New Pool Build Los Angeles

Hey TFP'ers,

Not much has been happening on my pool build until today. Coping was installed, and that is one step closer to completion. The yard needs to be graded before they can build the fire feature that is to be attached to the spa. They are supposed to grade the yard at some point this week, and then the masons can come back and install the fire feature. I was told they will also apply the waterproofing and then the mortar bed, so I don't expect my tile to be installed until sometime next week. So, in the interim, I will keep myself entertained, looking at everyone else's build, and absorbing as my knowledge as I can in anticipation of my start-up. I've also included the requisite pictures of the installed coping and the premiere pictures of my glass tile choice, all the way from Florida. :cool:

(I was concerned about the grout color being much darker than the pre-cast coping, but the masons assured me it would lighten up to the color of the coping.)

IMG_0020.jpg
IMG_0024.jpg
IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0030.jpg

The tile does have a mesh-backing (but I got it through NPT, so I am not too concerned). It is 100% exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:

View attachment 66922View attachment 66923

The tile does have a mesh-backing (but I got it through NPT, so I am not too concerned). It is 100% exactly what I was looking for. :cheers:

The coping looks good.

What's the name of the Tile?

It looks like Lightwaves. But it's a color which I've not seen here (So Cal).

It is a beautiful tile. We couldn't use it (Lightwaves) because NPT did not have the adequate quantity.

You may want to seal the tile near the spa spillover walls. It has an even surface which will make it harder to clean.

I see in your signature that it says your tile is Sunstone-Lagoon, but i cannot find it online. Is that what kind it is? Looks more like arctic lagoon.

Hi TampaTommy,

Yes, that is the name. I first saw this tile in Gresh1003's build. It is available through NPT (through their SCP distributor). Their catalog # is RHI-37-1066. There is also a 1x2, which is RHI-37-1067. It is my understanding that the Arctic series replaced the Sunstone Series, which is why you can't find it online. But it is still available and you can get it through their distributor. You just have to ask for it.

The coping looks good.

What's the name of the Tile?

It looks like Lightwaves. But it's a color which I've not seen here (So Cal).

It is a beautiful tile. We couldn't use it (Lightwaves) because NPT did not have the adequate quantity.

You may want to seal the tile near the spa spillover walls. It has an even surface which will make it harder to clean.

Thanks LDV. The tile is NPT Sunstone Lagoon. It is very similar to Lightwaves, which was my previous choice (aquamarine), but I wanted something with more aqua in it, and this tile fit the build. Because my spillover will be a vanishing edge without any aeration (constantly submerged), I was hoping I would not have to worry about any extra cleaning requirements.

- - - Updated - - -

OH yeah! FLORIDA tile in the house!!! BLING!!! Love it!

Yeah that grout will lighten up as it dries.BUT no one will even see it with that tile!!!

Kim:kim:

Kimkats, of course you know I thought of you when I selected this tile. I thought, if this does not satisfy Kim's Bling addiction, I don't know what will.:lol:

LOVE the coping and your TILE!!! [emoji170][emoji170][emoji170][emoji170][emoji170]
What grout did you use on the coping? Will you do the same with the tile?

Hi AmyJo,

I'm not sure what color grout was used for the coping. The mason told me the grout comes with the precast coping, so that it matches. I'm going with a white grout, so that each individual tile stands out. Plus my QuartzScape color is white, so I want it to match as close as possible.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
They finally started installing my tile yesterday. And I must say it was worth the wait. (The longest 8 days of my life). :compress: The tiler/mason that's installing the tile is a perfectionist. He went over all of his workers' work, checking the level and spacing of each sheet that was placed. They will be back tomorrow to start on the spa and build the fire feature. So far I am very happy with their work. :goodjob: Based on his recommendation, I will be changing the grout color from white to Delorean Grey. It's hard to capture the true beauty of iridescent glass tile in pictures, but here are pics of the progress so far.

IMG_0049.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg

I just ordered my TFP-100 Test Kit, because I "assume" I will be ready for plaster within the two weeks (after the fire feature is complete). I have gone back and forth with the PB about waiting 28 days, but he says, with the SoCal climate, that timeframe does not apply. I really want the QuartzScape Mariner Blue finish, but my PB is pushing me toward StoneScape, but I think it is too rough, and Quartzscape is the happy medium. Of course, if I didn't have a budget, AquaBright would be my first choice. However, as I get closer to the end of my pool build, I still have the decking to do and and the concrete pad for the outdoor kitchen, so I am stressing even more over that than the actual pool build. I only have $8K remaining for that, and I fear that is not enough.:cry:

SO worth the wait!!! NICE!!!

So his grout idea is to make it blend in more instead of making each tile stand out. I like it!

Kim:kim:

Beautiful!! [emoji170]

Glad you've decided against white grout.

Kim Kat & AmyJo,

I thought that I wanted each individual piece of tile to "shine'. However, I think seeing it as one monolithic piece will have more impact, which also seems to be the general consensus. So, I don't think I can go wrong. :whoot:

Tile installation is almost complete...Grouting, the installation of marker tiles on stairs and benches, and building the equipment sound wall is supposed to happen tomorrow. More pics of the tile on the spa and around the fire feature...pre-grout.

IMG_0069.jpg
IMG_0063.jpg
IMG_0059.jpg
IMG_0060.jpg
IMG_0061.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.