New Pool Calcium Hardness and Balancing Question

Aug 14, 2018
Mesa, AZ
Hello,

Just finished plaster a week ago today and finished filling up with water last Tuesday. Below are my current numbers. My question is, should I be adding calcium chloride to get up to the 350 to 450 range or will this come up on its own? I do have it plumbed with soft water, but I have that turned off and have been adding unsoftened water as needed, which hasn't been much. I'm a little concerned with CSI when the pH is adjusted down to 7.4, because that pushes it to -0.65. When the pH is higher CSI gets closer to zero.

FC: 3.0
CC: 0
pH: 7.4
TA: 80
CH: 180
CYA: 40 (Just added some more. Trying to sneak up on it.)
CSI: -0.65
Temp: 59°F

Thanks. When I do the pool math thing, I shoot for 7.4 for my acid additions. Should I be shooting for 7.8 instead? At the end of the 30 days if my CH is still below 350 should I then add Calcium Chloride?

Also, does salt play into the CSI numbers? We won't be adding salt for 6-8 weeks.

Your low water temp is causing a low negative CSI.

You don't want to add CH now because once you add salt and your water warms you will be having a CSI too low. You can only rid of the CH once it's in your pool by draining.

Use PoolMath to play what-if with some different combinations.

PH 7.8, TA 80, CH 180, CYA 40, Salt 0, Temp 59 gives CSI of -0.15. That's about the best you can do on CSI towards positive without warming your water.

Don't raise your CYA to this point. Raising your CYA will take your CSI more negative.

Adding 3000 ppm of salt will take your CSI down to -0.4 with a PH of 7.8.

When your water warms up to 80 you can take your PH down to 7.6.

Too late for the CYA, I added 2lbs. Pool math was saying to add 3lbs, 10 oz, so I'll see where I end up. Is there a reliable way to measure pH above 8 to try and keep the CSI closer to zero?

You need to use a PH meter like Waterproof Pocket pH Tester with 0.1 Resolution - pHep - HI98107 - Hanna Instruments to measure PH above 8.0. And you need to buy calibrating solutions to frequently calibrate the meter - General pH Calibration Bundle, pH 7 10 (Bottles) - HI5710-11PB - Hanna Instruments.

I would follow http://www.nptpool.com/sites/nptpool.com/files/NPC_SwimmingPoolStart-UpProcedures.pdf and not take CH above 200 until after day 28.

Pools have a PH happy zone they like to be stable at. You need to find out where your pools PH likes to live. Trying to force a PH number will be a frustrating battle.

Live with your pool for a while and wait until the water warms up before you put CH in that will be difficult to remove.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.