New Pool Construction Project in Houston: 2nd Time is a Charm

I agree with corporate zombie - I must have had the wrong job too when I lived in Houston! :). But, thankfully Jay does have that kind of job and was able to supervise the decking. Even though the panoramic was perspective challenge, the pool is going to look so natural with the shape of it and the gunite work. I can't remember the plaster color choice you made - are you going with a lagoon feel? - Karen

Hey make sure the overfill line doesn't get covered up by the decking guys... mine didnt even know what it was for until I pointed it out and explained its purpose. Then he was like oh yeah and extended it past the decking. Had I not said anything it would have been buried.

15609886380_6193179ba2_c.jpg

Haha you dug it up just to make sure?

No, I'm not that anal. :cool:

But only because I don't have to be. :sleep:

They City of Katy building inspectors :evil: are anal enough for all of us. Right now, every glued drain pipe joint I have in my project (whether it will be buried under concrete or buried under sod) is exposed for the next inspection, which should be on Monday.

Concrete inspection on Monday. Pour decking base on Tuesday or Wednesday. Then the boulder guys come to work their magic on my pool deck surface.

Ok. Back to normal photographs. The house looks "house sized" now!
15609886210_4ac7f458e8_c.jpg

15608900299_650da8d690_c.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I can't remember the plaster color choice you made - are you going with a lagoon feel? - Karen

We're going with Wet Edge Pebble Matrix in one of the darker (darkest?) colors. I can't remember the color name. It will give the water a greenish tint, which will hopefully enhance the lagoon effect.

I don't think my inspector even inspected anything. Every time he came over he just wanted to shoot the sh*t.

Right now, I'm in a community that is just getting built out. The pool inspectors are the same guys that are doing all the house inspections. I see their trucks on my street every day. I've already got 7 inspection stickers on my permit. Hopefully get the 8th on Monday!

Excitedly, as I got home from work, I peeked in the "permit pack" stapled to my back fence looking for a fresh day-glo green tag indicating that my decking passed pre-pour concrete inspection.

Unfortunately, nothing new to report. :sad:

I guess they're not pouring my base deck tomorrow...at least my disappointments with my PB have been few and far in between.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
So what I see you saying Zethacat is to hold back a good amount of money until EVERY thing is fixed/done.

This was not an option for me, as the payment schedule was not negotiable. But I still have faith that we will be adding water in 3 weeks.

In related news, I think I know why the inspectors didn't inspect anything today. And before you ask....no, it's not one of those all-too-frequent municipal government holidays. My concrete guys showed up at dinner to install the pop-up fitting at the curb at the end of my drain line. I didn't realize that this was not yet complete. Hopefully now we can get the inspections going again!

Well I learned something. I would have never thought you would have to pay the last payment BEFORE all of the work was done. I have read many times "last payment due at plaster". I guess I never thought there would be things that still needed to be done. Not a good thing if you have things outstanding.

Thanks for the info.

Kim

Here is how my scenario will play out...at least according to my PB.

Once my decking is finished and everything (except plaster) is complete, my PB and I will walk through the whole project to make sure I'm happy and that they have included everything that I've paid for. Once we're both happy (is this even possible???), they install the plaster, I pay my last bit, then the water starts flowing. (Somewhere in there is yet another city inspection. Although by this point, what can they possibly be looking for? Are the inspectors making sure my CSI is within recommended tolerances and that I don't have too much CYA in the water????)

So far, my experience with my PB has been excellent, so I am cautiously optimistic that this will play out according to Hoyle. Of course, by the time we get to that stage, I will have already paid 95% of the contract, so I don't have leverage of any significance anyway. Here's to good luck, high quality, and sunny optimism! :cheers:

.... the payment at plaster was so small I think PB would have laughed if I threatened to withhold it. Before that payment, I could get an instantaneous response from PB. Now it takes 3 or 4 days to even get an acknowledgement of an e-mail, text or voice mail.

this actually highlights an excellent strategy for owners - if possible, save the majority of your changes and upcharges for the period just prior to plaster so that you actually owe more than the PB planned at plaster - and therefore have more leverage.

Jay - what are you doing with your decking again (as in the type of finish?)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.