New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX - Pump problem - please help

Re: New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX

A decision has been made - we are going with PB#4. He has asked me not to post a photo of his design, as he hand draws all of his designs to scale, but we are very pleased with the design and are happy to have made a decision. Specs are below - if anyone sees anything I should be alarmed about, please let me know :)

Pool
31x15 free form - 434 square feet surface area - 9x5 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers
Spa
7x7 raised 18"
#4 bar bond beam with all #4 steel reinforced gunite
Schedule 40 PVC 2.5" suction lines with split main drains
Schedule 40 PVC 2" return lines (3)
Schedule 40 PVC 2.5" indepenent spa jet plumbing with 5 jets (3 aim flow and 2 hydrotheraputic massage)
High performance automatic dual port skimmer
Installation of a built in manual fill line
4" overflow drain
24 hour timer with freeze protection and GFCI circuit
Equipment (all Hayward)
400k btu induced draft digital heater
60 sq ft Quad DE filter with backwash valve
2HP Eco-star VS Pump
AquaRite SWG (AQR15)
1 LED light in pool and 1 LED light in spa
CLI CrystalStones Smooth in Caribbean Blue

One thing about the spa and was our biggest mistake. Find out how raised it is and if it blocks a portion of your pool when you are sitting on your deck. If you have kids it is critical. We didn't realize how raised our spa was until it was to late and my wife blew a gasket when she saw how much of the pool she couldn't see from the deck. Good thing our kids were college and high school aged.

I have a blower and it is awesome. I have a pretty powerful pump and it works fine without it but the spa is much more enjoyable with it. Blowers are relatively cheap, a couple of hundred dollars I think for the blower and then plumbing.

We're getting close to starting the build. Our pre-construction meeting is the 24th and they'll start digging a few days later.

One of the choices that's stressing me out is automation. My pool builder's standard package includes a 24 hour timer with freeze protection and GFCI circuit and an AquaRite SWCG. Should I ask to upgrade to the Aqua Plus system? I can't really figure out what that would offer me that the timer doesn't. Please help :)

Who did you end up using, Innovative pools?
A decision has been made - we are going with PB#4. He has asked me not to post a photo of his design, as he hand draws all of his designs to scale, but we are very pleased with the design and are happy to have made a decision. Specs are below - if anyone sees anything I should be alarmed about, please let me know :)

Pool
31x15 free form - 434 square feet surface area - 9x5 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers
Spa
7x7 raised 18"
Schedule 40 PVC 2.5" indepenent spa jet plumbing with 5 jets (3 aim flow and 2 hydrotheraputic massage)
4" overflow drain
24 hour timer with freeze protection and GFCI circuit
Equipment (all Hayward)
2HP Eco-star VS Pump
AquaRite SWG (AQR15)

We're finally starting! They drew the pool in the yard today, inspection scheduled for Monday, excavation scheduled for Thursday or Friday. Just to recap, I've posted the pool info and design below. I tried to get a good shot of the outline in the yard, but it isn't great. This forum has been such a great source of information during the planning process. Thanks to everyone!!

Pool
32x15 free form - 434 square feet surface area - 9x5 tanning ledge with 2 bubblers
Spa
7x7 raised 18"
4" overflow drain
Equipment (all Hayward)
2HP Eco-star VS Pump
AquaPlus SWG (AQR15)
Oklahoma flagstone coping
image.jpgimage.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Re: New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX - Finally Starting!

I have a light question. We are getting one white LED in the spa and one in the pool that will be placed on the left hand side of the pool. Our PB thinks 2 full size lights in the pool will be too much, but I'm concerned that the tanning ledge area will be too dark.

One of our options is getting a CrystaLogic 160/320 accent light on the tanning ledge. Does anyone have any experience with these?

I have a light question. We are getting one white LED in the spa and one in the pool that will be placed on the left hand side of the pool. Our PB thinks 2 full size lights in the pool will be too much, but I'm concerned that the tanning ledge area will be too dark.

One of our options is getting a CrystaLogic 160/320 accent light on the tanning ledge. Does anyone have any experience with these?

If you are putting bubblers on the ledge, why not put LED bubblers... that would help with light, at least when they are on...

based on your design, you might like two nichless lights ... one under each of the falls from the spa.. they would point away from the house and toward each are of the pool...

If you are putting bubblers on the ledge, why not put LED bubblers... that would help with light, at least when they are on...

based on your design, you might like two nichless lights ... one under each of the falls from the spa.. they would point away from the house and toward each are of the pool...

I thought about those, but I really want the option for the light to be on when the bubblers aren't running.

Can someone confirm that the bubbler lights can be on while the bubbler is off, and if so, how the light distribution on the ledge is in that scenario (and note how deep your ledge is).

New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX - Finally Starting!

You might want to confirm with your builder about your combination of flag stone and SWG. My experience with Texas builds is that SWGs aren't used with natural stone from the area because the stone is too soft and the SWG will eat the stone (unless you spend a lot of time/money/effort sealing and revealing the stone).

Also, depending on what kind of trees are around the pool you're going to want more than one skimmer or you're going to spend extra time cleaning the basket so you don't lose suction...

Re: New Pool Build in SW Austin, TX - Excavation Stage

Almost done digging. About a foot down they hit solid limestone. It's been very loud & I feel bad for my neighbors. I'm hopeful they'll be done tomorrow. We also picked out our coping stone and tile. Opinions are welcome and appreciated as I am challenged in that area.

Stone and Tile

Rocky Dig

Can someone confirm that the bubbler lights can be on while the bubbler is off, and if so, how the light distribution on the ledge is in that scenario (and note how deep your ledge is).

I will be able to at the end of the week, after my water is in my pool. But I believe so, because the lights are wired to my Easytouch 8, as an Aux. The pump control for the bubbler feature is controlled separately. If you are using a different system than Easytouch, I would think it would be similar. For example, I do not need the lights on the bubblers during the day, so I would think they could be off separately.

Here you go... 7" wetdeck depth really lights it up well. I don't think the depth will matter... AND the bubblers can be off, they are controlled seperately :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.