New Pool design fun in North TX

Aug 3, 2017
SOUTHLAKE, TX
Greetings - I'll plan to use this thread for my individual project updates & questions... but will ask in other threads if it seems appropriate as well... and I'll try to post my lessons learned / insights as I go. I'm a "newbie" here but a thorough researcher and somewhat of a perfectionist... we are in process of getting multiple design visits from different pool companies in our DFW area in TX... then will start to narrow down the acceptable contractors until we settle on the one(s) we need... expect to have a design & contract finalized & signed later this fall before the holidays.

Our backyard faces to the SE, so we get lots of morning / mid-day sun... by late afternoon the house starts adding shadow to the backyard which is not a bad orientation I think...

Key pool design elements: free form shape with flagstone / natural grotto & waterfall features, max 5-6' depth for volleyball & exercise laps; tanning ledge, connected 6-person spa.... hoping to choose cooler deck material to minimize burned feet
... Pool uncertainties: chlorine vs. ozone vs. SWG, level of automation in regular chemical balancing & maintenance, value of having a deeper end > 6'??, style & number of lights, deck jet stream features, removable fencing structure, etc... (we do have metal fence around yard but may need to add segments for city code, too...)
Key outdoor living area design goals: extend covered roof area adjacent to back door of house - desire Equinox or similar motorized louvered roof system to enable shaded & dry enjoyment during super hot or rainy weather; adding new deck surface around pool to the house, with outdoor grilling / counter area with small reefer, maybe space for a smoker or "Egg"-type cooker, outdoor dining table area big enough for 8... probably a raised counter / barstools opposite the grilling / cooking area for socializing while cooking
... living area uncertainties: inclusion of a gas or wood firepit?.. adding water "mister"-type systems & fans to help cool the area in hot TX weather?...

r,

Welcome to TFP... A Great resource for all new pool builders with "Uncertainties"..... :drown:

You have picked the right place to get all your questions answered..

Ozone and or UV systems are just a waste of your money... and it can't be used alone anyway, you still have to have chlorine.

I suspect you already know, but just in case... A saltwater pool is a "Chlorine" pool.. it just gets its chlorine from the salt in the water vs. adding chlorine some other way.

Automation helps with pool maintenance and operation, but does not mean you don't have to regularly test and balance your water. Most automated chemical balancing systems are not too well though of here, as they add complexity to the system and are prone to errors unless they are continually calibrated.

Good luck with your pool project... sounds like it will be fun to watch.

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Re: North TX: Starting exciting process of brainstorming, designing and planning new

Welcome to TFP! Oh, with those items listed, there are plenty of folks to give thoughts. I'll just highlight a few and others will chime in I'm sure.

Sanitization method: Easy one there, SWG. Next. For UV on an outdoor pool it's completely useless, the sun provides all you need to perform the oxidation function of spent chlorine and by products.

Automation: You will definitely want it for your setup. But on the chemical automation, really the SWG is all you really need. The automation will control every aspect of your outdoor ecosystem. All equipment should be branded the same with the exception of the heater. If you have natural gas, Raypak heaters are highly recommended for their simplicity of design and longevity.

Check out this thread (sit down first) for a look at some high quality motorized louvers for a roof system. Some good discussion on page 13. https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/69725-New-build-in-South-Texas

Travertine is quite popular for decking in TX and is always comfortable underfoot.

My two cents is to spend some time on landscape design first, without getting immediately caught up in pool features. Consider how you'll move around the yard because a pool fence can have an enormous impact. Where does your service stuff hide away (garbage bins, lawnmower, pool chems and tools, etc.) and how do you get around the yard with those. How does a wet kid desperate to pee get to the toilet. Where does the dog like to run. How do you keep water runoff out of the pool area. And what's your ideal view for looking at the pool and admiring it :) Is that a spot where you like to have a coldie. Congratulations on starting your pool journey, and it's very smart giving yourself plenty of time.

Re: North TX: Starting exciting process of brainstorming, designing and planning new

Thanks - great Equinox pics on that link on p.13... will consider travertine but probably wanting the Kool Deck / Sundek to really keep it comfortable in bare feet here in TX... plus cost would be less I think... we'll have some stone / accent designs to break it up a bit, with darker rock coping I think... so many possibilities still at this stage!

Okay - update here now... got 4 different pool bids, narrowed it down pretty quickly and signed a contract this week. Hoping to start excavation around FEB 2018!

Some updates / changes on our design since my OP:
- Going basic chlorine pool, nothing else fancy. Think it will be reliable and fine for us. Automation with Pentair Intellitouch8 for lights / water features / heater / pool vs. spa modes.
- Depth: Chose to have a deep end (8.5 ft) for slightly cooler temps in summer, more fun play / swimming with kids and a jump rock (no dive board).
- Deck: To save a bit on price going with basic brushed concrete with a light color. Wife wasn't keen on the kooldek stuff and seems like there is a need for occasional maintenance as the surface can flake off over time.
- Pool finish: Going WetEdge Primera Stone (polished smooth) -- think this will be much nicer on feet / skin, too! Still choosing a nice mosaic / glass tile for waterline trim and for lining the steps underwater.
- Steps riser height: Going 8-9" vice the max allowable 12".... one extra step needed but it will be much better I'm sure.
- Equipment: Pentair for most everything, our builder prefers Jandy valves however. Everything will work together for the automation part however. VSP for main pool and a WhisperFlo for the tanning ledge bubblers, grotto waterfall and the weeping wall feature on other end of pool.
- Spa trim.... thinking a curved gunite rim (behind neck as you sit) with a nice tile finish that curves from vertical to horizontal will be good. Flagstone coping will then go around spa outside & flush to tile. Thinking it will look and feel better than having vertical spa wall end with a 90-deg edge of the flagstone coping.
- Equinox Louvered roof -- going 12' x 40' coverage, overlapping over top of existing shingle roof.... excited to have good integral rain runoff away from pool, ability to use the deck / outdoor kitchen & living/dining during adverse weather.
- Grill -- probably a FireMagic Echelon Diamond E790 or E660.... liking idea of the MagicWindow too. Any advice or issues to consider? Will be natural gas. Might want to do the side burner also for side dishes? I'm a bit on the fence about that. Not going to have a sink outdoors however.
- No Green Egg / Smoker shelf. Don't have one yet. If I ever buy a Green Egg or similar, I have enough room to store it on it's own rack / support.
- Reefer - Still researching, will have a space and place one there but don't want to spend thousands of $$ for a full-rated outdoor model.... what else would folks recommend that is more like $400-600 price range and still suitable?

