New pool–Filled April 10th

2 SLOW

Bronze Supporter
Aug 28, 2018
Cypress, TX
Pool school is Friday but I've been testing the water and it seems out of whack so today is my first attempt to adjust it. I think PB has just been adding pucks to the chlorinator for now and adding some MA here and there:

This morning:
FC--.5
CYA-20
TA-100
Ph--7.8
CH--225

I added 3 cups of 31.45% MA, and 1 gallon of bleach. Will test again this evening and re-do CYA test just to make sure it is accurate. If CYA is still at 20 I'll buy the nylon sock and add some stabilizer (I think there might be a couple trichlor pucks int he chlorinator)

Morning edit: Tested just the FC before I ran out the door this morning and it is at 1.5. Testing again when I get home from work.

What is your long-term plan for maintaining chlorine levels? Are you going to try to continue to use trichlor tablets in the feeder? Or switch 2 using liquid chlorine?

How big is your pool? I don't see your signature on my phone if you have one.

Since you are just starting out and your CYA is low, you could continue to use the Trichlor to raise it and the FC levels. They are also acidic so will help keep the pH inline as the pool cures.
Just keep track of how many pucks you use and use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA they are adding.
Once you hit about 50ppm of CYA, you need to stop using the pucks and switch to the bleach.
All the while, using bleach to supplement the pucks to make sure the FC levels are appropriate.

Since you are just starting out and your CYA is low, you could continue to use the Trichlor to raise it and the FC levels. They are also acidic so will help keep the pH inline as the pool cures.
Just keep track of how many pucks you use and use PoolMath to tell you how much CYA they are adding.
Once you hit about 50ppm of CYA, you need to stop using the pucks and switch to the bleach.
All the while, using bleach to supplement the pucks to make sure the FC levels are appropriate.

Thank you, sounds like I can stick with the trichlor pucks for a few more weeks until my CYA gets up the that level (and adding bleach as needed for good FC level). Once CYA hits 50 ppm and I'm just supplementing with bleach and MA to stay in my FC and PH targets, the CYA shouldn't really change much, correct?

Correct. The CYA should be fairly constant, although there is some degradation in the intense sunlight it seems. Maybe 5-10ppm loss in a month.

Don't wait for your CYA test to show 50ppm. Calculate how many pucks you have added and how many more you can add until you hit the 45-50ppm mark.

Correct. The CYA should be fairly constant, although there is some degradation in the intense sunlight it seems. Maybe 5-10ppm loss in a month.

Don't wait for your CYA test to show 50ppm. Calculate how many pucks you have added and how many more you can add until you hit the 45-50ppm mark.

Sounds good, thank you for your help!

Just wanted to update now that I'm starting to get used to the process and see if most of this sounds correct. In the evenings I've been adding about a half gallon of bleach on a regular day and a gallon of bleach on a swim day. And 2-4 cups of MA.

Current reading this evening after a swim:
FC--2.5
CYA-50
TA-90
Ph--7.8
CH--200

Added a cup of MA and I'm waiting a bit to add the gallon of bleach. Just seems like a lot of bleach everyday. Pool is in direct sunlight with no shade.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So a half gallon is 1.5 ppm FC. You need to add 3 ppm FC worth every day. Test and see if that holds your FC levels in the target range.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.