New pool build - Updates to follow - NY

twotrees

Jun 6, 2022
NYC
Hello all. Thanks for this forum. I decided to join to share my experience along the way. Also to get some feedback.

Thank you.

I had a 40x20, Gunite Pool prior. It was older and had cracks, bought the house with it. It did not have a heater nor a spa. We decided it was time to demo it and center it with our house.

We are building a 55x25 pool with a 9x12 raised spa. 10 ft sun ledge, stadium seating, and a swim out bench the full length of the deep end.

The 9x12 spa is raised 18" and flows into the main pool, so need to make sure I have a pump that can push the flow the full 12 feet over.

As of now we demoed out the old pool and dug out the new pool. We are up to doing the rough plumbing and just passed the rebar inspection today.

I am just torn between Jandy and Pentair. This is also my equipment list based on my setup I was thinking out. Any insight would be amazing. How is the automation?

Please let me know any feedback you think?

1. Swimming Pool
  1. Pentair FNSP 60 DE Filter (pool & spa)
  2. Pentair WhisperFlo 3hp or IntelliFlo variable speed circulation pump
  3. Pentair MasterTemp 400k BTU heater (pool & spa)
  4. Pentair IntelliBrite low voltage LED light (four or five) with a 300w transformer (p/n 619963)
  5. Pentair BioShield UV system and IntelliChlor Salt Generator (pool & spa)
  6. Pentair AutoFill
  1. Spa
    1. Pentair WhisperFlo 3hp or IntelliFlo variable speed pump for circulation
    2. Pentair WhisperFlo 3hp or IntelliFlo variable speed pump for hydrotherapy
    3. Silencer 2 hp blower for bubbles (Which brand?)
    4. Pentair IntelliCenter or EasyTouch 8 with Screen Logic to control the pool and spa

Hey there y'all :) Welcome to Trouble Free Pools. Where abouts on LI? I've got Oyster Bay roots myself.

I think more people here use Pentair than Jandy, but both are fine. Jandy can be a bit annoying in that you can't buy or install any of their products yourself. You have to go thru a Jandy builder.

If you ever experienced algae in your previous pool, be aware that a DE filter can be a nuisance if you have algae. Cartridge filters and sand filters are a bit easier in that regard.
Skip the UV system entirely, they're worthless....but the salt systems by Pentair are great.
A package deal with Pentair automation, pump and salt cell saves you money, I believe? @Jimrahbe is that correct?

Maddie ☮️

Long,

I am a Pentair kind of guy, but either Pentair or Jandy will work just fine.

I would go with a Quad DE cartridge filter over the old FNS filter. The bigger the filter the better.

I would never install single speed pump.

IntelliFlo pumps are the "Gold Standard" of pool pumps. Unfortunately, that is why they are all out of stock due to our logistical issues.

I would never install a UV system. All magic, but no Rabbit.

You have a large pool, so make sure any saltwater system is rated for 2 x the volume of water in your pool.

Normally, Pentair offers a package deal for three or more pieces of equipment, that includes a 3-year warranty.

I have the EasyTouch plus ScreenLogic and love it. But... if I were to build a new pool today, it would have the new and better IntelliCenter.

Again, good luck finding the equipment due to the stocking issues.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm also a Pentair kind of guy, love my Intellicenter, you will too if you go with that. Hayward, and even Jandy are also great equipment for a pool, these are the top brands and a lot of pools are equiped with these and work very well.

Pentair IntelliBrite low voltage LED light (four or five)
You probably would want to look at the Microbrites if you are going with Pentair equipment. Newer light, easy replacement when (not if, all lights fail eventually) you need to replace them.

Pentair BioShield UV system and IntelliChlor Salt
Bioshield NO and salt yes!

Pentair WhisperFlo 3hp or IntelliFlo variable speed
As Jim points out, Intelliflo all the way if you can get it. Never a single speed, for your main pump.

