New pool first test results

jhrrld

Bronze Supporter
Jul 14, 2014
Oologah OK
Been lurking here for a while, invaluable information learned and still learning. Just recently built a new house and a pool at the same time. Pool has been completed for a few weeks now. Received my TF-100 test kit and here are my first results:

FC 0
CC .5
pH 8.2+ (just added 89oz of muriatic acid)
TA 150
CH 275
CYA 0
SALT 3000

Via my control panel the chlorinator is set a 50% and my pump is set to run full speed 6am-4pm and low speed 4:30pm-7:00pm. Need some direction on where to go from here.

Thanks!

Josh

Hi Josh and welcome! :wave: Congrats on the new pool/home. With no CYA, the sun grabs your FC right away. New water has no CYA (stabilizer) and you need some quickly. For now, use the Poolmath calculator to increase the CYA to 30, and get some bleach in there ASAP. Use the bleach to achieve an FC of 2-3 ppm. Tomorrow, once the stabilizer is in the water, increase that to about 5 ppm. With a SWG, we normally suggest a CYA of 70, but because your water has been unprotected for weeks, I'm concerned about algae - even if you can't see it. So I think it's best you take the CYA to 30 first, increase the FC to about 5, and then consider doing an overnight loss test. Pool School - Perform the Overnight FC Loss Test (OCLT)

If you pass the OCLT, then increase the CYA to 70 and your FC should hold much better with the SWG. Also tomorrow, double-check the pH to make sure you got it down into the mid-7 range, or at least under 7.8. Hope that helps, and nice to have you with us.

By the way ....... THANK YOU for being a TFP Supporter! :goodjob:

Battling pH with a new plaster pool is a constant fight huh?
Sure is. That will continue for quite a while. Make sure to follow the notes on that OCLT link above. Don't forget to turn-off the SWG overnight during the OCLT. Get a good nighttime FC reading then try again early in the morning. Good luck!

Since I'm at CYA of 30 I need to aim for a 12ppm shock level even though I'm SWCG?
That's correct. And for now, I'd just leave the SWG off since it's not designed to maintain such an elevated FC level. Just use "regular" bleach. Nothing splashless, or scented. You can use the Poolmath calculator for dosage help. Good luck!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dbtgallery.php

FC 6 (turned down SWG 5%)
CC 0
pH 8.2 (adjusted to 7.2)
TA 70
CH 275
CYA 60
Salt 3200

So since I'm a new plaster pool pool math tells me I need to add 23lbs of calcium chloride. Broadcast in the deep end even with that copious amount needed to raise CH?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.