New Pool Build Suggestions- Charlotte, NC

Sep 17, 2010
Charlotte, NC
So its finally going to take the plunge.. and get a pool built, would love to get any input.

Still getting quotes but this seems to be our key takeaways so far of what we want.

The Pool Specs are as follows:
30'x16' Geometric with Spa
Spa with LED Light
399K BTU Heater,
6 Jets included
6" Band of Water Line Tile
2 Jandy LED Pool Lights
Travertine Coping
PebbleSheen Big Surf
Tanning Ledge 16' DeepEnd Bench
8' Bench by Spa
2 Main Drains
2 Return Lines
2 Skimmers
All Pool Plumbing 2" Schedule 40 PVC
All Electrical Bonding and Hook-Ups
Lifetime Warranty on Concrete Shel

Equipment:
Jandy Controller RS6 Wireless
I-AquaLink
Jandy 2H.P. Pump
Jandy 1.5. Air Blower
Jandy JXi™ Pool & Spa Heater (Should I go with a Aquacal Electric?)
TruClear® Saltwater Chlorinator

Decking:
Brushed Concrete
Thinking of reducing decking around pool to about 1'

Pool2.jpg

Last edited:
PoolPunisher- I think you have a good start there but.... you need more returns on a pool that large. 4 at least, IMO.
I'd also ask for all plumbing to be home runned back to the equipment pad individually.
Jandy valves on each line.

Got any depths planned??

....and most of all- No one I know here would suggest only 1' of deck around the pool. 4' is suggested minimum here because you want to allow for two people to pass or walk together. You also don't want to be fighting the grass clippings into the pool as that's a mess to deal with (both to look at, and chemically tragic if you've fertilized the grass).

I'm not up on automation so I'll invite my fave pro guy in here to look==> Yooohoo! @Jimrahbe

Keep us posted please. Pool looks nice!

*** Edit - left out an important word added in bold***

Pool,

Nice pool!

I'd ask the builder for quotes using Pentair and/or Hayward equipment. My preference is Pentair but Hayward makes good equipment too. Jandy has very restrictive warranty and precludes warranty for any DIY or online parts purchase in the future after your PB warranty expires. Pentair Intellicenter automation is the best on the market. It costs more up front but is designed to easily add features in the future. A large pool like yours would be a good application. Since it's new you may have a little more trouble finding qualified installers though. Pentair and Hayward both make a line that's equivalent to the Jandy that you have. I've had Jandy RS and Intellicenter and if I was building a new large pool I'd definitely get the Intellicenter. Pentair's variable speed pumps also seem to be favored by most experts on here. They can be expensive to repair/replace so for this and the automation my preference goes to Pentair. I think the heaters are about the same build quality for all manufacturers. Regardless of brand, the devil's in the details for the salt system. TFP recommends it has 2x the capacity of your pool. I'm not sure this is possible with the Jandy line. Choice of heat pump or gas heater depends a lot on your preferences and how you use the pool. Heat pump is the lowest operating cost but more expensive up front and it heats much more slowly. If you use it for your spa only it can still heat the smaller volume quick enough to work. If you use your pool a lot and keep it pretty close to temperature and especially if you have a cover it can be a very effective way to go but it doesn't work well in lower temperatures. For me, we use the pool year round and rarely swim less than 3 times per week. We also have a good solar system with a lot of sun year round so we just top off with gas heat in the winter. The right choice for you depends greatly on what your pool habits will be.

Please do keep us posted on the build and I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Last edited:
P,

Unless you plan to have all artificial turf, going with only 1' of decking is not a good idea..

Two returns is ridicules .. You need 4 or more.. basically at least one on each wall.. The idea is to make the water in the pool swirl like a flushing toilet bowl, but of course very slowly.. This will allow for better skimming.

I am not a Jandy guy, but the system in your list should work fine. You did not list the amount of water that will be in your pool, but your SWCG must be at least 2 X the volume of your pool.. So if you have a 20K pool you need a cell that is rated for 40K. This is because salt cells are rated when running at 100% and 24/7..

Your equipment list does not make it clear if the 2 HP pump is a Variable Speed pump or not.. If you have a SWCG, then having a VS pump is almost a requirement. And.. the bigger the pump the better, as you can run it slower and still move the same amount of water.

I have stamped concrete and wished I would have gone with the brushed concrete,

Thanks,

Jim R.

Updates: 1590752498071.png
We have locked down a PB, and we have made the following changes:
added a return to each wall like suggested, and kept the 2 skimmer baskets.
They also switched out the 2 LED lights for 6 Jandy Hydro - Cool lights (1 spa, 1 tanning ledge, rest in pool)
The official stats now are:
17ft x 30.2ft
depth: 3.6 to 6ft
swimout 17ft by 8 ft
tanning ledge 17 ft by 2ft
6 jet spa
est gallons 11,000
Jandy Fusion Salt
Jandy 2.78 HP Variable Speed Pump
Jandy 2 HP Air Blower
Jandy RS6 + qua Link
Raypak 399K Gas Heater

A few notes...

Good choice on the Raypak heater. Make sure to get the cupro-nickel optional heat exchanger. It lasts longer with SWG pools.
You don't want the Jandy Salt Fusion Sanitizer - FSOFT1400. It includes a mineral system. You don't want to introduce minerals into your pool. See this... Non-Recommended Pool Chemicals - Trouble Free Pool
You want the Jandy TruClear SWG instead. No minerals and rated for 35K gallons. You want roughly double your pool size to you don't have to run your pump all day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
That's a good size filter for your pool. It is nicely oversized. You may need to clean it once during the season (maybe not) and at the end. If you use hairnets on your skimmers, or at least for the pollen season (or all season if you have swimming dogs) then you should make it all season.

Look like good choices to me other than the Jandy fusion soft chlorinator. You can just run it without the mineral cartridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.