New Pool, First Test Results With TF-100

drp3434

Apr 8, 2021
Fort Worth, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
New 12,500 gallon plaster pool. Pool has been running for 2 weeks. Been testing with a simple Pentair kit from the PB until I just got the TF-100. Results are below. Would appreciate some thoughts. Thanks in advance!

FC: 1
pH: 7.5
TA: 110
CH: 375
CYA: 20 (however, I put the whole bottle of water in the tube and could still faintly see the black dot)
CC: Didn't test

Add about 20 ppm more of stabilizer and increase the FC right away with liquid chlorine. I'd take the FC to at least 5, maybe even 7-8 ppm to avoid algae. Then balance the FC to the new CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Everything else is fine for now. Congrats on the new pool. :swim:

Add about 20 ppm more of stabilizer and increase the FC right away with liquid chlorine. I'd take the FC to at least 5, maybe even 7-8 ppm to avoid algae. Then balance the FC to the new CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels. Everything else is fine for now. Congrats on the new pool. :swim:
I'm a little slow 🤪 So, the PB left some Regal pool stabilizer granules that state "1 lb of product per 3,000 gallons for initial level of 40 ppm, 1 lb per 4,000 gallons would provide an initial level of 30 ppm."

Would that mean I need to add about 2 lbs?

We use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding" to help with dosage amounts of any chemical. Just better that way. Using that tool, I can confirm that in a 12.5K pool, it would take two pounds of stabilizer to increase the CYA by 20 ppm. We add granular stabilizer via the sock-soaking method. If you aren't familiar with that, let us know.

Reactions: drp3434
Just in case ........

Adding CYA:
To increase CYA via granular stabilizer, place the required amount as calculated by the Poolmath calculator into a white sock and place in the poolside skimmer basket. For those concerned about suction flow to the pump, suspending the sock near a return jet or from a floating device will also suffice. Best never to allow undissolved granules to rest directly against the pool surface. Squeeze the sock periodically to help it dissipate. Once dissolved, consider your CYA adjusted to that programmed (target) level. CYA test readings should show a rise in 24-48 hours, however some pools may experience a longer delay to fully register. Best to confirm final CYA in about 5-7 days before adding any more stabilizer/conditioner.

full

We use the PoolMath APP's "Effects of Adding" to help with dosage amounts of any chemical. Just better that way. Using that tool, I can confirm that in a 12.5K pool, it would take two pounds of stabilizer to increase the CYA by 20 ppm. We add granular stabilizer via the sock-soaking method. If you aren't familiar with that, let us know.
Do I just put it in a regular sock and stick it in the skimmer basket with the sock opening tied off?

What's the best way to add the liquid bleach?
Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bleach should be added to the pool by pouring slowly in front of a return jet with the pump running. You should pour slowly enough that pouring an entire jug takes more than one minute, preferably two minutes. Leave the pump running for at least 30 minutes after adding bleach.
Thank you!

This is my favorite go-to link. Has most of the good stuff in one place.

Would you full retest or adjust assuming CYA is at the proper level based on the added amount?
You can assume the CYA will reach your intended goal if the amount added was correct. Still, it's not a bad idea to retest the CYA in a day or two just to be sure.

So everything is going great so far with managing my levels and water is crystal clear. Readings from this week are below. With seeing no issues with the water or pool surfaces, any real need to lower TA and then raise pH even though TA is outside the recommended level and pH is outside ideal?

FC: 4.5
pH: 7.4
TA: 100
CH: 375
CYA: 40
CC: 0.5

Maintain your FC in the target range for your CYA. Add acid to lower the pH when it reaches 8.

Good job.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.