North Dallas Area
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all... I've been lurking around for a while but I still have a ton to learn. Never owned a pool or built one...so this is new territory for me.

A little background...we were thinking about possibly moving because my daughter is only 5 and hasn't started public school yet. She's currently in a private Montessori right now and will continue there next year before she starts 1st grade. We were thinking now would be the time to make a move to maybe get to a better school area and upgrade (maybe one with a pool). We LOVE our current house, the location, etc...so finding a place was going to be a difficult proposition in the first place. We ended up finding a couple that we felt would be worth the move but neither would accept an offer with contingency. And I was not about to put my house on the market without knowing I was going to be able to get something worth it.

So......here we are. We decided to stay put and do a few things around here. Pool and new fence with an electric gate across the driveway. Since we will be here for quite a long time, I feel ok with spending the money. Since our daughter so young, she will get sooo much enjoyment out of it over the years. We met with our first PB this morning. Two more tomorrow and one more next week. I think 4 will give me a pretty good idea of who I want to end up using. I can't wait to see how the plans differ from across the 4 companies, it will be interesting to see.

This first PB was pretty resistant to doing SWG. They have been in business for over 30 years and he said that over the years they have distanced themselves from the SWG because they found them to be too corrosive to the coping, tile, equipment, etc. I have read nothing but suggestions to do SWG here on this forum...so I was frankly a little shocked to hear him say that. He said that they would have no problem doing it, if that is what we really wanted....only that the majority of the pools they do now are not SWG.

Bias against SWG seems to be a local TX thing. SWG is what they blame low quality stone and other problems. We have many TX members with SWG. And eventually many of that PB customers install SWGs on their own I would bet. We have had many discussions here about SWGs and TX. Get the SWG.

Pool pool management, such as pH out of range, too high or too low calcium, etc are more likely to damage pool/equipment than a SWG ever will.

Be aware that pools that do *not* have a SWG actually still do have a good deal of salt in them. The salt is a bi product of every chemical they've added to the pool. As the chemical breaks down most leave some residual salt behind. It builds up over time to be probably half of what you need for a SWG. So obviously salt is *not* the problem!

Get the SWG and choose your decking/coping carefully. Don't go with certain particularly soft stones. You can hardly hurt cement, and it can be designed and stained to look like stone even!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Snikwah
Y'all look!! A new pool for us to build for a 5 yr old! It does not get better than this!!! I bet I can even get some BLING on this one!!

Lets get you started on this. Can you please share where the pool will be going? Make sure you note any set backs and easements that will impact your pool build.

Kim:kim:

The second PB just left and it was the same story...very resistant to doing a SWG. So I think you're right @ajw22...it must be a regional thing here in this area. I told the guy today that I felt like most people that get a salt water pool probably think, or were told, that they were just set it and forget it. Which leads to the problems they see. He seemed to mostly agree. No actual designs from either builder yet. Probably next week. The 3rd PB is coming out later today and 4th next week. I am telling them all roughly the same thing as far as what we want, so it will be interesting to see if one or all of them take some design liberties or if they all just basically look the same. Also, it seems that Pebbletec is the preferred choice around here...as both were pushing that pretty hard. The one today did not mention or ask about price once...which I thought was a little odd. We'll see...

I'm in the Dallas area as well, and we also found all the companies we got quotes from don't include/suggest SWG from the start. They'll do it, but ours basically said 'do it because you like the feel of the salt pool water, not because it's any better than anything else for water maintenance'. Honestly, if not for this site I wouldn't have done a SWG. We just got water in our pool a week ago and haven't be in it yet and don't have the SWG running, but I have no doubt it was a good decision. We also have family with sensitive skin and allergies who have problems in some chlorine pools (although SWG IS a chlorine pool!), so we also felt the softer water might be better for them. Good luck!

Y'all look!! A new pool for us to build for a 5 yr old! It does not get better than this!!! I bet I can even get some BLING on this one!!

Lets get you started on this. Can you please share where the pool will be going? Make sure you note any set backs and easements that will impact your pool build.

Here ya go Kim.. the survey and some photos of the back yard. Bonus shot of said 5 year old. ;)

51E9E37C-A3B7-45E6-803E-9245E38B2928.JPEGCCDF869B-6229-4BB0-9321-51FEE2CCE429.JPEGDJI_0026.JPGIMG_0816.JPGsurvey.jpg

Have you been in a pebble finish pool? There are different size pebble finishes. I personally find the large pebble ones rough on feet and skin and kids can get scraped climbing in and out. So do your due diligence on the type of finish you would like. There are good smooth quartz finishes.

One of the reasons builders push the pebble is it doesn't show mottling as much as plaster finishes do so they get less complaints.

Have you been in a pebble finish pool? There are different size pebble finishes. I personally find the large pebble ones rough on feet and skin and kids can get scraped climbing in and out. So do your due diligence on the type of finish you would like. There are good smooth quartz finishes.

