Rockville, MD
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool Universal40
We are getting ready to pour a new concrete deck for our inground pool, and are having trouble figuring out how much space to leave around it for lounge chairs, etc. (We have the chairs yet, so we are trying to leave space for hypothetical furniture!)Cost is an issue - our pool reno is already several thousands over budget, so we can't just say "pour away, make it a parking lot!" :) How much space between the edge of the coping and the deck edge do you folks find is sufficient for a reclined sun lounger while still allowing for a safe path?Jeff

Here is what I do..............Lay out towels the size of the loungers. It might take more than one towel to get the full size. Can you walk between the loungers and pool edge if the decking is ?? big? Can you walk between the loungers without bumping the people as you go by? If you are trying to size for a round table you can use rope for the table and folded towels for the chairs. I have to see it to really know what it is like. Some people use graph paper and cut out for the furniture so that is another idea.

Kim:kim:

MORE than you think! We went 4 feet on the sides, 6 feet on the deep end and 15 feet on the shallow end and could use twice as much space.

I like 6’ in addition to lounge chairs on a well used side of a pool. That leaves room for people to stand and people to walk by in addition to the chairs. Less of course still works too though.

I was quite surprised to learn that most of the loungers are at least 6’ long. I think the average is about 6’5”. So, if you add 4’ (walk way) to the length of the lounger, you would need about 10’ for the lounger and a walk way. One way to reduce that is by orienting loungers diagonally.

As a walkway only, I’d say 4.5’ minimum unless it is the secondary pathway (ex:way to squeeze around far side of pool). As a space for lounge chairs I’d say around 9+/- minimum (6 ish for the chair plus 3 feet to pass. Decking looks deceptively large until you put a few chairs on it. Keep in mind that you may be able to add more deck space to your yard later depending on the location. HOWEVER, pathways around the pool can’t really be widened so they must be done correctly the first time.

MORE than you think! We went 4 feet on the sides, 6 feet on the deep end and 15 feet on the shallow end and could use twice as much space.
If we could afford 30 feet of deck, we wouldn't be agonizing over this decision! :) Unfortunately even 4 on the sides, 6 at the deep and 15 at the shallow is not within our budget. ;) Looking more at 2.5-3' at the deep (as a maintenance path really only, no diving board or entry points there), 3' along the sides flaring out to more at the steps, and then 10-11'+ at the shallow end for sitting. Surrounding the concrete area will be a landscaping strip (maybe 2-3 feet) and then the fence.

If we could afford 30 feet of deck, we wouldn't be agonizing over this decision! :) Unfortunately even 4 on the sides, 6 at the deep and 15 at the shallow is not within our budget. ;) Looking more at 2.5-3' at the deep (as a maintenance path really only, no diving board or entry points there), 3' along the sides flaring out to more at the steps, and then 10-11'+ at the shallow end for sitting. Surrounding the concrete area will be a landscaping strip (maybe 2-3 feet) and then the fence.

I think that would work. With good planning, you could pour more later when money allows.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.