New pool, first test!

Jun 19, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Finally got he pool done and the filtration system working. It's been running about 5 days now. Still waiting for my test kit (K-2006) to show up but went to a local pool store and got the water tested.

TC 1.2
FC 1.1
pH 7.9
TA 218
CYA 21
CH 327

I'm taking the slow and steady approach about getting the water balanced. Had my IC60 set at 20% bumped it up to 35% that should help the FC. I am adding another 5 pounds of CYA and see where that gets me. I'll add about 2 gallons for muriatic acid over the next 4-5 days to help with pH and TA. Is there anything else i should consider?

If you are starting at a CYA of "21" as tested by the pool store, adding 5 lbs of CYA will take you to 45 (as tested by the pool store).

I would hold off on adding CYA until you get a good test.

Also test your CH.

Yes... your TA is high... but it is only worth targeting if it is contributing to a CSI which would promote scaling.

That high TA will drive up your pH.

If you just manage your pH by adding acid, the TA will come down on it's own, eventually finding an equilibrium.

Driving down your TA just for the sake of hitting the numbers can make the process needlessly complicated.

Also, CYA lowers your PH. I would wait until after adding CYA, then see if your PH needs adjusting. There is no need to speed up the reduction of TA. Once PH hits 7.8, bring it back down to 7.4. Overtime, TA will go down.

Still waiting for my test kit (K-2006) to show up but went to a local pool store and got the water tested.

TC 1.2
FC 1.1
pH 7.9
TA 218
CYA 21

I'm taking the slow and steady approach about getting the water balanced. Had my IC60 set at 20% bumped it up to 35% that should help the FC. I am adding another 5 pounds of CYA and see where that gets me. I'll add about 2 gallons for muriatic acid over the next 4-5 days to help with pH and TA. Is there anything else i should consider?

You should recheck the amount of acid you need. 2 gallons is a LOT. Based on your numbers, I'm showing 60oz (~1/2 gallon) of 31% muriatic acid to get pH from 7.9 to 7.5 or 128oz (1 gallon) of 31% muriatic acid to get pH from 7.9 to about 7.2.
Since you have the test kit on order, add the half gallon of MA to drop your pH. Retest all your numbers when the kit comes in. Adding more CYA will also drop your pH, so I would get CYA in line then you can play with pH and TA if you need to.

Thanks for the advice! I forgot to put the CH (327) level in my post above. I'll add it in now. I added 1/2 gal of MA today and see where everything is at in the next few days. Really wish the TF testing kits were available in Canada! Paid an arm and a leg for the K-2006!

You're gonna need to keep an eye on your pH definately.

With your high TA and... well... not low CH, combine that with a high pH and you're in the scaling range.

I'd be shooting for about 7.2 for pH... though you should be OK up to about 7.5... 7.6.

That will drive down your TA eventually.

Once that gets down, you can relax a bit.

Personally, I still wouldn't target any TA values if you can stay on top of your pH.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
CYA 30

So far I've add 6 pounds of CYA and 1 gallon of MA to reduce pH. If I added another 4 pounds of CYA would I be on the right track?

If you are trying to increase your CYA because you have a SWG, then yes you will need to add more CYA. But that 4 lbs will only add about 20ppm. You can start with that but you'll still have to add more to get up to 70 ppm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.