One of the reasons builders push the pebble is it doesn't show mottling as much as plaster finishes do so they get less complaints.
Yeah, I have felt them. They don't bother me too much, but we are leaning towards the Primera Stone in either Azure Treasure or Blue Sky Treasure color.

OH my she is SO cute!!! LOVE that smile!!! This is going to be fun one!!

I have a link for you. It is a start of our attempt to showcase different plaster colors and such. https://www.troublefreepool.com/thr...lor-viewing-room-tfp-member-sound-off.177943/

So what shape of pool are you thinking? Will you be removing the pretty waterfall and pond? Will you be removing that big tree? Do you want to try to keep some grass in the yard?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’m new to this site but my last pool was in Argyle, TX so I have a little experience with SWG pools in N TX. We loved our pool (built by Gohlke Pools in Denton). It was super easy to maintain and we never had issues with the pool itself. The coping material was problematic (choice made by previous owner) but it had nothing to do with the SWG, just poor material for the purpose. We did have issues with any metal furniture or metal fence that was down-wind from the pool. The fence on one side of the house, far from the pool, was never an issue. However, the other side rotted out completely and it was a heavy gauge metal. All of my good furniture has been pitted or the finish removed as well. I have been at my new non-SWG pool for two years with none of those issues so far. Just something to consider. 43CC26A6-BE9D-4FB3-BC83-2C3D349B158A.jpeg

OH my she is SO cute!!! LOVE that smile!!! This is going to be fun one!!

I have a link for you. It is a start of our attempt to showcase different plaster colors and such. Pool Finish and Color Viewing Room...TFP Member Sound Off

So what shape of pool are you thinking? Will you be removing the pretty waterfall and pond? Will you be removing that big tree? Do you want to try to keep some grass in the yard?

Thank you =)

It's pretty difficult to judge colors on the computer, so I am trying not to pick one based on that. everyone's camera, lighting, is different. We want a lighter color of blue, not dark blue at all.

The shape will be geometric. My wife wanted free form at first, but she's since changed her mind. The existing patio is a rectangle, so the pool will kind of mimic that. Definitely want to keep the swing set and all the grass on the side. Would also like to keep that big red oak in the back corner, as it provides a lot of shade in the late afternoon/early evening. It will be a pain, I'm sure...so time will tell. lol
The rest of the landscaping in the back of the yard is most likely toast...which is fine. In the center of the yard, that rear landscaping area takes up over 10' of space. So there's a lot of space there that is unused right now. Can't wait to see the designs the PB come up with.

Also wanted to mention that the fence will be replaced at the same time. The fence along the driveway will be remove and we are going to put a sliding gate across the driveway to enclose the whole area.

Copy the guys pool right next to you (just mirror the plan, already approved!)....that swing set will never get used once the pool is in - chuck it...
:oops: you clearly do not know my daughter. She would swing all day long if you let her. The pool will eat into the swing time for sure...but it will still get enough use to keep. ;)

Oh.. and @kimkats the pond will be removed. I, for one, will not mourn it's passing... that stupid thing is pretty to look at, but it's almost as much work as a pool. But I can't even get in it. :LOL:

I’m new to this site but my last pool was in Argyle, TX so I have a little experience with SWG pools in N TX. We loved our pool (built by Gohlke Pools in Denton). It was super easy to maintain and we never had issues with the pool itself. The coping material was problematic (choice made by previous owner) but it had nothing to do with the SWG, just poor material for the purpose. We did have issues with any metal furniture or metal fence that was down-wind from the pool. The fence on one side of the house, far from the pool, was never an issue. However, the other side rotted out completely and it was a heavy gauge metal. All of my good furniture has been pitted or the finish removed as well. I have been at my new non-SWG pool for two years with none of those issues so far. Just something to consider.
Interesting... anyone else have this experience? Who built your new pool BTW?

Reactions: Dari
Interesting... anyone else have this experience? Who built your new pool BTW?
We moved to Tulsa and our pool was built by the previous owner. I have a friend who built a pool in Murphy, TX and I can get that builder info for you if that’s something you might be interested in. I second your thoughts about the pond being as much work as the pool. Our Argyle house had a 3500 gal gunite koi pond just behind the pool. It was a beast to maintain...and I actually did have to get in it to replace a spa lamp that had gone bad. We drained it to about 3 ft deep and I jumped in and prayed the fish and whatever else lived in that thing stayed away long enough for the repair. :sick:

Removing that fence will open up the area. Your little could play on the driveway that way! Chalk art, roller skates, etc. I do worry about someone pulling in while a child is in the yard though. (YES I am a worry wort about littles)

Removing that fence will open up the area. Your little could play on the driveway that way! Chalk art, roller skates, etc. I do worry about someone pulling in while a child is in the yard though. (YES I am a worry wort about littles)

I agree.. it will be nice to have it gone. I've wanted to do it with the sliding gate since we moved in here back in 2012. (y)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.