kytt26

Oct 23, 2021
Louisiana
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our new pool was plastered 20 days ago. No chemicals (other than acid were added by builder) for 2 weeks after pool was filled and water remained clear. PB turned spa jets on after day 10 and brown dirt/sentiment blew out of jets turning our entire pool/flush spa brown & walked away. I Took water to pool store then added 2 gallons acid, 8lbs granulated shock & 6 lbs stabilizer as they advised. Turned in-line chlorinator off.

Latest reading from store next day after adding chemicals:
TC: 9.5
FC: 7.5
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 120
CH: 125
STA: 60

Our pool is still cloudy and can barely see bottom step in shallow end. We’ve never seen our true plaster color bc chemicals weren’t added until dirt came out of jets. Running pump & filter 24/7, brushing daily and running robot daily x2. Cleaned filter cartridges and ordered Taylor K2005 test kit yesterday. Any advice? We haven’t been able to use our new pool or spa yet.

Attachments

• 0D8E749F-C24D-4A88-9049-9F3746A7295E.jpeg
    0D8E749F-C24D-4A88-9049-9F3746A7295E.jpeg
    455 KB · Views: 29
I am sad we are meeting this way. This can be fixed. You are on your way by running the filter/pump 24/7. I am glad you got your own test kit. I will tell you the Taylor 2005 does not have the "good" chlorine test in it. I suggest you up grade to the Taylor 2006 or at least add in the Chlorine Test (FAS/DPD) . The one you have is a color match test that only goes up to 5 ppm and is more a "do I have chlorine in my water" kind of test.

So let's talk about how we are going to get your water cleared up. First off you need to stop using the chlorine tablets as your CYA (stabilizer) is at 60 if the pool store test is correct. You don't want it to get much higher. Look at this chart to see what I am talking about: FC/CYA Levels With this chart you will see how you need more FC the higher your CYA is. Those tablets/pucks add CYA. See if you can find a good source for Liquid Chlorine. Lowes and Home Depot has it BUT make sure it is current by checking the date code. Walmart carries it as well but they tend to stop carrying it when it is not in season.

-Second I think you are going to need to SLAM your pool. TFP does not like to do it to new plaster but your PB waited too long to add any chemicals so you are on the beginning edge of an algae bloom :( Here is the link to doing a SLAM SLAM Process

Take a pic a day of the same area so you can see the water clear. It should not take you too long as it is not too bad yet.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thanks for the help! This gives me confidence that I have direction on how to move forward to get our new pool swimmable. I’ll start SLAM tonight. I picked up 10% liquid pool chlorine from Lowe’s and I changed my test kit order to the K-2006. It should arrive by end of the week. So I’ll have to add liquid chlorine without testing for this first week. And I’ll quit using the chlorine tablets.

Well done! You are off to a great start now!

Have you see our Pool Math app yet? If not here is a link to it:
PoolMath You will LOVE this when you get your test kit. It does all of the work for you on how much of this and that to your pool.

For the week without the test kit you can add 1/2 gallon of your liquid chlorine to your pool. Keep the filter running 24/7.

Kim:kim:

Reactions: kytt26
Well done! You are off to a great start now!

Have you see our Pool Math app yet? If not here is a link to it:
PoolMath You will LOVE this when you get your test kit. It does all of the work for you on how much of this and that to your pool.

For the week without the test kit you can add 1/2 gallon of your liquid chlorine to your pool. Keep the filter running 24/7.

Kim:kim:
Add 1/2 gallon daily?

Reactions: Newdude
Seems you’re off to a good start on correcting things. Read up on chemical maintenance and maintenance for new plaster, get the poolmath app, and test frequently once you get your new kit. Your pool is absolutely beautiful! Can’t wait to see it clear!

Dan

Add 1/2 gallon daily?
1/2 gallon of 10% should raise your free chlorine by 3 ppm. You will need to add enough daily to make up for chlorine being consumed by algae. Until you get your test kit you'll have to play it by ear, maybe 1ppm per day (just under 1 quart say 20-32 ounces).

@kimkats mentioned SLAM usually not recommended for new pools. Hopefully someone will shed some light on new plaster and high chlorine levels.

When you have time, start reading through pool care basics.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.