New Pool Build with New Pool Owners (concrete done, NOT IMPRESSED!)

JHUB

Feb 16, 2021
San Diego
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi All,
I am new to owning a pools and of course have never built one before but here I am. I know nothing about the construction process of building a pool but have been following along on this forum for a few days now reading all the comments and suggestions on the beautiful new pools on here. So naturally I would love everyone's input on my pool and I will update this as I move through the process.
As of now we have only just signed the contract and we are waiting for permits. We hope to start digging in a few weeks
Below are the specs as well as some drawings I have done on how I would like the pool to look, later I will post some photos of the area where the pool will be going. We do not have a lot of space to use for the pool because we are on septic and we really only want a small pool and spa. The spa is off to the side with a dam wall and there will be a Baja Shelf 12'x5' on one end of the pool.
Pool Specs:
Pool Dimensions 12'x24' UPDATE : 12'X26'
Pool Perimeter 72 ft
Max Depth 6ft
Minimum Depth 3'6"
Water Surface Area 288 sq ft
Gallons ~11260
Pool finish Quartzscapes - St. Martin Shade
Spa Specs:
Spa Dimensions 5'x8'
6 Standard Hydrotherapy Jets
14" Concrete cantilever
4- button spa controller
Pool Equipment:
Pentair Intelliflo VSF Variable Speed
Pentair 100 sq. ft. Quad Filter UPDATE: Cartridge Filter
Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU
Rebel Suction cleaner
Easy Touch 8 UPDATE: Pentair IntelliCenter
Pentair Intellichlor - IC40 Salt
1 - White 500 W Light UPDATE: 4 X Jandy Watercolors
pool.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Nikilyn
Hi All,
I am new to owning a pools and of course have never built one before but here I am. I know nothing about the construction process of building a pool but have been following along on this forum for a few days now reading all the comments and suggestions on the beautiful new pools on here. So naturally I would love everyone's input on my pool and I will update this as I move through the process.
As of now we have only just signed the contract and we are waiting for permits. We hope to start digging in a few weeks
Below are the specs as well as some drawings I have done on how I would like the pool to look, later I will post some photos of the area where the pool will be going. We do not have a lot of space to use for the pool because we are on septic and we really only want a small pool and spa. The spa is off to the side with a dam wall and there will be a Baja Shelf 12'x5' on one end of the pool.
Pool Specs:
Pool Dimensions 12'x24'
Pool Perimeter 72 ft
Max Depth 6ft
Minimum Depth 3'6"
Water Surface Area 288 sq ft
Gallons ~10260
Pool finish Quartzscapes - St. Martin Shade
Spa Specs:
Spa Dimensions 5'x8'
6 Standard Hydrotherapy Jets
1 - 100w light
14" Concrete cantilever
4- button spa controller
Pool Equipment:
Pentair Intelliflo VSF Variable Speed
Pentair 100 sq. ft. Quad Filter
Pentair MasterTemp 400K BTU
Rebel Suction cleaner
Easy Touch 8
Pentair Intellichlor - IC40 Salt
1 - White 500 W Light
View attachment 176177
Hi! I'm new as well, our hole is dug and rebar is in. I just wanted to post and say I love your pool design!

Reactions: JHUB
Welcome to the forum.

Realize that the Easytouch 8 is old technology. Works, but is not easily upgraded, etc. Intellicenter is the newest automation from Pentair.

Thank you JenniferMarie90!
Thank you mknauss, I saw you mention that in another post and I started researching the Intellicenter I will ask my PB about this, this is the exact type of info I was looking for from this site!

J,

Why are you getting a DE filter? I used to like DE filters until I built my pool, which has a large cartridge filter... It did not take me long to realize that, for me, Cartridge filters are much better. No multiport valve to leak or stick and no DE powder to fool with. Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing and simple to maintain. I could go a whole year between cleanings, but normally clean the cartridges once in the Spring and again in the Fall.

If you go with the EasyTouch and want to control things with your phone or PC, you will need an add-on system called ScreenLogic. I have this and it works great. That said, if I were building a new pool today, I would go with the new IntelliCenter package that comes with an internal salt cell power supply, an IC40 cell, can two valve actuators.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Baja/Sun Shelf Question:
So our PB has informed has that he does not like to make the water depth on the baja shelf shallower than 9.5", his reasoning is because the light on the shelf is then too close to the floor and ascents all the imperfections of the pool floor finish.
The problem we are having with that is #1 we were planning to have a ledge lounger on this shelf and the recommended depth of the water needs to be 0-9" for there standard lounger. Our PB informed us we could get a deep water lounger which we looked into. But these loungers do not have the same shape and are actually a little longer. Long story short we decided we will just not have a lounger in there and get used to the pool first then decide what we will do.
Now this brings me to the second part of the question, with 9.5" water depth + 3" water to bottom of coping distance + 3" coping thickness it will give us a step down into the pool of 15.5". This seems to me like a big step! is this normal? I have seen some shelfs have a step in the corner is this what we have to do? Are there any other options our shelf size is 12'x5'.
Thank you all!

J,

Why are you getting a DE filter? I used to like DE filters until I built my pool, which has a large cartridge filter... It did not take me long to realize that, for me, Cartridge filters are much better. No multiport valve to leak or stick and no DE powder to fool with. Cartridge filters have dirt simple plumbing and simple to maintain. I could go a whole year between cleanings, but normally clean the cartridges once in the Spring and again in the Fall.

If you go with the EasyTouch and want to control things with your phone or PC, you will need an add-on system called ScreenLogic. I have this and it works great. That said, if I were building a new pool today, I would go with the new IntelliCenter package that comes with an internal salt cell power supply, an IC40 cell, can two valve actuators.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim,
I guess I thought I was getting a cartridge filter but you are right looks like he spec'd a DE filter I will inquire about this as well, I will also push for the Intellicenter as even though we have a pretty simple pool/spa setup (no bubblers, no water features, etc) If I am building a pool I would like to have the latest tech.

J

Ok as promised I have some "before" photos are where the pool will be going, we actually used to have a few trees where this pool will be that we had to cut down last weekend to prepare for pool, so its looking pretty bare right now. As you can see my home is sort of Spanish/Mediterranean and hoping to make the pool fit in with that.
All the deck will be removed as well as all brick and concrete, also the Rock will go :(

Attachments

• before 3.jpg
    before 3.jpg
    850.3 KB · Views: 66
  • before1 (2).jpg
    before1 (2).jpg
    717.8 KB · Views: 65
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    639 KB · Views: 64
  • before4.jpg
    before4.jpg
    868.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Love
Reactions: Newdude
One more Photo, here is a drone shot I took giving an aerial view of backyard, I overlaid images of where the pool will go and additional grass/concrete.
drone shot.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also just saw a 4 button Spa Controller. Drop that. They are not robust and fail early. Just use an old phone or tablet for your wifi connectivity to your Intellicenter.

Question for others putting in a pool with Pentair Automation, I am trying to switch my automation equipment from Easy Touch 8 to intellicenter, thanks to the wisdom on this site, but my PB is telling me you cannot buy the intellicenter anywhere, it is sold out due to manufacturing delays because of Covid. Does anyone know where one can be found?

J,

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thank you Jim after talking with PB we both agreed cartridge would be better!

J,

This link is the same site as Marty's link... IntelliCenter Complete Systems

I looked through the whole list of different IntelliCenters and only a couple show in stock.. Most are out of stock, so at least your pool builder seems to be telling you the truth.

I have the EasyTouch with ScreenLogic.. It works great. If you can't get the new IntelliCenter, which is better, I would go with the EasyTouch...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.