New pool - builder still controlling water levels - weird?

Mar 20, 2017
Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool has had water since mid-December. It's now mid-March. I've asked a couple of times if they want me to start adjusting the levels and adding chlorine and they have said "no. Not until they finish and I have completed pool school". So for these 3 months, they have done nothing but let the pool get gross and then come shock it about once every two to three weeks. I think they added some stabilizer back in January. But that's it. No chlorine ever in the chlorinator.

Is this weird to anyone else? Shouldn't the pool be getting at LEAST weekly treatments and have auto chlorine by now?

Thanks,

You should claim ownership of your pool.

What are you plans for maintaining the pool?

You should claim ownership of your pool.

What are you plans for maintaining the pool?
The problem is they haven't finished yet! Its been a very disappointing process. I went with a smaller company recommended by a friend because they had a good experience. Very personable. Problem seems to be that the rush of pools being built during covid last year, this company took on more than they could handle. That and their contractors are super busy. At least that's what I was told and adds up. Long long story short they broke ground in late June and it didn't have water until December. And there are still a few items to complete before it's DONE DONE. It's literally less than one day's work and it would be done. But for some reason it just never happens. I still owe them a couple of grand so I have a little leverage. I have written them a couple of harsh emails which gets a little movement but based on their latest online reviews, they are getting many angry emails a week.

If the pool didn't look great and if it wasn't winter, time I'd be super ******.

I admit some of this is easy, but I want a finished product worth the 100k I paid...

- Ordering ledge lounger products (reduced cost). They were going to get me a shipping price so that I could see if it was even a savings.

- Repair cracked and broken coping by tanning ledge. A small crack appeared in January and we had a that crazy Texas cold snap and the crack widened and a chunk fell off

- clean up skimmer hole tape. There is red tape exposed around the edges.

- fix slow leak where booster pump meets return

- provide quote or fix valve that broke during ice storm on autofill at house.

- complete deck staining and paint. Approved work last week so wasn't expecting this done yet.

- fix split stream waterfall issue on East waterfall. does the front cover come off easily to remove pebbles if that's the issue? I didn't want to try it myself for fear of breaking it.

- See if vacuum plug adapter can stick out less from wall. It's extended at least 1.5 inches of threading

- (Seriously this has been an item for 3 months) -Remove construction debris (4 large piles)

- Final city inspection

You should get the final city inspection before you begin using the pool.

You can be waiting a LONG time before that list is 100% complete.

I would just begin doing daily chemical checks with your TF-100 or K-2006C test kits. Add stabilizer, liquid chlorine, and acid as needed. The are ignoring your water chemistry and you are not going to get them to do it any better. So take control of it and do it yourself.

What can the PB do if you are maintaining your pool that he is not?

That list has looked pretty much the same since late December.

I guess my only fear was that they would try to void the warranty.

Why do you not suggest starting to use the chlorine tablet chlorinator yet? They have been against it as well for some reason I don't understand.

Last edited:
That list has looked pretty much the same since late December.

I guess my only fear was that they would try to void the warranty.

Why do you not suggest starting to use the chlorine tablet chlorinator yet? They have been against it as well for some reason I don't understand.

We don't recommend continuous use of trichlor tablets due to the accumulation of CYA.

In your 19,000 gallon pool every 8 oz tablet will give you 2.9 ppm of FC and 1.8 ppm of CYA.

We recommend a maximum of CYA 50 for a regularly chlorinated pool. Tablets will get your CYA to that in 1 to 3 months. Then you will need to be draining significant water from your pool every other month or so to keep your CYA at a manageable level.

Recommended Levels

I suggest you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

I would purchase liquid chlorine, do my own testing and at a minimum keep my FC at a level that keeps algae away. That seems to be what they are doing - every couple of weeks or more is to dump in a bunch of chlorine (shock).
Test your water and post the results just to be clear on what your CYA is as well as CH and TA along with pH.
You need to know what you are dealing with so you can challenge your PB on his process.
I do agree you should press to get the final city inspection done (and whatever items need to be completed to pass that inspection).

Echoing Allen's thoughts -

I would just let them know you'd like to take over water balancing from them, and ask for their approval (in writing - email them) from a warranty perspective. That'd be my first approach. You can get more aggressive if they seem weird about that.

If you take ownership, nothing will go wrong in reality for the warranty to be an issue (not that they might not try to peg something on you though). Only you will take the best control of your pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If their warrenty is dependent on their maintaining the water I would deal with the headache and let them keep maintaining it. Their poor maintanence may have already caused problems you don't want to be on the hook for. Your other option would be to press for them to instruct you in their pool school now so you can take over maintainence with the understanding that the other items on your list must be resolved before they get final payment. The pool should be complete enough to pass a final inspection. If they are overwhelmed they could very easily walk away from your pool and consider the remaining money due a fair price for their freedom.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.