New Pool Fill - Order of Steps to Balance?

cris121

Jun 23, 2019
New York
Bought a house over the winter with an in-ground SWG pool, 23,000 gallons. This spring, it needed a new liner, so I'm basically starting from scratch. The pool just finished filling with tap water, filter is running (DE Filter), salt water chlorinator hasn't been turned on yet.

I have the Taylor test kit and I've been reading up on everything and am reasonably sure what levels I need everything to be at. The thing that I'm getting tripped up on is what order to do things in. Not sure if I'm overcomplicating it or if I am missing something.

Right now, levels are this (I think, first time I've used the test kit):
CC .4ppm
PH 7.6
TA 70 ppm
CYA 0
Salt 0

My question is, how much chlorine do I add, and when? I know how much salt I should need, do I add that first, turn on the swg then add chlorine? Chlorine first? And how much? Feeling totally lost on this part of it. (I know I also need to add CYA)

I feel like I've seen advice that the chlorine level should be right before adding salt, and advice that the salt level should be right before adding chlorine. And is there anything else I'm missing?

Thanks!

Welcome to the forum!
Put 3 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine / plain bleach in the pool now. Use PoolMath for amounts.

Get 40 ppm CYA dissolving using the sock method. I assume you have a SWCG (can you fill out your signature?) so plan to get your CYA to 70 ppm.

Dump your salt in the pool and dissolve, brush, swim, etc to mix it in. Add more liquid chlorine this evening to get back to 3ppm FC.

In the morning, test your salinity (do you have a K1766 test kit?) and start your SWCG. Add enough liquid chlorine to raise your CYA to target range for 70 ppm CYA.

I suggest you read ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Pool School eBook.

Your numbers look great for a fresh fill!

In order: bleach, kids, CYA, salt.

You'll lose all your FC to the sun within an hour until the CYA starts dissolving and working, so don't panic when you retest and find it's all gone. When adding CYA and salt, aim low. Your pool may not be as big as is claimed. If you come up short, it's easy to add more. Removing excess means draining water. You don't want that.

Oh, and welcome :wave:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.