with that colored aggregate finish. Actually, looks good. PebbleTec calls it highlighting, but everyone else calls it mottling. It's not anything they warrant, as their warranty states that such "highlighting" can be expected.
"This variation in pool shades is not to be considered a failure. These color and shade variations are one of the highlights of the natural pebble pool.".

Reactions: Bperry
Interesting to read that this would be acceptable. I feel like they were willing to redo my entire pool over less discoloration the first go round. Now, this time it looks worse.

Oddly enough, this same plaster company did a neighbors pool 5 houses down a few weeks ago. Different PB. They also had issues with the final color/inconsistency and had it all redone like ours. What are the chances, two pools on the same street having similar issues and both having to be redone. Not sure how my neighbors 2nd pebble job looks. Need to go talk with him. Just kind of odd to me.

The part that really stand out to me are the two big strips 3-4’ wide going down each side.

Last edited:
I'm down here on the coast about 5 hours south of you. They may have initially warranted the lack of pebble exposure, which is an application error. My Tahoe Blue looks about the same, especially in overcast conditions. I will say after several months, it balanced out a little with fading, and, once the August sun hits it, during the day it's hardly noticeable. High noon, all even. If I run the lights in the pool on white, it's all uniform in refraction of color. It's one of those things I don't even pay attention to any longer. It's just part of the character of the pool look.

PB's might sell less darker aggregate finishes if they did, but I think it would be better if they showed some these pictures to customers and explained this when they sold them on it and let the customer know up front to not expect 100% uniformity in color shading on these darker/blueish finishes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.