New pool build - placement tips?

FuturePoolOwner

Sep 22, 2022
New Jersey, United States
40' x 20' x 32' L-shaped vinyl liner build, coming next year

Any tips for placement? I took cut and paste a pool with a similar design to how mine will be and put it on my house's satellite image to scale

Option A:
-Centered close to centered with back of house there are steps (marked in pink/red) from the back deck that would lead to edge of pool (covered by tree on satellite image).
-This would divide my yard into 2 green spaces; The bottom 75 feet from edge of pool to neighbor of south would be empty space. Landscape designer said this is useless space that won't be used.

1670444042849.png

Option B:
-Place in corner of my lot
-This would leave a large continuous open yard on top opening to the patio
-This was favored by landscape designer as it would leave my yard open for majority of year when pool not used.
-Pool is in its separate zone.
-Attached deck to house is a separate entertaining space
-Biggest downside is that mid-day sun swings across from bottom so I would get shade from the bottom row of trees
1670443866779.png

This would divide my yard into 2 green spaces; The bottom 75 feet from edge of pool to neighbor of south would be empty space. Landscape designer said this is useless space that won't be used
Agree 100%

I don't like either option. I'd want to see the pool but doing so ruins the flow of the yard.

So those trees/bushes have to go and you can pull the pool closer to the house, allowing passage to thr rest of the yard behind the pool for animals, kids or riding lawnmowers. I'd also change the side of the L. This of course isn't to scale and I wouldn't go that close towards the house, but you'll see what I mean.

Screenshot_20221207-154308_Chrome.jpg

Agree 100%

I don't like either option. I'd want to see the pool but doing so ruins the flow of the yard.

So those trees/bushes have to go and you can pull the pool closer to the house, allowing passage to thr rest of the yard behind the pool for animals, kids or riding lawnmowers. I'd also change the side of the L. This of course isn't to scale and I wouldn't go that close towards the house, but you'll see what I mean.

View attachment 464689
For the left edge of property line, there is about 44 feet of space between property line and edge of pool with about 15 feet of lawn space between edge of trees and where pool pato starts.

I was planning to keep this configuration since the short L side is where shallow end is where I want most of patio space.

Yeah I wanted to be able to see pool from my house patio or windows.

Reactions: Newdude
I want more privacy at the pool and not have it near the driveway. I would tuck the pool up to the upper left of the house where the flow of the deck leads to the pool area.

Set the leg of the L hanging down aligned with the deck and you have a natural flow to the pool and the South lawn area by the driveway.

I don't see why the landscape designer says that South area will be useless space as I see it being the main seating area around the pool.

Pool placement.png

I am in to see what you end up with! Saying that I like the set up Dude drew up. Gets a great pool AND yard!

I LOVE a L shaped pool. To me they are the best of both worlds! Foot part for shallow end=all kinds of pool game fun! The leg part is for diving and lap swimming!

Reactions: PoolStored
*for the record.

I've yet to see one that wasn't spectacular. In either style or placement. 🤷‍♂️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.