I think more people here use Pentair than Jandy, but both are fine. Jandy can be a bit annoying in that you can't buy or install any of their products yourself. You have to go thru a Jandy builder.
Actually, Pentair also went this route as well a couple years ago: Pool Product Warranty Information. Pay close attention to their note relative to a "qualified installer." I believe Hayward is the only big manufacturer that will honor the full warranty on an owner install these days.

Our PB was a Jandy/Polaris dealer, so that's what I ended up with, and I really had no strong preference either way. For me, it will only be an issue when I have to replace equipment, as it would have been nice to do it myself and save some money.

Thank you so much. I promise some pictures tonight. I'm right near Oyster Bay, actually Brookville area.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm finding this filter to be in stock from my local supplier; would this be big enough for my pool?

Pentair Clean and Clear Plus Cartridge Pool Filter - 520 Sq. Ft.​

Would that size be enough? The smaller sizes are not in stock. This seems like the biggest pentair sells, unless I am in the wrong area?

The speed pumps; I am finding are:

Pentair IntelliFlo Variable Speed Pump 3 HP 230v​

Are these good?

The UV system, OK taken that out. I noted your rec on the lights, will try to look. The lights and automation panel seem hard to get, so I am on the look out.

two,

You said you wanted a DE filter. The CCP-520 is not a DE filter, it is a large cartridge filter.

Cartridge filters cannot be backwashed. I have one, and it works great for me, but my pool is never closed. In your location you will be closing for the winter each year, so you might need the ability to backwash.

What is the actual PN of the IntelliFlo that you are look at? It makes a difference. You want to make sure that you do not get the SVRS option or the i1 or 12 models.. The standard VS or VSF models are great!!

Thanks,

Jim R.

I live a little north of you and have a CCP-420 in what appears to be a smaller pool than yours. Pool builder was like “you should do sand!” I was like “What is backwash and why would I do that every week?” The 420 is plenty big for me. My pressure never changes and I clean it only once per season right before close, giving me May 1 - Oct 1 with absolutely no regard to my filter.

I really like the Pentair integrated system. I don’t have a spa but I can control everything really easily and can’t say anything bad about the system and its parts. VSF runs 24/7 for me at less power than 2 80 watt light bulbs; IntelliFlo is great.

My only gripe about Pentair is the IntelliBrites, but it doesn’t seem like the industry can figure out how to make quality, feature rich, underwater electronics (lights or robots). My red disappeared, so I basically have blue to green colors, no red or purple.

Living up here with a solar cover I hardly ever have to adjust water level, so I think the auto leveler is a luxury.

You will get a bunch of different opinions (except on UV, you’ll get unanimous opinion against it here). But know that whatever you do it looks like you’re on the path to having an awesome backyard!

Last edited:
two,

You said you wanted a DE filter. The CCP-520 is not a DE filter, it is a large cartridge filter.

Cartridge filters cannot be backwashed. I have one, and it works great for me, but my pool is never closed. In your location you will be closing for the winter each year, so you might need the ability to backwash.

What is the actual PN of the IntelliFlo that you are look at? It makes a difference. You want to make sure that you do not get the SVRS option or the i1 or 12 models.. The standard VS or VSF models are great!!

Thanks,

Jim R.
Thanks, Jim:

Part # is:
  • Pentair Pool Products Item Number: 011056
So; what do you recommend, I really want a filter that will keep the pool clean and oversized. I'm seeing a lot of people use CCP-520, my old chlorine pool had a DE filter, but a lot of people are telling me cartridge. If I go with the #520, will that handle my size pool and spa?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks, Jim:

Part # is:
  • Pentair Pool Products Item Number: 011056
So; what do you recommend, I really want a filter that will keep the pool clean and oversized. I'm seeing a lot of people use CCP-520, my old chlorine pool had a DE filter, but a lot of people are telling me cartridge. If I go with the #520, will that handle my size pool and spa?
Following on Pump to confirm.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.