- - - Updated - - -

Some pics of our design for fun...
Pool sketch.jpg my own sketch used for initial ideas / bids
View attachment 71616 Wet Edge Primera Stone - Azure Treasure (not 100% but a finalist in our view)
View attachment 71617 Noble Tile - Twilight Glass - Light blue 1" x 1"

Did I miss mention of any pool lights?

Skimmer location? Don't forget to consider where your breezes normally come from so that your skimmer can use the breezes to help clear the surface of the pool of leaves and such.

On the far right side try to make the cement walkway at least 4' wide... more is always better. Imagine where you'll want to put seating areas and such.

YAY for 8.5' deep pool!!

Maddie :flower:

4/5/2018 - Update 10 days after the DIG day! Will post a time-lapse video if possible. Rainy week last week after the dig so not much is new -- they dug a trench around the house to bring natural gas to the heater and BBQ grill locations. Plumbing should be starting today or tomorrow.

I had to go to a conventional shingled roof structure instead of the Equinox louvered roof -- the neighborhood HOA committee didn't think the metal louvered roof was consistent enough with the rest of neighborhood... oh well. Will start posting more pics as we go, it's going to get busy soon!

Okay - update on tax day 4/17! After 1-2 weeks of rainy weather after the dig, they finally got gas line routed, plumbing and steel rebar and electrical work done. Pressure checks are ongoing, I have been told to expect Gunite day maybe Thurs or Friday this week!

We did go through a late change in pool position just a few days before excavation - after a minor drawing error that put the pool a bit too close to a neighbors fence. Ended up moving it to add some more deck area also which will be nice.

Will post photos / video links as time permits.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ditch dug for natural gas to heater and to outdoor BBQ grill - Dropbox - 2018-04-05 20.04.35.jpg

Plethora of lined up PVC plumbing coming from pool to equipment pad: Dropbox - 2018-04-13 08.11.34.jpg

Last week guys finishing steel rebar placement in deep end: Dropbox - 2018-04-13 08.13.20.jpg

2 days ago: Plumbing connected to equipment on pad: Dropbox - 20180416_194933.jpg
... 3 x WhisperFlo pumps, 1 x cartridge filter, 1 x Pentair heater. PV3 in-floor cleaning heads are to left of heater not really visible.

2 days ago: Shallow end photo with plumbing for jets around the hot-tub... dips down by pool to make room for the water spillway.
Dropbox - 20180416_195712.jpg
.. All the vertical white pipes (or almost all of them) are for the PV3 in-floor cleaning system.. pop-up jets to push debris to filter collector.

2 days ago: Another view of shallow end. 2 more steps down from tanning ledge will go in but be formed purely from gunite according to my contractor... I asked for the extra step (from 3 to 4) to make each step easier with an 8" riser instead of ~12" each step.
Dropbox - 20180416_195747.jpg

A cool video link (5 mins long) done from my own drone last weekend: Yuneec Typhoon H.
Dropbox - YUN00002.mp4

LOL you know how we are about pics/videos?? Well, I enjoyed your pool coverage very much, but also enjoyed the neighbors!

I like your black fencing. I think black is so great as it seems to disappear in view, especially with greenery.

Maddie :flower:

A few more videos - before Gunite still....

So this one was a couple of days ago in sunshine.... shows all the PV3 Paramount in-floor plumbing (vertical pipes) and the steel rebar...
Dropbox - YUN00005.mp4

And the next couple are today's videos - with rain forecasted the workers came & put lots of plastic sheeting down to minimize any problems prior to the big gunite day...

Dropbox - YUN00006.mp4

Dropbox - YUN00007.mp4

Thanks Maddie - and yes I've altered the position / orientation of the pool somewhat as well as added additional concrete / lounge area on the right side as you look at that picture.... since that is the South / SW corner and the last place to see sunshine in the late afternoon evening... the rest of the pool and deck area will be solidly in shade by about 6-7pm in the summertime.

Will post another pic that shows the landscape design from a guy my wife and I both like a lot - but disregard the exact pool location and size of concrete decking area -- that part is still outdated.

- - - Updated - - -

2018-04-22 12.16.46.jpg
This is pretty accurate for our landscape design... the pool itself is actually about 3' left and rotated a bit counter-clockwise from this... - super excited with 4 x windmill palm trees, a bunch of other ornamentals and seasonal colors.... 4-5 large boulders, rock steps for pathways, etc... will have a ryerson steel edging to separate the grass area.

I like the way it should keep grass clippings away from the pool for most part. He is going to build up the back side and have a great layout for taller trees in back, 3-5' high ornamentals at mid-range, and the lower potted color stuff closer to pool. On the right side he will kill all the grass in the corner of the fenceline (whatever is left alive at this point, not much) and that will look amazing! Keep mowers job easier also so they don't have to get around the pool.

- - - Updated - - -

Also - exiting update is that PB informs me that GUNITE day is tomorrow 4/23!!! Will have time-lapse photos and drone in the air!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.