New Pool Build - Is my sales tax deductible?

JJ_Tex

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 17, 2019
Prosper, TX (DFW)
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Doing my taxes and its asking me if I had any "major purchases" in 2019. I usually only check yes for buying a car, but the pool was a pretty freakin big purchase in 2019. Can I write off the sales tax?

(And yes, I'm asking a tax question on a pool site. I completely understand that this is unbinding, unprofessional, non-tax person advice I'm seeking, and understand the risks of making personal tax decisions based on advice from a bunch of internet pool people. This advice will not be rebroadcast without expressed written consent from Major League Baseball.)

Sales tax is sales tax. Does not matter what it was for.

Of course, you have to meet the fairly high level of Itemized Deductions to make it worthwhile.

Reactions: JJ_Tex
I have never heard of sales tax being deductible at any point. And your pool purchase should have been mostly labor anyway I hope you weren't charged sales tax on labor. Home improvements of certain types are deductible. I was not able to deduct my pool.

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act modified the deduction for state and local income, sales and property taxes.

If you itemize deductions on Schedule A, your total deduction for state and local income, sales and property taxes is limited to a combined, total deduction of $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately).

You have the option of claiming either state and local income taxes or state and local sales taxes (you can’t claim both). If you saved your receipts throughout the year, you can add up the total amount of sales taxes you actually paid; however, your deduction is limited to $10,000 ($5,000 if married filing separately) for a combined, total of state and local income, sales and property taxes.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.